Utah Spike Cow

My wife and I are looking at doing the spike cow archery hunt in Utah next year. This is our first rodeo with elk. Looking at this hunt because she has back issues and figure if uneven ground gets to her we can sit water if she hurts too bad to hike, and if need be I can pack a smaller animal by myself. We plan on truck camping. Any input would be appreciated.

Questions
1. What are temps like above 7k in late August/early September?
2. Will excessive heat make meat care difficult?
3. Is it difficult as a non res to draw a cow tag for rifle or muzzleloader?
4. Would you say odds are better during rifle or muzzleloader with a cow tag?

1- temps can be anywhere highs 40-80 but most likely 60-70. Lows 25-40

2. no, bag it and shade it. Bring a cooler with ice no problem.

3. Not in some units but you already missed the antlerless draw to gain a point. A point or two will usually guarantee a tag.

4. with elk the muzzy can be hit or miss depending on your fitness and shooting skill. Rifle is more predictable.

Where are you coming from? Age and health? Budget? If health and mobility are an issue there are affordable cow hunts on private that are way high success.

Steadman

WKR
What was said above, but if archery plan on warmer temps especially at 7000 feet. I've hauled elk out in the high 80's. Meat care at those temps can be tricky but it can be done. I can't help ya on the muzzleloader and rifle hunts. Good luck

Steadman

WKR
Also as said above, why wait. However the spike/cow hunt end the Fri before Labor day this year. Just an FYI

OP
C
I like how you guys think; but I have a bear hunt mid September this year here in Michigan and a rifle deer hunt in November in Wyoming as well as hunting deer and birds here. Unfortunately I only have so much vacation and money and it’s all spoken for this season. Lol She’s only hunted a bit so we’re doing a camp n hunt archery hunt here to work out the bugs. Right now I’m mainly researching areas and working through gear that we want and need for this.

OP
C
1- temps can be anywhere highs 40-80 but most likely 60-70. Lows 25-40

2. no, bag it and shade it. Bring a cooler with ice no problem.

3. Not in some units but you already missed the antlerless draw to gain a point. A point or two will usually guarantee a tag.

4. with elk the muzzy can be hit or miss depending on your fitness and shooting skill. Rifle is more predictable.

Where are you coming from? Age and health? Budget? If health and mobility are an issue there are affordable cow hunts on private that are way high success.
Well be 34 when we go. Like to stay around $1500 total, we’re driving from Upper Michigan both in good health and fitness. Slightly above shooting skills by Midwest standards. Max I’d shoot 55 bow, 150 muzzy and 300 rifle.
Weather eases most of our concerns about meat care. That’s exactly what I was hoping to see.

I’d be the shooter she wants to go to challenge herself and for the experience.

OP
C
1. Given this would be a spike/cow hunt would you learn to bugle or focus on cow calling?
2. Given the dry climate and likely warm weather could you get away with cotton clothing or would you buy the good merino stuff?

KineKilla

WKR
I wouldn't worry too much about calling although cow calls can be semi effective with spikes.

I prefer almost anything over cotton. Be sure and pack good rain gear. You just never know what the weather wiĺl do around here.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

OP
C
I wouldn't worry too much about calling although cow calls can be semi effective with spikes.

I prefer almost anything over cotton. Be sure and pack good rain gear. You just never know what the weather wiĺl do around here.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Will cows respond to cow calls?