UTV/OHV registration and permitting

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if anyone can assist here...

We just bought a new side by side. We live in upstate New York, near the Pennsylvania border. Under current laws here in the great state of NY, UTVs cannot be registered (see attached photo). Makes no sense to me. Pennsylvania has some great trail systems that we’d like to spend a day family riding sometime. But they must be registered/insured to ride in PA. I have heard that some people register them in Pennsylvania. Problem with that in my situation is we bought the side by side tax exempt for majority farm use, and cannot register a vehicle you didn’t pay tax on in PA. Pennsylvania does reciprocate other state’s registrations. So....

Is it possible for me to register the utv in another state as a non resident? I looked at several western state regulations and many mention obtaining permits to ride. I assume that’s different that registration (with the little rear license plate)? I emailed Colorado cpw and got a reply that I am able to register there (we also take trips there and would likely tow the utv out at some point to ride). But not sure if they just meant the yearly permit or what.

It doesn’t make sense to me that New York hasn’t updated their laws to include utvs, making them literally unable to be registered. Our new utv will never leave our property 99% of the time, but for those times I’d like to take the fam sometime I want to be legal. (We also have an atv, that is registered, because I take it out ice fishing occasionally, and wanted to be legal to operate on public “land” (water).... what if I want to take the side by side out on the lake to ice fish?? Silly state

e406c7ee4968a18838a697dabdc66eb6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
The western states just require permits issued by the Forest Service or state, it isn't a registration.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Squamch

WKR
This guy has chronicled his story on irate4x4.com. The following is a copied pasta of his first post on the subject.

I use my X3 as a daily driver legally in NY. I have helped a few other people become street legal.

If this doesn't work for you or you get in trouble... oh well. I am no lawyer, certainly not yours. Educate yourself, verify everything I type. if you spend time and $ on this and it does not go how you wanted it's not my fault. Basically, don't take my advice and then think your actions are my fault. Your actions are your fault, don't take advice from some guy on the net.

Here is the process...
-Start Montana LLC through a registered agent.
-Sell your SXS to your LLC with a bill of sale
-Get a Montana title with the owner as your LLC
-Apply for a permanent street legal registration for a Quadracycle

A company will do all this for $850 for you. It takes 2-3 weeks.

You need the following
-DOT tires
-Blinkers/Flasher/Horn ($200 ish)
-Side view and rear view mirrors.

Then on top of that follow the regulations of the state you are in... for example, in PA all light bars need a cover so you cant use them on a road. In NY I don't need a windshield because they are manufactured with out one. ETC...