Utah Muzzleloader

Looking ahead to next season (2020). Thinking about applying for a Utah muzzleloader tag. I've never hunted mule deer, and just started to do a little digging on this. I'd like to start working my way through the deer slam. This time frame would fit well in my schedule. I'm thinking either mulies or coues would be the next objective. Leaning toward mulies though. I'm not real picky on size, and I'm in good physical condition and have a muzzleloader I'm pretty comfortable with. I'd probably truck camp, but open to backpacking.
1. In the right area is it reasonable to think you'd draw this tag with no points?
2. Is this is a decent time to hunt them? It seems like I've heard september is a tough time.
3. What sort of things would you look for while you are researching?
4. Anybody have any experience with this?

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
I began and hunted muzzleloader here in Utah every year since 2015. Early on I played the so called "loop hole" for tags, but that no longer exists. With the loop hole closed I think drawing odds are still being figured out to some degree. In my area you use to could get the muzzy tag yearly with no points. This year I can't remember if the odds were 1 or 2 points as a resident. I would bet there is a unit that is drawable with no points.

Here's the link to the draw odds page

As far as time of year to hunt mulies, it's been my favorite. Fall colors, bugling elk, cooler temps, and the deer are still largely bachelored up and patternable.

If it were me, I think I'd look at the draw history and see what units could be had for zero points. Then see where they are on the map and go from there.

OP
C
Thanks for the info. From a quick glance it looks like there's a decent amount with a reasonable chance of drawing. That gives me a good starting point. What are "cooler temps" for Utah that time of year?

Thanks

As far as time of year it’s usually a damp week with clouds sitting low on the mountain and drizzling a lot but there’s also dry years or years where we get 6” of snow so be prepared for everything. As far as hunting iv seen most of my best bucks during the muzzleloader and would recommend the experience of it to anybody. Good luck!