Utah Points

cfdjay

WKR
Hey fellas. Last year I bought some Utah points and they are showing up on my profile on the state website. I bought some again this year, had a voicemail for the state asking about my "upland bird hunt" and no points are showing. I went back over my records and I'm sure I bought 3 points again because the money out of my account is in relation. I'm sure it was a mistake phone call but shouldn't I see those points online? Or will they not show up until after the draws?

They may not show up until after draw but keep an eye on it.
They are setting tag numbers today.
Since you bought a license for the points you could have participated in an upland hunt, you just made the random list for the survey.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
They may not show up until after draw but keep an eye on it.
They are setting tag numbers today.
Since you bought a license for the points you could have participated in an upland hunt, you just made the random list for the survey.

Makes sense. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Problem.
What doesn't make sense is why they are setting tag numbers today yet make us apply in February.

warrior80

WKR
No Problem.
What doesn't make sense is why they are setting tag numbers today yet make us apply in February.
That's no joke. Drives me crazy that they make us wait so long for the draw in Utah. Should be a much shorter process.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

UtahJimmy

WKR
That's no joke. Drives me crazy that they make us wait so long for the draw in Utah. Should be a much shorter process.

Not to be a dick, but what difference does it make if you pay them $10 in February or May? They don't make us fork out the tag money upfront, so no matter what you're not getting a refund. They don't charge you until you draw. Your money is being well used to support the DWR, as a sportsman you should be happy to give them your money.

warrior80

WKR
Not to be a dick, but what difference does it make if you pay them $10 in February or May? They don't make us fork out the tag money upfront, so no matter what you're not getting a refund. They don't charge you until you draw. Your money is being well used to support the DWR, as a sportsman you should be happy to give them your money.
It's not about the money. It would be nice to know which tags I'm going to draw sooner so we can plan. Other states can put out draw results in a matter of a couple weeks after applications. With online applications and today's technology, there's no reason we should have to wait three months.

UtahJimmy

WKR
It's not about the money. It would be nice to know which tags I'm going to draw sooner so we can plan. Other states can put out draw results in a matter of a couple weeks after applications. With online applications and today's technology, there's no reason we should have to wait three months.

Agreed, it is frustrating, sorry for assuming. I'm just tired of some sportsman whining about paying money and waiting. Indeed it would be nice if they set the tag numbers, published them, and then had our applications due. Very logical to go in that order!

They reason they have the application window open so early is to be the first state to crack open your wallet for the draw and that is it. They figure if they were at the same time or later than the other states they could loose out on application due to people no longer having the funds. Whether it is a valid argument in today's world is up for debate but when they decided that it was probably a valid point.

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
For me its not about the wait (although a shorter one would be nice to plan for hunts) its about the fact that they have hunters putting in for units that they have not even set tag numbers for. This year with such a hard winter being a prime example. I usually archery hunt the cache unit for deer, would be nice to know how hard that unit was hit and what the tag numbers would be before I apply for a tag. Applies even more so for those putting in for LE units. The wait for a LE tag is bad enough in this state, only to compound it with unknown tag numbers before you put in.

I plan on rifle hunting the cache this fall. It was hit hard but hopefully from what I've learned from Robbys winter blog I'll be able to make something happen.
I feel bad for non residents who don't know if a unit will have 1 or 2 tags so makes playing the bonus point game hard.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's pretty sensible to wait till you roughly know the herd count before you decide how many tags to issue. In February they don't know how many animals are going to survive the winter, hence the tag #'s are not known with certainty.

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's pretty sensible to wait till you roughly know the herd count before you decide how many tags to issue. In February they don't know how many animals are going to survive the winter, hence the tag #'s are not known with certainty.

Its extremely sensible to wait till this time of year to accurately asses the herds and allow the biologists time to make their recommendations on tag numbers. What is not sensible is asking hunters to apply for said tags before the state even knows what will be available. kinda putting the cart before the horse.