Utah public land hunting is so frustrating

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most hunters Ive talked to are against the draw, but thought maybe moving the multi season tag to a draw would decrease server issues and get the state that draw app money like they want
I agree the issue revolves around the multi season tags.
Utah dwr just throws shit at the wall to see what sticks. Every average Utahan is unhappy with DWR performance so they just keep breaking out the smoke and mirrors while running in a circle like they are doing something.
What we need to demand is mandatory harvest reporting collect actual data and make informed decisions on what's for the resource and move away from just letting SFW run the whole show.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup. Did you see the DWR is looking at going 60/40 for LE tags.
Yeah commented on that also. Going to have to start going to the meetings and calling them out on thier bull shit in person. Our meetings are in Green River Utah so inconvenience level is high.

I agree. Yes! We absolutely do need mandatory harvest reporting. I have never understood why they don't do it.

I haven't put much effort into the LE game. I came into that game late, so I don't lpay much attention to it, but wouldn't just moving all or almost all the tags to the highest point holders help to remove the creep?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. Yes! We absolutely do need mandatory harvest reporting. I have never understood why they don't do it.

I haven't put much effort into the LE game. I came into that game late, so I don't lpay much attention to it, but wouldn't just moving all or almost all the tags to the highest point holders help to remove the creep?
A quick comparison of number of people with points vs number of tags issued would leave the majority of license holders with zero chance at drawing. How would they keep license sells up for utahs share of the federal pittman funds? Even going away from a 50/50 split to 60/40 will greatly impact those with less than Max points.

Being a NR hunting public land in Utah is definitely tough. But I am thankful for the opportunity. In NV we don’t have the option to just grab a tag and go, but from my limited experience it sounds like it’s a little better since the pressure is managed. When I go out on a hunt here in NV I know there X amount of other hunts going after the same animal.
Now if Utah could do some timber work where I’m hunting so I could see more than five yards at a time, that would be great 😂

2blade

WKR
I live on the Panguitch unit and primarily bowhunt, generally by myself cause none of my friends bowhunt, they prefer rifle. I remember when Beaver west had plenty of deer and saw some monster bulls back then, about 15 years or so ago. I also remember when there were lots of deer on the Panguitch unit as well. For this season though they cut the number of deer tags by 1000 on pang and about the same on beaver cause numbers are down and I can't argue with that, its a fact. Like the other guys said, beaver west is managed for NO elk, they want em all gone.

As an old bowhunter I watched the elk hunting on Pang this year go from 4 or 5 guys in the area I like to hunt, to more hunters than elk. It seems with 1000 less deer tags and the 3 or 4 year old 3 season tag, everyone from St George bought a 3 season tag, can't blame em, its better than no hunt at all. But man, what a cluster ..... They had the elk pushed out opening weekend to who knows where? 9 days later I found em tho and managed to get one but the 3 season tag has really ruined this hunt. Case in point

15 years ago a guy I know drew a LE bull tag for panguitch, he didn't get one but had close encounters and a great time. The guys eyes light up as he was telling me stories about that hunt, man he was excited all over again. Last year he drew the tag again and said there is no way in hell he would bother with this tag again. There are so many guys now that after opening weekend a guy needs a horse or needs to hire a guide to get to where they went. I guess we could become back pack hunters but we are both in our 60's with bad backs so those days are over. From what I saw this year, I think, putting those 12,500 otc spike/general season tags into a draw and spreading everyone out is a good idea.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live on the Panguitch unit and primarily bowhunt, generally by myself cause none of my friends bowhunt, they prefer rifle. I remember when Beaver west had plenty of deer and saw some monster bulls back then, about 15 years or so ago. I also remember when there were lots of deer on the Panguitch unit as well. For this season though they cut the number of deer tags by 1000 on pang and about the same on beaver cause numbers are down and I can't argue with that, its a fact. Like the other guys said, beaver west is managed for NO elk, they want em all gone.

As an old bowhunter I watched the elk hunting on Pang this year go from 4 or 5 guys in the area I like to hunt, to more hunters than elk. It seems with 1000 less deer tags and the 3 or 4 year old 3 season tag, everyone from St George bought a 3 season tag, can't blame em, its better than no hunt at all. But man, what a cluster ..... They had the elk pushed out opening weekend to who knows where? 9 days later I found em tho and managed to get one but the 3 season tag has really ruined this hunt. Case in point

15 years ago a guy I know drew a LE bull tag for panguitch, he didn't get one but had close encounters and a great time. The guys eyes light up as he was telling me stories about that hunt, man he was excited all over again. Last year he drew the tag again and said there is no way in hell he would bother with this tag again. There are so many guys now that after opening weekend a guy needs a horse or needs to hire a guide to get to where they went. I guess we could become back pack hunters but we are both in our 60's with bad backs so those days are over. From what I saw this year, I think, putting those 12,500 otc spike/general season tags into a draw and spreading everyone out is a good idea.
How does it spread them out? Selling the same number of tags and they will still be the same general tag to hunt any open unit. What's the benefit of a draw for general tags?

UtahJimmy

WKR
I agree the issue revolves around the multi season tags.
Utah dwr just throws shit at the wall to see what sticks. Every average Utahan is unhappy with DWR performance so they just keep breaking out the smoke and mirrors while running in a circle like they are doing something.
What we need to demand is mandatory harvest reporting collect actual data and make informed decisions on what's for the resource and move away from just letting SFW run the whole show.

FYI/PSA - Last night the Northern RAC rejected the proposal to go to the draw and re-recommended that the any-bull go unlimited. The public was ADAMENT about no unlimited tags last year and these knuckleheads are going against the public with invalid data to justify their agenda.

PLEASE LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!!!

Public comments are still being taken for Southern and Northeastern RACs as well as the Wildlife board meeting:

2blade

WKR
How does it spread them out? Selling the same number of tags and they will still be the same general tag to hunt any open unit. What's the benefit of a draw for general tags?

Well, they would have actually had to do some work to determine how many tags issued, and percentage killed as a result, the herd could actually support by unit, like they do for LE bull and cow tags. Then break em up by unit. Wishful thinking on my part, the idiots don't seem to understand that its a finite resource and you can only kill so many animals per year if you want to maintain herd numbers. It seems they are on a path to destroy the elk herds like they've done to the deer herds thru the over issuance of tags.

Sled

WKR
Draw for multi season would be acceptable and likely help the overcrowding. OTC tags should stay that way for as long as possible.

It's no Travis Scott concert but the multi season tag has added hunters to every general season.

With regards to less elk on the hill in anybull areas...watch the overhunting of antlerless. It's ok to thin the herd from time to time but rotate the tags to different areas. You can't kill more elk than be born each year and expect the herd to remain stable. If your goal is reduction, good data in would help with that decision. Report harvests accurately and attempt to improve the aerial count accuracy.

Leto

FNG
That’s unfortunate.. Hopefully wildlife management can implement a plan to help bring the herd numbers back up.