Utah San Juan elk ridge or Henry mount

Hello everyone trying to get some info on both the San Juan elk ridge and the Henry mountains for some muleys . My wife want to get her a big buck and of course so do I but I’ve never hunted either of those places . I took her out to the Abajo (Blue) for her first muley and she loved the mountain and the whole experience. Any info will be helpful.

Fitzwho

WKR
Hopefully a lot of points or a truck full of luck.
May want to look at the management hunts. A big giant with 3 points on one side.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Elk Ridge will be easier to draw; Henry’s are the most coveted mule deer tag in the country. Either way without points you will be way ahead taking her to a nice place in Sonora. Your odds are basically impossible to draw those tags but the Henry’s 100x more impossible.

Look into landowner tags but nowhere big Muleys are is going to be cheap.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I know my wife does have any . And all the years I’ve gone to utah I’ve only not drawn once . So idk how many that would give probably 1 right.
Well statically you aren't to going to be drawing either unit so doesn't it doesn't really matter where you apply.
Of the two units the Henry mountains would be my first choice.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Deer hunter
Elk Ridge will be easier to draw; Henry’s are the most coveted mule deer tag in the country. Either way without points you will be way ahead taking her to a nice place in Sonora. Your odds are basically impossible to draw those tags but the Henry’s 100x more impossible.

Look into landowner tags but nowhere big Muleys are is going to be cheap.
I was honestly thinking of elk ridge I met a guy at the butcher shop in Monticello last year and he was showing me pictures of some good buck on elk ridge and they where all right off the road and he said they thy get better as you get off the road . And I’m not a road hunter I like to put some work in and enjoy the hunt.

OP
Deer hunter
Well statically you aren't to going to be drawing either unit so doesn't it doesn't really matter where you apply.
Of the two units the Henry mountains would be my first choice.

Thank you for your honesty . I kinda figured I would have to have a lot of point . The chance with no points is slim to none .

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What management unit would you recommend.
Utah manages deer with general season units and limited entry units. Limited entry units are further broken down into units managed for quality or opportunity type hunts. Depends on your goals which unit would best fit your needs.
Without maximum points your going to need to get very lucky in the hybrid draw a limited entry unit tag.

OP
Deer hunter
Utah manages deer with general season units and limited entry units. Limited entry units are further broken down into units managed for quality or opportunity type hunts. Depends on your goals which unit would best fit your needs.
Without maximum points your going to need to get very lucky in the hybrid draw a limited entry unit tag.

Ok I’ll check out there website and see what I can come up with on a good management hunt where it’s not too far for me to be traveling around Utah

Fitzwho

WKR
I was talking about the Henry Mt management hunts. There’s a few. The cull hunt (3 points on one side) and the stag hunt (cactus bucks only).

OP
Deer hunter
I was talking about the Henry Mt management hunts. There’s a few. The cull hunt (3 points on one side) and the stag hunt (cactus bucks only).
Ok so is it a 3 point on one side and bigger or does it have to only be a 3 point. How does that work.

OP
Deer hunter
Ya we have some good deer here don’t get me wrong but ever sense I was younger going to Monticello with my dad I grew a big connection with that mountain and every time I go I feel like I’m home I belong there and I’ve seen good buck there I have a nice one I got out there I just want to try and expand a little in Utah it’s a great place .

CorbLand

WKR
If your thinking about the Henry’s. Just start applying and then come back in 40 years and start asking questions. You may have a shot at drawing the tag then.

There is no Management hunt on the Henry’s this year.
There are a lot of LE hunts to choose from though. Good luck.