UV Killer Spray?

What's the consensus on UV Killer spay to your camo?

An interesting thing happened this past weekend, that makes me ask the question.

I'm on my first bow hunt of the year in what has always been, my killer tree stand. This time, I get noticed by two groups of does, one coming from the South, the others coming from the East. Both groups stop at 40 yards and key in on me in the tree, just staring directly at me. Aware, alarmed but still curious, the yearlings eventually walk by, the does never take their eyes off me. This never happened before in this spot, and this is the first time there in a year. It's like I was a neon sign. After dusk, I walk out past a trail cam, the picture shows, my camo glowing bright white, backpack is dark, almost invisible.

This year, I washed all my camo, in what is supposed to be camo wash. Starting to think, somehow washing was a problem?
If deer see, what low light trail cameras see, there is a problem.

There is a product called UV Killer spray by Atsko. A check for reviews, brings me to YouTube, where a guy sprays it on, a similar glowing camo, under a UV light and it appears to work. But the test is flawed, it's still wet. He doesn't show results after it dries. Or what happens by just spraying water, as a comparison.

Any experience good or bad with this stuff???

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some thinking the same as you. The spray comes out white and you almost need to rub it into your clothing and rub off excess liquid. Don't have a black light so no clue if it worked but worth a shot. Had 4 does looking at me last week but they busted me moving (damn masquitoes) so not sure if it's worth it or not quite yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
We used the stuff way back when Atsko introduced it. Back then most commercial camo glowed in UV because no one was using low UV fabrics yet (real mil surp was an exception). Most companies started switching when low UV fabrics started coming into the market. Commercial regular everyday soaps may use brighteners that can make you glow. I quit using the UV killer when the fabrics changed and have always used a non-scented non-brightener soap. I use Atsko sport wash for everything in the house and have used it for 20? 30? years?

We all swore the stuff (UV Killer) worked on animals but I have no proof. It did work after it dried as far as hitting it with UV but I can't say it worked on the animals for sure. We had to rub it in on occasion and if it started to dry when doing so it would clump a little. It's like a really thin rubber film. I would think trying to get it to work on modern DWR coatings might be tough.

OP
J
Well, the stuff is ordered and on it’s way. Can’t hurt to try it.

The real test seems to be- walk in front of the same camera, with the same coat, after treatment.

Looking forward to this.
Will report results.

I'm curious to hear your results. I read about the stuff a few years ago, but have never tried it. I'm up for giving it a go if you can prove it worked for you!!

OP
J
Well results are in...
I was reluctant to report back due to - it appears to not work very well. If at all.
Was the distance from the camera the same exact, the angle, moonlight, etc.

After repeatedly viewing the lowlight trailcam photos, I'm going to chalk this one up to a "learning experience". I still have most of this product left, and will not use it.

From what I can tell, the downside of using this product is,
1. An odor, seems to go away after a week or two (Ozone generator in storage, may have helped).
2. It made my whisper quiet camo clothes - Loud
3. No noticeable difference in visibility of camo turning white on trailcam photos

After replaying the scenario on how I got busted, that was the first time I wore glasses bowhunting. Maybe they caught a glare, the auto darkening lenses prolly made me look like an alien.
This week a 30 yard heart shot on a 9 pointer, without glasses! Maybe they aren't needed so much.

j33

WKR
Why not wash your hunting stuff with non UV detergents? I keep that stuff in the house just for hunting.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
The spray works...sort of. I did a test on some coyote whites that really glowed under UV light. You would need a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff for any effectivity.
I would say use the wash if there is a piece you wish to keep that UV illuminates. I have a little ebay UV flashlight I can bring in the store. I don't buy anything that UV illuminates. Whites can light up like Christmas especially synthetic.

Many of the "free & clear" detergents also contain the brighteners. It's best to check the label and avoid washing your hunting clothes as much as possible.