Utah Pronghorn Success

TX_Diver

WKR
I was out last weekend and had some luck with the antelope.

Trip started about 2 weeks ago on Sunday 8/14 when I started packing and pulled my tag out of the safe. I had a flight booked for the season opener of 8/18 with plans to fly home Monday 8/23. On grabbing my tag I realized that the season didn't open til 8/21!! Fortunately I was able to change my flights and the rental car prices had even gone down! So I flew out 8/21 with plans to return home on 8/28.

6bGZlSIh.jpg

I flew in on Saturday and spent the day visiting Black Rifle Coffee HQ, grabbing lunch, groceries, fuel for the stove, etc. With severe thunderstorms forecast I checked into a hotel and got an early night sleep.

I kept my van reservation and figured I'd stick to the main roads. Since it'd dumped rain the night before I wasn't able to hit some of the smaller ones that were particularly sandy, but the gravel roads were fine.

iSkcT91h.jpg

The next morning I got up and rolled out to the unit. Arriving late morning I glassed up a bedded goat with the binos and planned out a stalk. It seemed pretty straightforward so I didn't pull out the spotter to investigate further. 45 min later I arrived and found no goat but a tan/white rock. I didn't shoot it.

I drove around a bit more and after not finding any goats (or even anymore rocks that looked like goats) I got back on the hwy and moved to another main road within the unit.

Coming around a bend I saw some good terrain and stopped to glass. 200 yards away a buck stood up and walked off. I watched him head over a hill then continued along the main road to check out that area then come back after eating lunch.

I ate lunch (pre-made sandwich from Smiths), talked with some locals riding dirtbikes, and then set off to stalk that goat as he was in a good spot with some small hills. I got to where he was last seen, opened up my decoy fan (killergear antelope fan) and kind of picked my way through the hills. 1/2 mile later or so I finally found him but he was another 7-800 yards further away. Since the terrain wasn't challenging I figured I'd keep going. At about 400 yards he finally sees the decoy and started heading my way so I stopped and waited. Not seeing anything after a few min I glass again and turn him up heading the other way towards a small group. I continue the stalk but at about 300 yards bump a coyote who then ran straight to the goats and blew them out.

At that point I head back to the van and go down another main road in the unit. It's ~12PM. I spent the next 3 hours or so checking out the country, glassing up some goats that I couldn't get to, and eventually find some more to chase. I tried to approach these ones using 2 trucks leaving with 4 wheelers as cover. They continued to bump but only going 50-100 yards at a time and then pausing to watch me (wearing a be the decoy hat and holding the antelope fan this time). Eventually at 150 yards they decide I'm not actually an antelope and take off. The buck in that group was really nice though!

Terrain of 2nd (actual) stalk
NrxELQbh.jpg

At that point I decide to go back to where I'd glassed up the bucks I couldn't get to and try to setup the decoy and then wait and see if they'd get curious and come to me. I'm about a half hour from the main road due to going slow in my van.

Finally I get back to the main road and start rolling back to where I want to setup when I spot a small group (1 buck, 2 does, and 1 fawn). Figuring I have nothing to lose I pull off and decide to try the be the decoy hat and shirt this time. This time it works and I was able to almost just walk up to 70 yards and get a shot on the buck. I hit him perfectly and he sprinted a 50 yard circle, then crashed. I could see blood pumping out of him through the binos after the shot.

Bow is a PSE EVL 34 (with 70 lb limbs from an NTN). Hamskea Hybrid Hunter rest, nock 2 it release, Easton Axis arrows w/ 100gr Rage NCs, ~540 grains at 263fps.

My first antelope with a bow.

YqUU3kXh.jpg

yJep97Jh.jpg

1ZyDm6Gh.jpg

I had bought some 1/4" particle board to sleep on since the floor was ribbed (and filthy) but it came in handy for butchering.

v7hZqzOh.jpg

Fun hunt and nice to have some first day success! I'm far from an accomplished bowhunter (this is only my 2nd bow kill) but I was stoked with this buck.

Last edited:
OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Few misc. thoughts/notes to add.

1 - onX kept crashing on me so I switched to using gohunt maps. I had this problem last year where onX would crash every hour or so but this time it was every time I closed the screen... gohunt worked great, even offline (although I had cell service 90% of the time).

2 - Airlines don't seem very flexible with their baggage policy regarding weight (although they do seem flexible on size). My cooler was 58lbs and I ended up paying $140 to check it as my 2nd bag. I'd shipped my other suitcase home (for $100 w/ UPS) as I thought I'd be able to check my cooler for $40 and save a few bucks. Ultimately that ended up costing me $60 more than if I'd just checked all 3 bags... Never had an issue with either of my oversize bags though at least.

3 - I flew out with no cooler and bought one there cheap from facebook marketplace. I was going to give it away if I didn't shoot anything. Now I'll probably just sell it here at home and should be able to get my $ back (so I can buy another one when I fly to WY next month).

4 - Rental agency's don't seem to take very good care of their vans as they get abused. The van was filthy so I grabbed the wood to put on the floor (floor was also ribbed). The wood came in handy at butchering time.

5 - Be the decoy hat worked for me. Had mixed results in the past (no antelope harmed) but this buck let me come up to him w/ the hat and shirt on.

6 - I did not bring an archery target so I stopped in at a local shop and checked my bow at their range post flight.

If I think of other things that I may want to reference back to I'll add them too. Trying to decide what I want to do for a rental car on my next hunt right now as I'm not flying in/out of the same location.

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
Good work!! What unit ? I saw a big group off of the 15 freeway on the way home from Muley hunting.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Doesn't take long to eat through one of these. Front legs are gone!

Coated w/ some olive oil, cumin, garlic, thyme, paprika, chili powder, and whatever else looked good at the time from the spice rack. Threw on the grill with some onions and tomatos in a cast iron below and slow cooked for awhile. Was thinking I'd need to throw it all in the cast iron and braise it to finish but when the meat hit 145 it was still tender so I pulled it off and ate!

Made some greek(ish) garlic yogurt sauce for the leftovers.

52WHg5yh.jpg

6j69Pw8h.jpg

9f9SKbgh.jpg

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
Doesn't take long to eat through one of these. Front legs are gone!

Coated w/ some olive oil, cumin, garlic, thyme, paprika, chili powder, and whatever else looked good at the time from the spice rack. Threw on the grill with some onions and tomatos in a cast iron below and slow cooked for awhile. Was thinking I'd need to throw it all in the cast iron and braise it to finish but when the meat hit 145 it was still tender so I pulled it off and ate!

Made some greek(ish) garlic yogurt sauce for the leftovers.

52WHg5yh.jpg

6j69Pw8h.jpg

9f9SKbgh.jpg
What would you compare the taste of the meat too ?

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
This one tastes like gyro meat a bit (which is what I was going for).

It's probably more like goat? Or maybe a sagey version of lamb? Some people don't like it but I like that each animal tastes slightly different. It's just a little stronger flavor than beef and what most people are used to.

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Great story and thanks for sharing! I saw the Hertz van in another thread and was thinking about it...

---------------
(Backstory:
On Nov 1, I decided I want to try for a western antelope on public land, DIY, probably in WY.
On Nov 2, I discovered that the previous day was the last day to purchase preference points for me and my son. Grrrr. Figures.)

---------------
I imagine it's not easy to characterize the roads for all the public land in the state but I was interested in the fact that:
a) you got a rental car - a van even - without worrying about 4x4.
b) you mentioned gravel roads and sand...

I wasn't sure what to picture as far as road surfaces go and I only have a 2WD pickup.

I'm thinking you came from TX so was it worth flying vs driving? Was time of the essence?

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Great story and thanks for sharing! I saw the Hertz van in another thread and was thinking about it...

---------------
(Backstory:
On Nov 1, I decided I want to try for a western antelope on public land, DIY, probably in WY.
On Nov 2, I discovered that the previous day was the last day to purchase preference points for me and my son. Grrrr. Figures.)

---------------
I imagine it's not easy to characterize the roads for all the public land in the state but I was interested in the fact that:
a) you got a rental car - a van even - without worrying about 4x4.
b) you mentioned gravel roads and sand...

I wasn't sure what to picture as far as road surfaces go and I only have a 2WD pickup.

I'm thinking you came from TX so was it worth flying vs driving? Was time of the essence?

I did make a post on another forum and got some feedback that the main roads were good. That said when I got there I found lots of little roads that I wouldn't go down in the van. It had rained 1" the night before though and later in the week I may have attempted some of them. The van did have decent tires (highway).

I am actually in Wisconsin. For this hunt flying was worth it. Round trip was about $350 before bag fees. Rental van was like $300 for the week. A few things I'd do differently next time:
Better plan out my errands for when I got into town. I needed a cooler, groceries, fuel for my stove, and to shoot my bow. I did not know my way around SLC and ended up going all over town since I didn't plan out my route well (I actually tried to but the bow shop I went to was closed so then I had to double back).

I bought a cooler off facebook for like $50 and then later found out it was basically the same price on amazon except I wouldn't have had to go get it in the uber on my way to the rental car. When I flew to WY later in the year I actually just got a $20 cooler from walmart (that was only going to be needed for 3 days though and I had ice closer to me). In Utah my plan was only to come back to town once for fuel/ice and it was forecast to be in the mid 80s so I figured a 5 or 7 day cooler would be better.

I got creative and shipped my suitcase home via UPS in order to "save" on bag fees.
First checked bag was like $35 and the 2nd was $45. 3rd bag fees were like $100 or $150. I paid $98 to ship the bag via UPS (it arrived 4 days later in WI). When I got to the airport my cooler was 58lbs (50lb limit) so I ended up having to pay an extra $100 anyways. Had I just checked it as a 3rd bag I would've paid about the same so that wasn't really worth it to deal with the hassle of going to UPS. It did make it easier to navigate the airport though w/ only my bow case and a cooler. Next time I'll look for a cooler with wheels too.

I'd fly again for certain hunts but it's got to be a cheap ticket and > 1 day drive for it to really be worthwhile. If you can get there in a day without a hotel it's worth having your truck with you IMO. The only downside is that these trips do add miles to your vehicles. Later in the year I drove to WY and put 3k miles on in a week. Some rental cars have decent weekly rates so if you don't need the features of your personal vehicle it might be worth renting a car for trips too. I've done that in the past to go fishing.

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply. I'm on the east coast and would certainly rack up some miles... But I like the idea of a road trip because I haven't don't it before and it's like my son to see the country, too.

NME

FNG
Bro what a story and adventure!!!! So cool you will NEVER forget it. Thanks for sharing and great job. Really looked like a bad as$ time!

Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Thanks for the reply. I'm on the east coast and would certainly rack up some miles... But I like the idea of a road trip because I haven't don't it before and it's like my son to see the country, too.

If you've never done it before I'd suggest driving. You'll bring way too much stuff but at least that way you likely have what you need. If you fly you're limited to what you can fit in baggage and forgetting something means it's at home 1000 miles away rather than just back at the truck...

Consider renting a truck too in your hometown and driving out in that vs your truck. Booked far enough out rentals aren't super expensive (except last year) and you save the mileage on your car.

TomU

FNG
TX-Diver, Great writeup and congrats on the harvest. Living here in UT and failing to draw a tag for the past 3 years I was wondering how long it took you to get a tag?

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
TX-Diver, Great writeup and congrats on the harvest. Living here in UT and failing to draw a tag for the past 3 years I was wondering how long it took you to get a tag?
Think I had 5 or 6 points. Don’t remember but think my draw odds were like 60% or so. Are the tags that hard to draw? I thought antelope tags were generally easier to get And remember seeing a few bow tags that I could draw. Maybe I am misremembering though