Will you take the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 159 49.4%
  • No

Votes: 163 50.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to take it. Not that I have a choice because I'm in the military and they give you every vaccine they can get their hands on, but I would be getting it anyway. My brother-in-law is extremely high risk and I have several members of my family that are in higer risk groups due to age, so even if the vaccine isn't truly 90% effective, I'll take any degree of effectiveness to reduce the chance that I give the disease to them.

Another thing to consider is that many countries are probably going to require proof of the COVID vaccine to travel for the next year or so, and I plan on taking a trip to Europe in late 2021.

gearguywb

WKR
You guys crack me up :)

Which scientist would you like to follow/believe? The ones that say "wear a mask, stay home, shut down, no contact....or the scientist that say "a mask doesn't work, we need herd immunity, everyone will end up getting it"?

The above is one of the main reasons this issue is so divisive.

It's interesting how all the medical professionals in this thread will take the vaccine whereas the people with no medical training, knowledge, or experience don't want to take it. The sheep and snowflakes are on both sides of the pro- and anti-vaccination debate.

I’m not getting it, I get the rest of my vaccines don’t have anything against vaccines. I fully understand this could kill me. Down the road when someone can tell me long term affects I’ll take it. Until then I’ll roll the dice on the low death rate in my demographic. If you want it, I’ll be happy for you when you get it, but don’t tell me I have to get it for you. If anyone in my family has an issue with me not getting the vaccine they’ll have to be content with virtual/phone visits until I know long term side effects. If it was a higher death rate I’d get it. My understanding at my age 33 in great shape 4/1000 infected die. If it was 100/1000 no problem, I’m really skeptical of something that usually takes 6 years being done in 9 months. My.02, like I said if you get it I wish you the best and I hope my skepticism is wrong.

z987k

WKR
Maybe a class or two....

I should have stated it more plainly. The entire premise of 90% effectiveness, etc. is so full of holes.

Since the test does not involve subjecting the applicants to Covid, the procedure is to take a "control group" (no vaccine), and a vaccinated group. Turn them loose and then see, after X period of time, home many are positive.

How do you control that loose of an experiment? You don't. Period. You have no control over who was exposed, who was not, natural antibodies, etc., etc.

While I sincerely hope a reliable vaccine is one day available, creating mass hysteria over a "90+% effective" vaccine, given these test procedures is ludicrous.
That's not typically done for ethical reasons.

A few people I know personally who work in healthcare have said they’d get a different job if their current one requires it. We’re all individual and have our own opinions.
It's interesting how all the medical professionals in this thread will take the vaccine whereas the people with no medical training, knowledge, or experience don't want to take it. The sheep and snowflakes are on both sides of the pro- and anti-vaccination debate.

You guys crack me up :)

Which scientist would you like to follow/believe? The ones that say "wear a mask, stay home, shut down, no contact....or the scientist that say "a mask doesn't work, we need herd immunity, everyone will end up getting it"?

The above is one of the main reasons this issue is so divisive.
This isn't to disagree with you but rather to add a caveat- As someone in the field of public health, I can tell you that not all "science" around this carries the same authority, and not all "scientists" are well respected within their fields. I have yet to see any studies from well-regarded sources that argue that masks are totally ineffective, or any study at all that advocates for just letting everyone catch it as opposed to reaching herd immunity through vaccination.

I have a very anti-mask preacher in my family, and he is constantly posting studies that he claims proves masks don't work and we need to just go out and get it so we have herd immunity. One of those studies proved masks worked, another didn't dispute that they worked but argued they were less effective than lockdowns and distancing, and the last agreed that they worked but that they were simply slowing spread rather than preventing it and what we needed was a vaccine.

It's important to dig into these studies people are throwing around and read what the scientists themselves say, not just what people who share them on the news are summarizing the results as.

A few people I know personally who work in healthcare have said they’d get a different job if their current one requires it. We’re all individual and have our own opinions.
They're the minority. What kind of healthcare worker are they? MD? RN? RT? Do these people really expect to completely change careers? Because if not, anywhere else they work will also require the covid vaccine.

z987k

WKR
I’m not getting it, I get the rest of my vaccines don’t have anything against vaccines. I fully understand this could kill me. Down the road when someone can tell me long term affects I’ll take it. Until then I’ll roll the dice on the low death rate in my demographic. If you want it, I’ll be happy for you when you get it, but don’t tell me I have to get it for you. If anyone in my family has an issue with me not getting the vaccine they’ll have to be content with virtual/phone visits until I know long term side effects. If it was a higher death rate I’d get it. My understanding at my age 33 in great shape 4/1000 infected die. If it was 100/1000 no problem, I’m really skeptical of something that usually takes 6 years being done in 9 months. My.02, like I said if you get it I wish you the best and I hope my skepticism is wrong.
You do realize there are long term health effects from contracting covid right? Especially in your demographic. Dying is not likely, but I sure don't want to live the rest of my life at reduced lung capacity or at extremely high risk of blood clot or stroke. End up on thinners and can't venture outside much at all. Close to emergency medical all the time.
There's a fairly good chance it'd take many years before you can hike a mountain let alone hunt from anything but a tree stand or wheeler again.

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
You do realize you can still get Covid even with the vaccine don't you?
Not if everyone gets the vaccine. Then there won't enough people to keep it spreading.

You could still get smallpox and polio with their vaccines. Yet here we are, smallpox does not exist and polio for all intents and purposes doesn't either.

These are all classic anti-vaxxer tropes. The whole medical community has heard all of them for years.

The problem is covid isn't lethal enough or debilitating enough for the entire population. If it were people would be stepping on each other to line up. Same with the diseases we have vaccines for but are not able to erradicate. Just not deadly enough. Still kills tons of people, but not enough 30 year olds or 5 year olds.

OP
M

mwebs

WKR
You do realize there are long term health effects from contracting covid right? Especially in your demographic. Dying is not likely, but I sure don't want to live the rest of my life at reduced lung capacity or at extremely high risk of blood clot or stroke. End up on thinners and can't venture outside much at all. Close to emergency medical all the time.
There's a fairly good chance it'd take many years before you can hike a mountain let alone hunt from anything but a tree stand or wheeler again.
There's not a vaccine in existence that has that kind of risk associated with it.

How did you arrive at this conclusion of years to recover from COVID? It’s been here 7 months... There are very few cases where there are months.. of lingering effects. I know many people that have had it now, nothing worse than a common cold for them. I know we can point to the extremes in everything and find something that props up our beliefs but let’s be realistic here...

Like I said my choice. I don’t see why my choice affects you.

Genetics, no idk if they actually will follow through with it. Guess we’ll see
QUOTE="grizz_bait, post: 1895510, member: 35292"]
They're the minority. What kind of healthcare worker are they? MD? RN? RT? Do these people really expect to completely change careers? Because if not, anywhere else they work will also require the covid vaccine.
[/QUOTE]

z987k

WKR
Like I said my choice. I don’t see why my choice affects you.
Ya, and that's fine. I just wanted to point out that you're making that choice based upon known long term problems vs unknown but unlikely based on past evidence. Try to help get cognitive dissonance going.

Not if everyone gets the vaccine. Then there won't enough people to keep it spreading.

You could still get smallpox and polio with their vaccines. Yet here we are, smallpox does not exist and polio for all intents and purposes doesn't either.

These are all classic anti-vaxxer tropes. The whole medical community has heard all of them for years.

The problem is covid isn't lethal enough or debilitating enough for the entire population. If it were people would be stepping on each other to line up. Same with the diseases we have vaccines for but are not able to erradicate. Just not deadly enough. Still kills tons of people, but not enough 30 year olds or 5 year olds.
I'm not anti vaxxer nice generalization though. I am curious how you know there are long term effects with COVID?

I will not be getting it.... because I just got back from a boat based hunt in Alaska where 4/5 guys got the 'rona.

I know this will fall on deaf ears for the people who need to hear it, but hey, why not try and sway some internet opinions. All of us are fit dudes in their 30' and 40's (smoke jumper, army ranger, veterans, etc.) Dude who should've gotten the sickest had the mildest case. One dude who lived with us all week didn't get it. The fittest guy on the boat cannot walk on the treadmill more than 10 minutes as of yesterday - he was a freaking machine before covid. I had about 5 days where I was debating on going to the hospital a few times each day - couldn't breathe. I am still short of breath and very lethargic. Now it is waiting game to see if/when my cardio and lung function come back. I think it is going to be a long road. Covid is real and it doesn't just mess up old people.

If I could go back in time and get a vaccine to prevent this, hell yeah I would do it. As to the 'everyone fend for themself' attitude that is so ubiquitous on this thread I would say I look at it differently... I served in the army for over a decade trying to make America a better place and if I can get a vaccine to help America get back to normal and help confer greater immunity to society then I am all for it.
Get better my friend!

NDGuy

WKR
I'm not anti vaxxer nice generalization though. I am curious how you know there are long term effects with COVID?
COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects - Mayo Clinic

Took 5 mins to find this. True, we don't know for sure if it will be weeks, months, years of damage but the initial data is concerning. With its similarities to SARS and MERS I have seen enough to be worried about it. SARS luckily was handled pretty quickly and didn't spread worldwide but some people that caught that still have lung issues and other ailments.

Status
Not open for further replies.