Utah Permit Numbers?

stevie

Lil-Rokslider
In the past (if remember correctly) the Utah planner showed how many res/non-res permits per unit. Looking today, noticed that no numbers were giving but said this "2021 permit numbers will be set at the April 2021 Wildlife Board Meeting"

So now, non-res will not know if they are applying to a res area only? Is there another area on the website that gives number of permits for 2021 for deer and elk?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
No, they usually shade the resident only hunts in a different color (blue I believe). Number of permits isn’t listed, that comes later and does not always follow last year.

That’s how they’ve done it as long as I’ve applied in Utah. Super frustrating they don’t have permit numbers decided before you apply for a hunt by I guess that’s how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes Utah has always made you apply then set the permit numbers.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
The last year they had tag numbers prior to the app closure was when I drew in 2010. That year they had the proposed numbers out and I applied to a unit that had an addl nr tag.

It is frustrating, although it’s proper management and all states should do something similar.

The reason Utah does not set permit numbers now- They are waiting for winter to end, and biologists to perform post winter population counts, to recommend harvest numbers.

Instead of moving the draw back, this is their solution to get results out as early as possible. And imo, this is the way every state should do it.

Take a bad winter, or in this years case, drought.... numbers have to be adjusted.

KineKilla

WKR
Wrong.

Utah does not do it the right way. Making people pay for applications for permits that may not exist is absolutely the wrong way to conduct business.

They could wait to open the application period and shorten the draw process and still get results out on time. All the draws are automated and a computer could generate the winning numbers in a very short time.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

It is frustrating, although it’s proper management and all states should do something similar.

The reason Utah does not set permit numbers now- They are waiting for winter to end, and biologists to perform post winter population counts, to recommend harvest numbers.

Instead of moving the draw back, this is their solution to get results out as early as possible. And imo, this is the way every state should do it.

Take a bad winter, or in this years case, drought.... numbers have to be adjusted.

Last year a lot of people who get to archery hunt every single year by picking 100% draw units missed a season of hunting because Utah dropped tag numbers in some of those units. Had they posted numbers they would have known to apply for different units. I’m sure those people wouldn’t have minded waiting for tag numbers to be available before applying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong.

Utah does not do it the right way. Making people pay for applications for permits that may not exist is absolutely the wrong way to conduct business.

They could wait to open the application period and shorten the draw process and still get results out on time. All the draws are automated and a computer could generate the winning numbers in a very short time.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

You don’t have to pay for anything in Utah minus your application fee.
And, there is at least one guaranteed permit you can draw, if they let you apply.

I agree. They should wait before the process even starts. But there is more to it than just conducting the draw.

If it sucks so bad, and is wrong way to conduct business, why do you apply?

Maybe you can list off the other states that do it right?

CorbLand

WKR
I understand why Utah does it the way they do but I wish they would push the draw back until after numbers have been released. Its frustrating to put in for something then watch tags get cut, which would have changed what I applied for.

I got it in the sack this last year. I like to muzzleloader hunt but prefer to hunt period. I applied for a muzzleloader tag, then they cut tags and I didnt draw. I would have put in for an archery tag if I knew they would cut tags like they did. Sucks but what do you do.

Last edited:

IdahoHntr

WKR

100% agree that states should be adjusting tag numbers in real time, and there are a whole lot of states that could do better at that. Still isn't right to set tag numbers after people have put in. Really threw a wrench in hunting plans last year for us, and last year with the tag cuts, people did actually put in for hunts that didn't issue any tags in the dedicated hunter program.

Plenty of time to set tag numbers and have the draw application period close after the tag numbers are set. It's not like they can do the draw until the tag numbers are set anyway, so why do they need people to be committed already? Other states have later application periods and do fine. Hell, Idaho's doesn't even open till May. Set tag numbers and close the application period first week of April and they'd be golden.

It's a money play like a lot of things. Being one of the first states to have an application period gets people to commit before they have found out if they can get tags in other states. I don't blame states trying to maximize the money, but honestly with the demand of western hunting it wouldn't hurt Utah a bit to move their application back.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nevada does, or at least used to do, the same thing. I applied several times going off past tag numbers, then they cut tag numbers after the apps were in. It is what it is, nothing to get wound up over. Utah has almost twice as many deer as Nevada now, doesn't mean I'm going to apply though. Everybody bitched about Idaho raising their NR tag prices when Utah did theirs first and hardly a peep. These states aren't going to change their application periods anytime soon, because they have their order in line now and guys are used to it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk