Utility Trailers

Voyageur

WKR
Currently have an older 5'X10' steel frame utility trailer with a wood plank floor and wood side boards. I use it to haul my ATV and whatever gear won't fit inside the box of my truck...usually tree stands, bait, coolers, etc. The trailer is in decent shape, but beginning to show its age. I'm planning to replace the floor this winter. When attempting to mount a new set of tires this week I discovered the bolt pattern is obsolete and no place I checked with is able to get rims that will fit it. As I debated putting a new axle on or replacing the hubs I also started to consider just selling it and getting a similar sized aluminum utility trailer.
I don't know much about what's available in utility trailers and am curious what forum members have to offer for advice not only on makes of trailers, but maybe opinions on new trailer vs. repairing the old, and steel vs aluminum.
Thanks.

Ranger619

WKR
I bought an Aluma 8112 a couple years ago. I really like it. I went with this size so I could get the side loading option. I can fit 3 ATV's sitting cross way on it. I have the front and sides too. The ramps mount on it and make a fence. They are a little pricey but built well. I have a friend that has the 7712 model and likes it too.

Look at https://www.etrailer.com/ for parts. You might find the rim you need or they might have a whole hub replacement with different bolt pattern. Message them. Axle, boards and tractor paint is still cheaper than a new trailer.

I’ve been happy with the Doolittle 6610. 10ft by 66”, gate fold flat to the trailer if hauling empty. Smallest you can’t get for a ranger. I will run this trailer until it’s trashed. Than fix it and go again.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can probably find adapters if you can't find hubs. No way I'd buy a whole new trailer becaus of outdated lug patterns.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Amazing that the bolt patterns have changed. I run some old trailers and have no issues replacing 5 lug tires.

Sell it and upgrade if that's your thing. Aluminum does corrode, especially around the bolts. We had to replace all the bolts on a guys boat trailer for him due to dissimilar metal issues.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Really appreciate the input. I was hoping to be talked off the "buy new" ledge!
Another thing I've considered is having the local welding shop modify my trailer so the ATV is transported 24"-30" off the trailer floor. This would give me the entire floor of the trailer for storage space underneath the ATV rather than only having space around the sides of it. Does that make sense? Has anybody done such a thing?

I've used a Triton aluminum tilt deck snowmobile trailer that is 6'-6" wide x 8'8" long with torsion axles as a utility trailer and for hauling one or two quads or just my RZR. Been excellent. Greasable bearings are still original. It is easy to load either by tilting and driving on a quad, or side loading with the supplied ramp for two quads or rear loading the RZR.

Its a 2002 vintageI bought used in 2009. I finally put new deck plywood on it last summer. It has sat out a bunch. Obviously a couple sets of tires were required...wear and age. All the hardware has held up great...the aluminum looks good, the lights all still work fine, jack is like new, etc. Good trailer that is easy to move around by hand and tows like nothing is back there, even with one quad on it. Hardly impacts fuel economy at all. and has about 1800#s of load capacity. If I was buying one today, I'd get the 12' long version of the same trailer for more versatility.

Oh, and a good storage tip with tilt bed trailers and a boat on a trailer: Raise the front of the boat and trailer up a few feet using the winch strap attached to the ceiling truss. Then back the tilt deck under the boat trailer with the bed tilted. In my case the tilt deck hitch only extends a couple feet past the boat trailer hitch really minimizing storage space requirements.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Really appreciate the input. I was hoping to be talked off the "buy new" ledge!
Another thing I've considered is having the local welding shop modify my trailer so the ATV is transported 24"-30" off the trailer floor. This would give me the entire floor of the trailer for storage space underneath the ATV rather than only having space around the sides of it. Does that make sense? Has anybody done such a thing?
Just be careful that you don't get too much weight up high if you build up the floor like that. That'll wreck the center of gravity.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Interesting followup on my trailer this morning. I took it to a business that specializes in trailer sales and service. They said it would an easy job to change out the hubs. Almost as an after thought the mechanic measured the lug pattern with a special gauge and it came out to a standard 5 on 5. So, rather than a couple hundred dollars to change out the hubs it's around $70 for two new rims. Not sure what the problem was with the shop I originally took it to. Never even occurred to me to double check their measurements...especially since they used a caliper to measure the lug pattern. Lesson learned.

Squamch

WKR
Glad to hear that worked out for ya.
Another thing to consider with an aluminum trailer, is that any small town garage or service station is going to have a tombstone welder and a couple sticks of 7011 around to scab a steel trailer back together if it is damaged. For aluminum, you're gonna need to find a more specialized shop.

Baddog

WKR
I bought an aluminum trailer. Worst purchase of my life. It’s vibrated and cracked apart at every weld. Don’t think it’s made for 100’s of miles of Nevada gravel roads...

I bought an aluminum trailer. Worst purchase of my life. It’s vibrated and cracked apart at every weld. Don’t think it’s made for 100’s of miles of Nevada gravel roads...

I was in the same boat with a Mission aluminum trailer for our UTV too. Was a pile of junk from the get go and Alcom refused to stand by their product when we started having issues. Sold it and went to a steel 18ft car hauler and never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had zero problems with the frame on my Triton tiltdeck snowmobile trailer (8’-8” L x 6’-6” W). It is 18 yrs old and on its 4th set of tires due to wear. I use it as a utility trailer and to haul quads or my RZR. I did put a new plywood deck on it a year ago due to the original plywood weathering and getting weak. Lights still work perfectly. It is a higher quality trailer than some aluminum ones I have seen. Torsion axles might reduce weld damaging vibration too.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
I was in the same boat with a Mission aluminum trailer for our UTV too. Was a pile of junk from the get go and Alcom refused to stand by their product when we started having issues. Sold it and went to a steel 18ft car hauler and never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate the perspectives