UTV accessories?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Good chance I’ll be 10-20 miles from the truck for extended periods. I’m putting together a repair/shtf kit…

Tire repair kit
Cig lighter compresor
Tire chains for the back
Spare belt (truck)
Spare air filter (truck)
Come along (replacing with winch)
Tow strap/tree saver
Snatch block
Shackle

What am I missing?

WTFJohn

WKR
Keep the belt/belt tool with the UTV, also a basic tool kit with 10, 13, 15, and 17mm ratchets and box wrenches in case something comes loose. A 4-way (or appropriate socket) for the lug nuts. Extra lug nuts (I usually try to have a few extra misc suspension nuts and bolts with me as well). Vice grips (handy for pinching off torn brake lines), pliers, basic screwdrivers (maybe a torx bit or two if your machine has a lot). Scissor or bottle jack, with a good 2x8 or similar to use as a base plate. An extra headlamp (or two), nothing sucks as much as working in the dark having someone else hold a phone light because your primary headlamp is dead.

Figure out your recovery points front and rear before you go. Usually the rear is straightforward, but the front can take a bit of thinking sometimes before the 'right' way presents itself.

tdhanses

WKR
I added a 2nd battery to mine and installed an isolator on them to prevent a dead battery. I also carry a spare tire as well as a plug kit. Do you have a small bottle jack?
I have the same in mine, i’d skip the bottle jack and add a hi-lift jack, it can help not only for tire issues but getting one unstuck.

I also always have extra gas in rotopax cans.

cnelk

WKR
I think it depends on what kind of trail(s) you’ll be on for 10-20 miles. If they are somewhat maintained or well travelled, I wouldn’t bring the kitchen sink of ‘what if’s’.

Basic tools and items needed to get back to the truck would be it. And probably a good pair of boots in case you need to hike. 😂

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I think it depends on what kind of trail(s) you’ll be on for 10-20 miles. If they are somewhat maintained or well travelled, I wouldn’t bring the kitchen sink of ‘what if’s’.

Basic tools and items needed to get back to the truck would be it. And probably a good pair of boots in case you need to hike. 😂
Haha not funny (the last part).

crich

WKR
Land anchor. A foldable boat anchor works too. Sometimes a tree isnt always close by to winch from depending on where you hunt.

RickH

Lil-Rokslider
I carry Fix-a-Flat. With a portable compressor the slime would be good.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Good advice above. Really depends on where you are and what type of riding you do, how many other cars and their riders and capabilities. Depending on if you have a base camp or are close to others a vhf or gmrs radio can be very useful. Solo is listed below, but with a group everyone doesn't need a jack for example.

We don't carry a spare tire, you'd be surprised to see what you can do with a decent tire repair kit. We carry most of the primary hand tools - screwdrivers, pliers, hammer, torx, sockets and wrench that fit your buggy, jump pack, flashlights, a ryobi tire inflator and battery, various electric doo dads and tools - fuses, relays, length of wire, tape, multimeter - electric and gorilla duct tape, many zip ties or various length and strength, spare belt and tools for changing it.

If we go for longer trips 20+ miles (or less in the desert) we carry more stuff like extra water, food, gas, etc.

In addition - whatever amount of recovery gear you are comfortable with - winch, rings, blocks, straps etc.

Last edited: