Utah Trail Camera Meeting

CorbLand

WKR
Most probably already know this but for those that dont. Utah will be holding a meeting regarding the decision made earlier to place a season on the use of trail cameras. Public comment will only be taken at the meeting. The meeting is March 10, 2022 at 9AM in Farmington, Utah. Eccles Wildlife Education Center 1157 South Waterfowl Way, Farmington, Utah.

More information can be found here.

Regardless of your stance on this, if you can attend, attend and let your voices be heard. Comment cards must be in by 9:30AM.

I am going to try and make it. If there is anyone from Cache Valley area that is or wants to go let me know and we could try and car pool together.

Rich M

WKR
Some crazy chit. Folks think trail cams steal their deer, elk, bear, etc.

Bunch of whiners.

Should ban all modes of transportation that you dont lace onto yer feet too. Lazy B’s.

Have parking areas at all ENTRANCES to public, blm, and natnl forest land. Walk your sorry ass in. Screw the horse, truck, UTV, or helicopter that got you there. Walk or go home. Just like Daniel Boone. Too old, fat, out of shape? Hunt near your car. Healthy and able, go shoot you some. (I fall into the unhealthy group)

Sorry, trail cams are fun. Banning them is like banning balloons at a birthday party.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR

Bunch of whiners.

Should ban all modes of transportation that you dont lace onto yer feet too. Lazy B’s.

Have parking areas at all ENTRANCES to public, blm, and natnl forest land. Walk your sorry ass in. Screw the horse, truck, UTV, or helicopter that got you there. Walk or go home. Just like Daniel Boone. Too old, fat, out of shape? Hunt near your car. Healthy and able, go shoot you some. (I fall into the unhealthy group)

Sorry, trail cams are fun. Banning them is like banning balloons at a birthday party.
Well if you are so inclined, they will be live streaming the whole thing. I will be the 30 year old, with a beard and mullet there. My opinion will be the direct opposite of yours, so I should stand out.

Traveler

WKR

Bunch of whiners.

So you are for trail cams? Or against transportation?

Nothing about Fair Chase involves using technology in real time to locate animals. Users weren't smart enough to leave well enough alone, it's going to affect traditional trail cams that take pictures to be retrieved later. However, lol, there is probably not a single one of those dinosaur cameras remaining. Reap what you sow.

Glad you able to attend Corb.
I feel that they plan to reverse with only taking public comments at the meeting.
If anyone believes that either outfitter on the board or with the biggest both at the expo cares about the average guy,
"I've got a stone sheep hunt in Arizona"
I am emailing all the board members asking them to stay with the current rule.

Wvroach

WKR
Hopefully they will differentiate between cellular and non cellular cameras.

I don't think using cellular trail cameras is really ethical at least not during the season. Something about getting a notification on your phone to hike in on game doesn't set right with me. It gives you the advantage of being multiple places at once.

I have no problem with non cellular cameras though. If you are hiking in to check your pictures and get a idea of what you are going to be hunting and checking out the animals in your area I see no problem with that.

As on private property, do what you want.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
Glad you able to attend Corb.
I feel that they plan to reverse with only taking public comments at the meeting.
If anyone believes that either outfitter on the board or with the biggest both at the expo cares about the average guy,
"I've got a stone sheep hunt in Arizona"
I am emailing all the board members asking them to stay with the current rule.
The two board members I have emailed with sound like they wish to stay with their original vote. They both have said they need the public to show up in support of the original ruling. 3 of the 4 original yes voters have responded back to my emails. Heaton won’t change his vote, nor will Selman. If I had to guess, the rule will stand with the same 4-3 vote.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Heaton is bought and paid for. Enough whiners down there to bring it back up. You'd think they shortened the season to 3 days the way these idiots are acting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hopefully they will differentiate between cellular and non cellular cameras.

I don't think using cellular trail cameras is really ethical at least not during the season. Something about getting a notification on your phone to hike in on game doesn't set right with me. It gives you the advantage of being multiple places at once.

I have no problem with non cellular cameras though. If you are hiking in to check your pictures and get a idea of what you are going to be hunting and checking out the animals in your area I see no problem with that.

As on private property, do what you want.
Problem is, the outfitters will send their flunkies in to check those cameras during prime hunting hours to make sure the DIY guys don't kill anything. They will do everything in their power to make sure their paying hunters are successful and you are not.

Well if you are so inclined, they will be live streaming the whole thing. I will be the 30 year old, with a beard and mullet there. My opinion will be the direct opposite of yours, so I should stand out.
Nice. This is so political and the outfitters will scream bloody murder… but it’s not an unfair advantage. AZ was a war, but they finally passed it. You guys have very similar issues as The Strip.
Between myself, wife and 2 boys, we put in for multiple states. 7 actually. I just never had an “in” or knowledge of UT. So while I don’t plan on ever hunting UT, I fully support EVERY state that is willing to take this on. Hopefully they listen. Good luck

Problem is, the outfitters will send their flunkies in to check those cameras during prime hunting hours to make sure the DIY guys don't kill anything. They will do everything in their power to make sure their paying hunters are successful and you are not.

This is the only reason I can see good from limited (none actually) use after July 31.

Any other reason isn't really a reason. Those same flunkies will sit a drainage if Lemon-back outfitters tell them to so they can pattern 'Ol "Squiggle Tine", "Donkey Nose", or whatever idiotic name you give them...

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
Going to pop this back up to the top one more time. Meeting is this coming Thursday.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
Ok, one more time to the top. Meeting is tomorrow. Weather and roads aren't looking great so far, so I dont know if I am going to make it. Not worth wrecking a car over.

Send your emails, nonresidents and residents alike. Pro or against a season, send them.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
The two board members I have emailed with sound like they wish to stay with their original vote. They both have said they need the public to show up in support of the original ruling. 3 of the 4 original yes voters have responded back to my emails. Heaton won’t change his vote, nor will Selman. If I had to guess, the rule will stand with the same 4-3 vote.
Well I stand corrected. Selman flipped and voted yes. Season stands in Utah 4-2 vote.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I watched the entire YouTube it was a interesting meeting. I was surprised to see the ruling upheld as I figured the process had been compromised when this meeting was first called. Glad to see some moxie in this wildlife board hopefully they can right the ship. Utah hunting opportunity is shrinking every year along with decreasing big game populations comes hard choices for everyone involved.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
I watched the entire YouTube it was a interesting meeting. I was surprised to see the ruling upheld as I figured the process had been compromised when this meeting was first called. Glad to see some moxie in this wildlife board hopefully they can right the ship. Utah hunting opportunity is shrinking every year along with decreasing big game populations comes hard choices for everyone involved.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I was semi surprised. I didn’t see Selman flipping and thought if anyone flipped it would be Hirst. I figured it would remain the same 3-3 and ultimately end with the same vote of 4-3.

Either way, Utahans are going to have to make a choice. Do you keep throwing everything we can at animals or do you want tags?

People need to show up and participate. A good 25% of the people there openly admitted to never sending the RACs an email regarding the original proposal. Many I talked to didn’t realize that trail cameras have been talked about for two years. It was the same thing with baiting.

Last edited: