Utahns won't get hunting, fishing licenses because of unpaid child support.

Just read this article on fox13 today that says, starting July 1st a person that owes more than $2500 in unpaid child support in the state of Utah won’t be able to purchase a hunting or fishing license. Pretty interesting heard this being talked about for a while but I guess it’s going to happen, what’s your guys thoughts ?

BBob

WKR
Been that way in AZ for decades now as far as applying for tags so really nothing new here. I honestly don’t know if it applies to purchasing a license. I’ve had a lifetime forever so I don’t buy a license every year.

Last edited:

cjdewese

WKR
As someone who paid child support for years without a missed payment, I say if you can't afford the cs, you can't afford a hunting license or tag.
As someone that is 8 years in myself I 100% agree with this take. Do I like paying child support and trying to raise another family? Not really, but my oldest son is one of the best things that has ever happened to me and it's the price I have to pay unfortunately.

Jauwater

WKR
Ehhh, ya know, we live in strange times. I know there are some dead beat parents out there, for sure. That don't hold up on their side of responsibilities in raising their children. But man, I can't even begin to count how many guys I know paying child support, and how fast $2500 could rack up on a few of them if they fell on hard times. And how quick their co parent would be to take advantage of their demise. And then to loose privileges over not being able to pay for child support that you have to pay for because of a separation that you possibly had no control over. I know their are alot of hypotheticals in there, but this type of situation happens all the time. Im not speaking from my own experience. I don't have any kids. Never wanted any. But I bet most people know a decent guy in similar fashion.

But I agree, if their decent, and they fell on hard times I would assume they wouldn't be spending what little money they had on hunting licenses, and tags, while their child support stacks up.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Pretty sure this is a thing in quite a few states. MT has done something similar for a long time.

Sadly, I know enough folks that have solid jobs who don't pay it or play games with it simply out of spite. Laws like this are fine with me. Those folks need a solid shot to the head of some responsibility.

Jeremy

Wvroach

WKR
Seems like another time the government is playing nanny. Individual responsibility to support your child should not be government mandated.

An interesting question that was on a debate I recently was watching if the woman has the choice with zero say from the Father to terminate the child in the womb shouldn't the father have the choice to terminate the relationship and have no obligation to pay for the child if she chooses to keep it?

I don't agree with it but the logic is the same.

jlh42581

WKR
Ehhh, ya know, we live in strange times. I know there are some dead beat parents out there, for sure. That don't hold up on their side of responsibilities in raising their children. But man, I can't even begin to count how many guys I know paying child support, and how fast $2500 could rack up on a few of them if they fell on hard times. And how quick their co parent would be to take advantage of their demise. And then to loose privileges over not being able to pay for child support that you have to pay for because of a separation that you possibly had no control over. I know their are alot of hypotheticals in there, but this type of situation happens all the time. Im not speaking from my own experience. I don't have any kids. Never wanted any. But I bet most people know a decent guy in similar fashion.

But I agree, if their decent, and they fell on hard times I would assume they wouldn't be spending what little money they had on hunting licenses, and tags, while their child support stacks up.

I dont pay child support but thats not how it works. Its directly related to your income. My buddy has sole custody of his two kids, their mother was working a waitress job and paying only $200 a month.

Jauwater

WKR
I dont pay child support but thats not how it works. Its directly related to your income. My buddy has sole custody of his two kids, their mother was working a waitress job and paying only $200 a month.
Not all situations are the same, no doubt. Alot of good guys get caught up with battles with exs over child support, and get the shit end of the stick. Im sure there are woman who are caught up in it too.

An old friend of mine had his wife leave him after 6 kids. He took care of them for years, agreed on paper to keep them in the house they were in because he thought it was the best for his kids. So he was paying their mortgage for years after the divorce, and $1200 a month for food, and other expense, and all the kids were in private school which he paid for. He missed over 6 months of work because of colon cancer, and he filed for bankruptcy towards the end of that 6 months. Went through months of court to get the child support agreements lowered. And she fought him the whole way. Took forever to get everything straightened out.

Im just saying its something decent people are gonna get caught up in as well as the dead beats. I understand children need to be took care of, and with out having something holding these types of people responsible, then they will just never come around to it. And maybe there is no fair way to manage separating the two. There are more people today then ever that use kids as a means for profit, and other benefits. And this is well known. So to remove peoples privileges over a system thats already being worked by large percentages of the individuals involved just seems like more flaws. What's the right answer, and what needs to be done about it? Hell, beats me.

jlh42581

WKR
There are more people today then ever that use kids as a means for profit, and other benefits. And this is well known.

I know this all too well, my ex lied to me about a kid that I paid for.... five years, every cent. Her best friend let the cat out of the bag, after I had the child paternity tested, her mother took me to court for support anyhow because I signed the birth certificate.

Lots of people on this planet arent worth shit.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I love it! Pay your damn kids way! I have a buddy who is constantly behind on CS. Makes me want to punch him in his teeth every time I see him waste money on booze, cigarettes and all kinds of other shit, when he can not afford CS for his 3 kids.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I got one for you all. My wife's ex is a medical doctor, many years. Acts like he's concerned for his kids. Rarely makes an attempt to see them, comes up with excuses as to why he doesn't see his kids and is very inconsistent with his support payments. When he does send support payments it isn't much, considering his profession.

Rob5589

WKR
My atty told me the reason states are so hard on dead beats is to keep people off the welfare system. For years I paid 1/3 of my take home pay in cs. My ex remarried and between them two, they were making more than my wife and I. And cs is non taxable income, so she was receiving nearly 12k a year tax free. You just need to get to the realization that it's for your kids and block out all the ex's vacations and nice vehicles lol

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
I am completely, 100% ok with this. For those of you who don't think it takes the gov't doing something like this to make somebody take responsibility & do what's right... congrats on living a sheltered life. If the past year hasn't exposed the "leave it up to the individual to do what's right' myth, you're just the tyoe who enjoys living in denial. Which is ok, it takes all types to make the world go round.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
In complete agreement with this. If your ass has time to hunt and fish, then you have time to go get a second job to pay off your back child support to help mom raise your babies.

Wvroach

WKR
If your not prepared to have a child and raise it stay out of a intimate relationship. If you have a child it should not take a government imposed mandate to make you take care of your child. In addition to that to further the burden on to the taxpayer by imprisoning those who are already delinquent on child support is among the most asinine things I've ever seen.

If you think the government does a good job and we need more bureaucratic influence in our lives you are certainly not only sheltered, but blind.

I grew up in poverty, extreme poverty for 1990s-2000s US standards, no running water or electric for a good portion of my childhood, I worked my butt off to never have to be in that position again nor will any of my children/grandchildren in the future if they live right. This was through no fault of my parents but a corrupt justice system that would imprison my father for defending his family, causing all income to the home to cease and drain the savings they had to hire a lawyer to fight a corrupt prosecutor, which they were acquitted but still owed the lawyer 20+ thousand dollars in addition to having income cease for 12 months.

The government is awful at everything they do and shouldn't have to go sticking there nose in familial matters.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
My atty told me the reason states are so hard on dead beats is to keep people off the welfare system. For years I paid 1/3 of my take home pay in cs. My ex remarried and between them two, they were making more than my wife and I. And cs is non taxable income, so she was receiving nearly 12k a year tax free. You just need to get to the realization that it's for your kids and block out all the ex's vacations and nice vehicles lol
Yup, because I know I spend a hell of a lot more than 12k on my kids each year. Shit, child care alone is 800$ a month for 8 days. Always baffles me when guys bitch about a grand a month in child support.