Utah Spring vs Summer

jm1607

WKR
Well, I'm getting enough points now that it's a real possibility that I draw soon..

I've been looking at the differences between the 2 hunts. Looks like Spring allows dogs and Summer doesn't. I'm planning on spot & stalking so I'd rather not have dogs running through. But then again by the time Summer rolls around everywhere will have already had dog traffic.. Probably not too big a deal, there isn't that many bear tags..

I know that Spring time will probably have more pleasant weather.

From what I understand bears get more active as the Spring season progresses, but I can't find much info about Summer. Do they stay as active in the Summer? I know their food will change.. Will they be as easy to spot since they'll be changing from grasses to berries/acorns? Like, will they move more from the open to cover?

Anyway, I guess what it comes down to is do you think I (as a newbie bear hunter) will see more bears and be more successful spot & stalking in the Spring or Summer?

Last edited:

skierhs

WKR
So I’m up in Montana but i’ll Share my opinion on the dates as it hopefully applies to you.

The early season starts really early in my mind. In Montana and Idaho our season opens up in April but I don’t start thinking about hunting till begining to middle of May. I really enjoy spot at stalk hunting at the begining of june. The rut is or is about to start and I find the bears start moving all day looking for Sows. I wouldn’t mind the hounds to much. You said it’s only a few tags and if the season for hounds was the later one that would change my opinion. Since the bears will already have been ran by hounds or currently are then I don’t care as much especially since I think the prime time is the overlapped part of the seasons.

So I’m conclusion:
1) if snow will let you hunt earlier in April that’s a big plus for when boats come out earlier the sows.
2) the later season has the rut and at least part of the season with less tags(from how it sounds).
3) I mainly hunt middle of May to begining of June so your “prime time” spot and stalk season is better with the later season.
4) this all really depends on when snow melt is for you and snow levels. You know your area the best and I personally would go the later season but I only know Montana and Idaho well.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Thanks for the info!

I looked into the rut and it appears to start in the end of May, peak in June, and continue into the beginning of July. So maybe hunting the 1st week and a half of June with a "Summer" tag would be optimal since I wouldn't have any chance of dogs coming through and the odds of winning the tag are considerably higher..

skierhs

WKR
Thanks for the info!

I looked into the rut and it appears to start in the end of May, peak in June, and continue into the beginning of July. So maybe hunting the 1st week and a half of June with a "Summer" tag would be optimal since I wouldn't have any chance of dogs coming through and the odds of winning the tag are considerably higher..
That sounds like a reasonable choice. I rut is a lot of fun and there is a lot of movement where I’ve seen at least. Not dealing with any dogs is always a very nice touch.

Something to consider is the hide will be better the earlier. A lot of it is just going to have to do with the local climate. It’s really all about timing. I like it a little earlier. Definitely see more bears later, but gotta pick through more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be targeting May more than June. Easier to target greenup and less hide issues. I've never had problems with hounds as a spot and stalk hunter where I hunt off the beaten track a bit. The unit is real popular with the hound guys also.

Bummer you have to apply for a tag there. Bears are OTC in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.

OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
So you think maybe mid-to-late May with greenup, less hide problems, and beginning of the rut? That might be ideal... Draw is a little tougher but w/e, I'd rather wait a bit and have a better hunt

What's the difference in draw odds? Are you wanting to hold out for a trophy bear?

Like I said, you could always OTC hunt in Montana or Idaho. That's an option while you wait and very well might be better bear hunting.

OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
I really just want any mature bear, not necessarily a trophy. I've only been bear hunting once and although I saw lots of fresh sign I never saw a bear, so this time my goal is to not come home empty handed. I live in Texas and although I hunt locally I get to go on about 2 real hunts a year, so I really want to make sure everything is in my favor. I think with the points I have the draw odds are probably 15% for Summer and 5% for Spring?? Spring may take a couple extra years to draw since I'm not too far from max for either, so no big deal. I have plenty of hunting opportunities between all the points I have in other states and OTC opportunities so a couple years doesn't matter much to me... I already have most of my hunts planned out this year so I'll probably just buy a point and plan on putting in the draw next year.

What's nice about Utah for me is that the drive is considerably shorter than Montana, Idaho, or Washington and my best friend lives about and hour from Moab.

OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Well.. Like I said, I don't mind waiting an extra couple years for a better hunt. I have plenty to keep me occupied atm.

And I basically have max points for CO fall bear (except for GMU 851) so I could burn those any year in the meantime...

Totally depends on the unit. Some units would be really rough for spot and stalk, especially in the summer when the bears are spending less time in the open. The best hunts are summer bait. In the spring, bears don't start moving much until the last couple of weeks of the hunt sometimes, and depending on the snow some usual bait/bear spots aren't accessible. By summer they aren't spending loads of time in the open but bait really well.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

takeahike

FNG
I’m from northern Nevada and drew a San Juan summer bear tag last year, also had friends with sprung tags and dogs. Was able to go down for a couple days during the spring hunt to learn the area a tiny bit but that was about the extent of my knowledge. Being about 650 miles away from where I decided to hunt I didn’t run a bait just spot and stock.

Keep in mind this was my first bear hunt ever, but my take on the hunt was overlapping spring and summer hunts was not good! Summer guys have to deal with hounds everywhere, not just one or 2 here and there they were everywhere! But then again spring guys can’t legally chase bears that have been on bait.
I was successful and would do the hunt again, but would miss out on the first 9-10 days of the hunt. The bears were very wound up and hard to find. After the first week or so I was seeing 3-5 a day.
If you have any questions feel free to ask I’ll help where I can!

I am here in the unit trying to get pointed to some good general areas. Please message me if you have any info to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk