Utah General Deer Units

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I have acquired too many points for Utah general. After this year I will have 12 as I am just buying a point this year. I just kept buying points when putting in for other species. At some point I need to cash these things in, but I am not sure if time spent on a general unit in Utah is worth it. I know big deer are shot by guys on these units, and if you shoot big deer and want to be my friend, I am always looking for news friends. lol. My question is should I just keep buying and hope for Utah making a favorably shift, i.e. new unit or later season. Or, should I cash them asap? Thoughts?

nobody

WKR
Cash them in. None of the Utah general units are super great. There are big bucks on every unit in the state with some effort, but I wouldn't spend any more money getting any more points. And I'm from Utah.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd probably share them with someone and go see some new country. Deer numbers are way down and not rebounding in the near future.

They are cheap enough to just keep collecting without to much thought.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

If you hold on to them and could time it right with Pine Valley it could be really good.
Significant tag cuts this year so in a year or two assuming it gets good moisture...

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
If you have the time, go hunt. Even as it currently sits, Utah is one of the better mule deer states.

It's your call all we can do is give data. The State is a bit messed up with what reality is and what they think it is. To make this symbolic point I would say, "a man wrestling in a NCAA womens swimming contest to us is wrong, very wrong, but to the State of Utah, it makes perfect sense". The State is only dropping the Beaver unit by 300 hundred deer tags this year. I just heard this today. There are limited deer herds here period. They are also believing there are 1500 head of elk when in reality there is more like 3/4 of that. They have excessively handed out cow tags for too many years and wiped out generations of elk. My point is they will continue to deplete what wild life exists until it doesn't. I am a resident and have not drawn a general deer tag in 3 years. If I don't draw this year, it will be 4. It isn't getting better

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
You could maybe see about finding a resident that knows a unit down pretty good and put in as a group/hunt with them. I know most people here especially on the general units are super secret with their spots so I’m not sure how good that would work. There’s been lots of hunters and I’ve been seeing less deer then I used so I would cash them in before it gets any worse.

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
Mule deer populations are suffering all over the western US. As stated above, they likely aren’t going to improve any time soon. That said, a lot of great deer are shot every year on “horrible” general units in Utah. I am a Utah resident and I try to hunt different units throughout the state just to see and learn and hunt some new country. I’ve killed 3 180+ deer in the last 5 years on 3 different units. I have applied for and anticipate drawing a different unit this year (one I’ve never hunted before) and will hope for similar results, but will have a great adventure no matter what happens. I also hunt a 0 point unit in Colorado with similar results. My point is, hunt as often as you can. The advice above to share them if possible with someone with local knowledge is spot on. I’m sure there are many people who wouldn’t mind making that trade.

Are you a Resident or Non-resident?

If its General Season points (and not LE) I would probably put in as a group with someone. Or, just cash out. Utah has desert and high country units with similar success rates and size of bucks.

Mule deer populations are suffering all over the western US. As stated above, they likely aren’t going to improve any time soon. That said, a lot of great deer are shot every year on “horrible” general units in Utah. I am a Utah resident and I try to hunt different units throughout the state just to see and learn and hunt some new country. I’ve killed 3 180+ deer in the last 5 years on 3 different units. I have applied for and anticipate drawing a different unit this year (one I’ve never hunted before) and will hope for similar results, but will have a great adventure no matter what happens. I also hunt a 0 point unit in Colorado with similar results. My point is, hunt as often as you can. The advice above to share them if possible with someone with local knowledge is spot on. I’m sure there are many people who wouldn’t mind making that trade.
You and I should be friends. I'll buy the beer and whiskey but you are apparently spotting bucks for me

OP
H

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
Are you a Resident or Non-resident?

If its General Season points (and not LE) I would probably put in as a group with someone. Or, just cash out. Utah has desert and high country units with similar success rates and size of bucks.
I am a NR.