Vac Day Conundrum....what to do

bozeman

WKR
So, this year is our 20th anniversary, so burning 1.5 weeks to Bora Bora.......put in a week for family vac with the kiddos......then .5 weeks for our annual turkey hunt to KS/NE/SD........do I take a week and hunt (already have an area I have been to, so know general area for elk {was within 100 yards on a bugling bull 2021, just couldnt close the deal) or wait til 2023 and take a full 8 days vac where I can span multiple weekends? Its a 25+hr drive for me, so have to take that into account on days for the trip. what to do??

Wrench

WKR
Where are you going that is 25hrs away? Is there any other areas you can hunt? Plan A is always good, but I like to have several backups incase of fire, flood or other things that I can't control.

svivian

WKR
You only get to go elk hunting once a year and life is short. Every time you can get into the elk woods will make you that much better for the next hunt.

Rob5589

WKR
25 hrs is a haul for sure. Last year I drove 14 each way to hunt 3 days. You only have so many good hunt days in your life so don't pass them up.

fatlander

WKR
Turkeys are cool. Elk are cooler.

Priorities.

However, in the spirit of me wanting to draw a tag this year, go ahead and wait until 2023

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
From Alabama, 25hours driving by myself, gets me to points A, B, C (alternates are def confirmed).

Turkeys (my annual trip with my dad) are VERY cool, IMO. :)

Fullfan

WKR
25 hour drive on each end will be like 3 days, leaving you with just 4-5 days to hunt. I would save my vacation. More time you have on the ground the better your chances.

I drive 40 hours one way, but I hunt for 20-30 days, depending how it all goes.

Laramie

WKR
The real question is can you hunt both 2022 and 2023 or is this a tag you can't get yearly? If you can, do the short hunt this year and the longer hunt next year. Maybe fly to add an extra hunting day?

So, this year is our 20th anniversary, so burning 1.5 weeks to Bora Bora.......put in a week for family vac with the kiddos......then .5 weeks for our annual turkey hunt to KS/NE/SD........do I take a week and hunt (already have an area I have been to, so know general area for elk {was within 100 yards on a bugling bull 2021, just couldnt close the deal) or wait til 2023 and take a full 8 days vac where I can span multiple weekends? Its a 25+hr drive for me, so have to take that into account on days for the trip. what to do??

Simple...cancel your Bora Bora trip, then you'll have a LOT more time to hunt being single!

I don't understand jobs that don't let you take time off- Sure I understand that you only have so much Paid vacation time, but you should be able to take more Unpaid time off!

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
I don't understand jobs that don't let you take time off- Sure I understand that you only have so much Paid vacation time, but you should be able to take more Unpaid time off!
I 'could', but I don't want to. I manage a very large dept, one of the largest in our division. You lead by example.

Simple...cancel your Bora Bora trip, then you'll have a LOT more time to hunt being single!
Um.....Then I could hunt all I wanted moving forward as the 'Mrs' would quickly kick me out. :) In all honesty, this trip has been on my bucket list for a few years....20th anniversary is just an excuse to go!!

I am leaning toward wait til 2023, but......just hate to miss a season. I may have to re-arrange and go around a certain holiday to maximize my time there......decisions, decisions.

I 'could', but I don't want to. I manage a very large dept, one of the largest in our division. You lead by example.

Um.....Then I could hunt all I wanted moving forward as the 'Mrs' would quickly kick me out. :) In all honesty, this trip has been on my bucket list for a few years....20th anniversary is just an excuse to go!!

I am leaning toward wait til 2023, but......just hate to miss a season. I may have to re-arrange and go around a certain holiday to maximize my time there......decisions, decisions.
Teach the next in line how to do your job and let them take the reigns while you go elk hunting. Lead by example that you understand there is more to life than your career.

I’d take more vacation. Life is short.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
I believe our company does that well- One month of vac, 10 holidays and paid 1.5 weeks at Christmas shutdown…….

Afhunter1

WKR
I have a good bit of vac time too. Usually always schedule some time for my wife to take a girls trip too. I go hunt a lot and don’t get much crap for it so I think it’s a fair trade. She hasnt went on one in years but always nice offer. We are coming up on 16. Took her to Hawaii for 10th and 15th.

I’d go hunt. I’ve never killed on the last day or first day but have on 3-6 pretty reg. 5 days to hunt is fine with prior knowledge.

BDRam16

WKR
I was in a somewhat similar predicament. I have the vacation time to use, but I have to request it in December of 21 for my days off in 22. Had to try and cover a couple different tag options but I should be ok. Good luck with whatever you decide. Enjoy that trip with the Mrs. Family always comes first.

sneaky

"DADDY"
From Alabama, 25hours driving by myself, gets me to points A, B, C (alternates are def confirmed).

Turkeys (my annual trip with my dad) are VERY cool, IMO. :)
You can kill turkeys around your house. Elk? No. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
You can kill turkeys around your house. Elk? No. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes, Eastern species, correct. Rio's no. My dad enjoys the turkey hunting too much to NOT go......he's 67, so gotta get those hunts in together while we can.