Utah public land hunting is so frustrating

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure what’s happened but it seems like there are so many less animals in Utah the past few years. My son had an OTC “any bull” tag this year and we decided to go over to the Western Beaver Mountain and have a look since this is an any bull area. To be fair we’ve never hunted this area but it looked like great habitat and I’d talked to others who had hunted there for many years and had pulled a few good bulls and many many nice Muley’s out of this area years ago. They haven’t hunted there for 10+ years though so it was a crap shoot for us. Opening day we picked what appeared to be a great area with the least amount a roads nearby and some really good canyons. We walked about 5 miles the first morning and saw exactly zero elk or deer for that matter. I was stunned. Saw maybe 4-5 other hunters that day later on but they were all on ATV’s just driving the roads. We were back in away from roads and people and saw nothing. Not really even any tracks or anything. We continued like this for another 4 more days and not one elk seen and probably less than 25 head of deer in 4 days. This just blows my mind. When I was talking to people I knew that use to hunt this area they said there were deer all over the place and even some great elk herds. What’s happened to this place? Mismanagement? Mountain lions? I just don’t get it. I was just floored we didn’t see anymore animals than we did. Just doesn’t seem right. I fully expected to at least see a few cow elk during this hunt. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy or guaranteed but it just seems like I don’t see as many Elk or deer as I use to. And I’m not just talking about this area. I’m talking everywhere. One of the guys hunting with us has a cabin up in the Unitas and he said the elk herds are nowhere near what they use to be up there either. Curious what’s going on in Utah and how we got to this point. Or am I just completely wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MJB

WKR
Drought, predators & more hunters to start.
I feel when they started deer draw archery for units it went down hill. Before you had the north or south half the state. We would kill lots of yotes all over the state and would see more deer because we had more areas to hunt. Remember the drought has been going on for over a decade, less cover, less water holes better for predators.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Well for what's it's worth my neighbors just came by and said they did not see any Elk or deer. they were in Beaver east for four days. Some guys they saw on horse back had not seen anything either, so they said. They seem to think the rut is over early and the Elk moved down. They were at 8000' About 20 miles NW of beaver.

I’m not sure what’s happened but it seems like there are so many less animals in Utah the past few years. My son had an OTC “any bull” tag this year and we decided to go over to the Western Beaver Mountain and have a look since this is an any bull area. To be fair we’ve never hunted this area but it looked like great habitat and I’d talked to others who had hunted there for many years and had pulled a few good bulls and many many nice Muley’s out of this area years ago. They haven’t hunted there for 10+ years though so it was a crap shoot for us. Opening day we picked what appeared to be a great area with the least amount a roads nearby and some really good canyons. We walked about 5 miles the first morning and saw exactly zero elk or deer for that matter. I was stunned. Saw maybe 4-5 other hunters that day later on but they were all on ATV’s just driving the roads. We were back in away from roads and people and saw nothing. Not really even any tracks or anything. We continued like this for another 4 more days and not one elk seen and probably less than 25 head of deer in 4 days. This just blows my mind. When I was talking to people I knew that use to hunt this area they said there were deer all over the place and even some great elk herds. What’s happened to this place? Mismanagement? Mountain lions? I just don’t get it. I was just floored we didn’t see anymore animals than we did. Just doesn’t seem right. I fully expected to at least see a few cow elk during this hunt. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy or guaranteed but it just seems like I don’t see as many Elk or deer as I use to. And I’m not just talking about this area. I’m talking everywhere. One of the guys hunting with us has a cabin up in the Unitas and he said the elk herds are nowhere near what they use to be up there either. Curious what’s going on in Utah and how we got to this point. Or am I just completely wrong.

That area was made an any bull area not that long ago and it got hammered. The state doesn't want elk over there from what I gather. I would have been more surprised if you actually saw a bull. I may be wrong though.

Managing for trophies (LE Hunts) isn't herd management. Other western states that don't manage for trophies don't seem to have this problem...

So you thought you'd roll up to an any bull OTC unit, on public ground, in a day hike area and see a bunch of elk? No scouting, haven't been there in a decade.
Maybe that was reasonable 10-15 years ago. Morons on forums, YouTube, and all of social media ruined the last of that. Right after TV shows and magazines started the wave of stupidity. I wonder how many of those people look back wishing they'd just worked a real job and kept the hunting a secret.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
So you thought you'd roll up to an any bull OTC unit, on public ground, in a day hike area and see a bunch of elk? No scouting, haven't been there in a decade.
Maybe that was reasonable 10-15 years ago. Morons on forums, YouTube, and all of social media ruined the last of that. Right after TV shows and magazines started the wave of stupidity. I wonder how many of those people look back wishing they'd just worked a real job and kept the hunting a secret.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ya I get it. I didn’t expect to see a ton of elk but I also didn’t expect to see zero. And even more surprising was almost zero deer. I’m all over the state and typically can see deer somewhere. But out here they were few and far between. Way less than I’d have ever even guessed especially for the a,pint of terrain we covered. But no I never expected to see my son shoot a bull and went here full knowing it would be a hard hunt. Just figured we’d at least see a cow or two.

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
That area was made an any bull area not that long ago and it got hammered. The state doesn't want elk over there from what I gather. I would have been more surprised if you actually saw a bull. I may be wrong though.

Well if that’s what they want then they did a good job. Also all the hay fields are now high fence so they can’t get into them either.

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
Well for what's it's worth my neighbors just came by and said they did not see any Elk or deer. they were in Beaver east for four days. Some guys they saw on horse back had not seen anything either, so they said. They seem to think the rut is over early and the Elk moved down. They were at 8000' About 20 miles NW of beaver.

Doesn’t surprise me one bit.

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
Drought, predators & more hunters to start.
I feel when they started deer draw archery for units it went down hill. Before you had the north or south half the state. We would kill lots of yotes all over the state and would see more deer because we had more areas to hunt. Remember the drought has been going on for over a decade, less cover, less water holes better for predators.

Yes. I agree with all of what you’re saying.

2five7

WKR
How many more years until people realize that the any bull hunts are much harder than they anticipated, and we can go back to buying our tags the week before the hunt? Not likely, but a guy can dream....

CorbLand

WKR
How many more years until people realize that the any bull hunts are much harder than they anticipated, and we can go back to buying our tags the week before the hunt? Not likely, but a guy can dream....
Probably next year. I would bet that they make the any bull tags unlimited.

CorbLand

WKR
You think that's more likely than a draw? I'm guessing they'd go whichever way.akes them more money but not sure which option provides that
They tried to go unlimited this year on them so I would imagine that will be the route. I dont think it will go to draw, they are going to have to keep some OTC opportunities. Shit, if they go to a draw on them, they might as well classify elk as once in a lifetime and just be done with it.

The wildlife board approved unlimited tags for youth hunters for the 2021 season. I would bet the recommendation for unlimited across the board is made again this year and will be approved.

Last edited:
They tried to go unlimited this year on them so I would imagine that will be the route. I dont think it will go to draw, they are going to have to keep some OTC opportunities. Shit, if they go to a draw on them, they might as well classify elk as once in a lifetime and just be done with it.

I went on an unlimited in Utah this year, in 6 days I had 4 nice bulls sub 80. I spent months scouring and planning and calling everyone and their dog to get information and check my assumptions. If my partner didn't blow his brand new elk reed like a goddamn kazoo at every stick breaking or shoot over my shoulder on my day to shoot, I could have tagged 3/4 I saw.

The other was a bull at 81 I let down on. Great time, definitely had other hunter pressure, but people are lazy as shit and stay on trails and paths most of the time.