Utah Opener is here

Yes, thi

s area holds the herds while the other is a more rugged safe area that the bulls choose. The problem is once the hunter pressure begins, the herds will drop into the bull areas to avoid the pressure. This ends up creating an early "herding up" mentality by the bulls and the spikes get kicked out pretty quickly.
I just hope to be able to get up there and hunt once work is done and the opening week hunters all have to go back home. The cam #2 has the better bed areas just about a half mile from this place. Very few rubs in it too, so I suspect it used by herds and not bulls. It is just so steep and deep in here, it's tough to get them out solo in the high heat temps we're experiencing this week. Next week is looking to be the right timing.

Don’t have to be solo. I got a pack. Lol. Looking to get my first elk this year. Sound like you found a nice area. I’m probably gonna have to get it done in extended archery or rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
you didn't miss much. i'll get back out soon but haven't seen much to get excited about.

good luck on your hunt!

I suspect them big hairy bodies don't get up and move much, other than to relocate and stay in the shade.
:)

North facing, with cooled air from creeks and rivers is likely gonna hold what is hidden. Best of luck to you

Sled

WKR
I suspect them big hairy bodies don't get up and move much, other than to relocate and stay in the shade.
:)

North facing, with cooled air from creeks and rivers is likely gonna hold what is hidden. Best of luck to you

That's where I've been. Had good elk a couple weeks prior to the opener. I think there was an outside source of pressure in an area they use adjacent to the area I hunt. Sign dried up when a type 3 IC team moved in.

OP
mfllood3800
That's where I've been. Had good elk a couple weeks prior to the opener. I think there was an outside source of pressure in an area they use adjacent to the area I hunt. Sign dried up when a type 3 IC team moved in.

lol
those teams and their drills.
Last year I had 2 separate encounters with totally killable elk, get soiled by unethical and law breaking "hunters" I use Hunter loosely. I think they got promoted to a type 3 IC team.

I didn't see elk this morning, but their tracks were every where. judging by where they came from and went to it is an evening location not morning. So I will set up on them in the evening. Mann it was. I stayed out til just before 11. And it was already 85 degrees. Started getting texts from work so rather than spook them, I backed out

Sled

WKR
these guys weren't doing drills. it was an active fire with lots of air and ground resources. i think they took up part of the loop i noticed the elk using. lots fire activity when the RH gets to the teens and rain has been scarce.

OP
mfllood3800
these guys weren't doing drills. it was an active fire with lots of air and ground resources. i think they took up part of the loop i noticed the elk using. lots fire activity when the RH gets to the teens and rain has been scarce.

Oh my bad, I thought you were using a symbolism about guys coming in like a wrecking crew while they were hunting.

Utah has been dry dry dry and hot hot hot