Utah Morgan/south Rich Moose

As of yesterday I find myself the lucky tag holder for moose in Utah. Sure I got the email some time ago and I have been excited but it still didnt seem real until the tag arrived in the mail. I have been to my unit 4 weekends since the email came out and have found some places that I think should hold moose. Unfortunately I have only found one moose in that time and it was on private land. I know there is a LOT of private ground up there and it limits where I can hunt. I am not the guy to generally ask for help but this is a once in a lifetime tag in Utah so I would love to get a great bull. Or at least a bull at all. I dont mind hiking in and covering ground and doing the work. I have talked to the biologist for that area and he didnt offer as much help as I had hoped. Really it might not make much difference where they are now compared to Sep when the hunt starts and the rut is on. Part of my problem is I have never hunted moose and am not familiar with them compared to other big game animals.
I have read various articles about hunts in other states (mostly Alaska) and Canada. They are helpful but if anyone knows an article or website that has great info I am glad to read it.
If anyone has a tidbit of info for that area or are familiar with finding moose or their habits I would appreciate a PM.

All the best

Last edited:
I had a Moose tag on Bear Springs CWMU a couple years ago. Part of it is within the unit boundaries. You don't have a lot of area really that is not private land or CWMU's. Maybe get ahold of some of the land owners and see what the cost would be to hunt their land. Other than that you really don't have too much area to hunt. the north west part of the unit is really the only big piece of land that is not private. I would 100% be spending ALL my time their looking. Remember you will be hunting it during the rut and they can cover some ground. I wouldn't worry too much about finding bulls rather finding where cows are. Utahs moose pop isn't the best. Also... If you only have limited time for your hunt i would hunt the tail end of the hunt the end of the hunt in Utah is always better for the rut.

Found this old thread from UW net for cows but would still apply to now. https://utahwildlife.net/forum/12-big-game/6843-moose-morgan-south-rich.html

OP
T
To you gents that sent PMs and Lundell. I greatly appreciate the help. My bull wasnt the biggest out there but it sure was a great time.
Last Friday morning the first thing I heard when I got out of the truck was a grunt just up the canyon. I knew the best vantage would be to go up the opposite side of the canyon from the bull and had to get above the trees. Within 30 yards I spotted him. My buddy called him right down to 102 yards and I made it happen. 2 shots right through the lungs and he was down. Then the work started. Fortunately we were close to the road but the country was really steep. 6 hours later we had him dressed out and back to camp. What a crazy exhausting morning. One of the most memorable I have ever had.
Thanks again to those that offered some advice.moosen.jpgmoose.jpg

Congrats on drawing the tag and congrats on your moose. I found this thread by searching because my buddy has been applying for this hunt. Of course his odds are still 0.5% or something, but crazier things have happened. We have seen a lot of bull moose on public land in this unit (while deer or elk hunting of course).