Utah Opener is here

Heading out to archery spike elk in Utah Saturday. Seems like forever since my last hunt. Freezer needs fillin'.
It's a hot one out there too.
I was packing my puffy, hoody and my sawtooth and then remembered, its 80 degrees up there. lol
I removed the sawtooth. I always have a puffy and a rain top, old habits are hard to break.

Found my old diaphragm calls, got em wet and yep, they still make noise.
Decided to use the Exo 2000 for this hunt.
No tent, stove or normal extended hunt items. Just day hunts for the first few days.

Getting excit

Heading out to archery spike elk in Utah Saturday. Seems like forever since my last hunt. Freezer needs fillin'.
It's a hot one out there too.
I was packing my puffy, hoody and my sawtooth and then remembered, its 80 degrees up there. lol
I removed the sawtooth. I always have a puffy and a rain top, old habits are hard to break.

Found my old diaphragm calls, got em wet and yep, they still make noise.
Decided to use the Exo 2000 for this hunt.
No tent, stove or normal extended hunt items. Just day hunts for the first few days.

Getting excit
Good luck! Take some pictures :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I’m planning to shoot the first antlered buck in range. Going to burn most of my vacation helping some buddies. Should be fun!

Can’t wait either. First time ever elk hunting. Moved to Utah a year ago. Will be out later than I wanted Saturday morning but I may camp out somewhere for Sunday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of work Monday through Wednesday, so I'm in the mountains with my bow swatting flies with my hat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
haha I got stuck working and haven't gotten up there yet.
I did check cameras and had some nice critters on them so I am still hopeful.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    359.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 74
OP
mfllood3800
more from cam #2

Attachments

• IMAG0017.JPG
    IMAG0017.JPG
    670.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAG0031.JPG
    IMAG0031.JPG
    350.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAG0050.JPG
    IMAG0050.JPG
    724.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0057.JPG
    IMAG0057.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0076.JPG
    IMAG0076.JPG
    514.5 KB · Views: 78
haha I got stuck working and haven't gotten up there yet.
I did check cameras and had some nice critters on them so I am still hopeful.

Looking good! Rubbing already eh? I figured it would be a few more days.

Are you in a Utah OTC unit?

OP
mfllood3800
Looking good! Rubbing already eh? I figured it would be a few more days.

Are you in a Utah OTC unit?

I am directly in the middle of 2 OTC units. One is Spike the other any bull.
These pics were from a 2-3 weeks ago.
I shot a bull in one unit 2 years ago and he was almost totally rubbed. And it was the 2nd day of the season. They go in all sorts of variations.

Sometimes they even run uphill when shot.
:)

sneaky

"DADDY"
Quite a few of the bulls I saw in Nevada last week were already rubbed. Fresh rubbed because they were still bleached white looking antlers. You need to go kill that spike and relax this fall lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Yes, thi
i'm going to go out on a limb here and say cam #1 is your spike unit:cool:
s area holds the herds while the other is a more rugged safe area that the bulls choose. The problem is once the hunter pressure begins, the herds will drop into the bull areas to avoid the pressure. This ends up creating an early "herding up" mentality by the bulls and the spikes get kicked out pretty quickly.
I just hope to be able to get up there and hunt once work is done and the opening week hunters all have to go back home. The cam #2 has the better bed areas just about a half mile from this place. Very few rubs in it too, so I suspect it used by herds and not bulls. It is just so steep and deep in here, it's tough to get them out solo in the high heat temps we're experiencing this week. Next week is looking to be the right timing.

OP
mfllood3800
Quite a few of the bulls I saw in Nevada last week were already rubbed. Fresh rubbed because they were still bleached white looking antlers. You need to go kill that spike and relax this fall lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That sounds like a perfect plan.

OP
mfllood3800
Well I finally have a morning I can get away from work and go investigate a spot I found last year. Not able to go high, but this area can hold elk and on these hot days, I suspect they will be in this area staying cool. Hope I see some and at least get a feel for their habits. Kind of sucks missing the first week, but oh well , priorities.

Sled

WKR
Well I finally have a morning I can get away from work and go investigate a spot I found last year. Not able to go high, but this area can hold elk and on these hot days, I suspect they will be in this area staying cool. Hope I see some and at least get a feel for their habits. Kind of sucks missing the first week, but oh well , priorities.

you didn't miss much. i'll get back out soon but haven't seen much to get excited about.

good luck on your hunt!