Utah, La Sal and San Juan

jm1607

WKR
Well, I'm finally getting up there in points where I have a real chance to draw.

Have it pretty narrowed down to the San Juan's or La Sal, "Summer" season.

I guess my question is as far as overall habitat goes.. Is one the the units more suited for glassing & spot/stalking? I don't want to run dogs and I want to take my rifle, not my bow... Also, how does the overall population compare?

Jm1607,

i am a houndsman and have extensive time on both units during hound-eligible seasons. Go SanJuan for sure. La sals in the summer time are an absolute shit show with general recreation due to Moab.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Thanks man!

That was the kind of answer I was looking for. If there was any big reason to stay away from one... I love Moab but I don't want to be hunting anywhere near the craziness ;) Didn't even think about that...

colby12

WKR
Realize it’s been a while but curious on what you’ve decided to do. With the summer traffic on the la sals is there a way to get away from the people? Mainly because I’ve already put in and didn’t think about that factor when I did.

BigT

FNG
I have hunted bear on the LaSals though it was during the spot and stalk hunt. Harvested an old cinnamon phased bear. It's true that there are plenty of people who traverse around the LaSal Mountains, but the majority will drive the LaSal Loop Road. You do get quite a few people over to the Dons and Hidden Lake areas, but even with all the people there, I see bear there every time I go. The place has a lot of bear.

The tourists will stay on the main roads and won't be cruising some of the higher elevation roads. Would love to give you some additional input as the bears down there have reeked havoc on the deer.

colby12

WKR
Thank you, more information would be awesome. I’ve got ten points which should mean I’ve got a pretty good chance. I’ll be traveling from Oklahoma and plan to spend a good chunk of time there if I get the tag in June.

BigT

FNG
I can't do the private message yet, but should be able to before too long. Let me know on your draw through private message and I'd be happy to give you some details of the unit. I might be down there a little more than normal this year scouting. Still trying to decide if I will put in for the spot and stalk hunt this year as I have enough points to pull the tag again myself. But this hunt opens in late September.

colby12

WKR
I am also on probation and cannot send private messages. I looked at the spot and stalk for me but for my points it wasn't ideal, or maybe it would have been, who knows. Ill shoot you a message when I am able!

The breeze

FNG
Classified Approved
I know this in a old thread but i drew the San Juan Multi season. my cell # is 520-248-1350 if anyone wants to talk about san juan bears i am all ears. I plan to hunt the fall hunt with dogs.

Thx!

Tom

BigT

FNG
Assuming your using an outfitter with dogs, not a lot to worry about. They ought to have that pretty mapped out. I am not as familiar with San Juan as other areas.. Good luck!

I have hunted bear on the LaSals though it was during the spot and stalk hunt. Harvested an old cinnamon phased bear. It's true that there are plenty of people who traverse around the LaSal Mountains, but the majority will drive the LaSal Loop Road. You do get quite a few people over to the Dons and Hidden Lake areas, but even with all the people there, I see bear there every time I go. The place has a lot of bear.

The tourists will stay on the main roads and won't be cruising some of the higher elevation roads. Would love to give you some additional input as the bears down there have reeked havoc on the deer.

Howdy BigT. My mom drew the summer LaSal bear hunt for this 2022 season. We’re planning on baiting and getting her a chance at a nice bear. Any advice you may have from your experiences out there, I’d love to hear.

BigT

FNG
Howdy BigT. My mom drew the summer LaSal bear hunt for this 2022 season. We’re planning on baiting and getting her a chance at a nice bear. Any advice you may have from your experiences out there, I’d love to hear.
When you are able to PM me, send me a PM and we can chat.