Vacuum Sealer recommendations?

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm finally at the point in my hunting career that I'm starting to kill stuff (yay!). Now that there is meat in the freezer it's time that I start getting better at cooking some of these critters.

I read an article on meateater.com about wet aging and it's something I really want to experiment with but I don't have a vacuum sealer. Planning to fix that problem today but was hoping for a few recommendations.

A brief search has an unbelievable range of price points and equipment sizes. Hoping you guys can help me narrow that down a bit. I really don't know anything about these things or how to select one. I don't need "the best", as I don't typically do my own butchering anyway (at least, not yet); but I'd like one that is not junk either. Size is a concern as it can't take up too much space.

Please tell me what model you like and why.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
I just got a Cabela's Pro Series 12" Vacuum Sealer a few weeks ago to package some elk. I cannot claim to be savvy in the use of vacuum sealers because it is only the second one I have used, but it did what I needed it to do! I think that lots of relatively inexpensive vacuum sealers will probably fit the bill for what you're trying to do, just a matter of how much you want to spend.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Thanks man. I was looking at that same one, as well as the 15" version.

jmez

WKR
Any of the Food Saver models will work. I use mine a lot. First one lasted 6 or seven years.

Anybody the cheaper ones will get hot after about 15 continuous seals, then you have to let them cool down for a while.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I have had bad luck with the cheap ones and good luck with the cablelas stainless body ones.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Didn't really have a budget since I don't know anything about them. Maybe $200?

Lawnboi

WKR
A chamber vac is the Cadillac, and much faster, easier and cheaper to use, can use many kinds of bags which are dirt cheap, and seal liquids which in turn gives you a much easier time getting a quality seal on meat. But they can be pricy, and take up some room. Well over budget.

Check out vacmaster if your intrigued, just a warning, they are all over your budget.

Murdy

WKR
I have a Foodsaver that's lasted me quite a while--can't remember exactly when I got it, but its got to be approaching 10 years. If you are not doing a huge volume, that should serve you well and be in your price point.

Azone

WKR
I have ran the hell out of a Vacmaster 305 for the last 4 years. Between hunting, fishing, making sausage and salami it has been a CHAMP! Easily 2500 bags sealed with it in the time I have had it. It will slow down and stop sucking air if you try to run 30 bags through it non stop though. Some bag brands work better than other ones also. Keep in mind what brand of bags work the best and stock up on them. Nothing more frustrating than waiting 45 seconds for a bag to seal when you got 60 to 70 bags of sausage to take care of because the bags are garbage. I really recommend buying the best one you can afford because there is nothing more frustrating than watching your sealer take a crap while trying to get deer in the freezer (I was a witness to one such incident). It's an investment if you are going to be killing animals for food. Proper storage is just as important as having your tag and license. Buy once, cry once.

Tod osier

WKR
A chamber vac is the Cadillac, and much faster, easier and cheaper to use, can use many kinds of bags which are dirt cheap, and seal liquids which in turn gives you a much easier time getting a quality seal on meat. But they can be pricy, and take up some room. Well over budget.

Check out vacmaster if your intrigued, just a warning, they are all over your budget.

All true, plus they are HUGE and HEAVY, but oh so awesome. Really like mine and never regretted it after the first seal. I have a VP112. which is an entry level chamber vac. Use it all the time, love it. Don't know what I'll do when it dies, buy another similar or upgrade to a commercial one.

Just bought the Weston. Haven’t received it yet. Let me know if I’ve made a mistake. Thanks

I got a very basic food saver as a gift and it has worked great. The two key features I’ve missed when using a friends upgraded model were being able to store a roll inside the unit and having a cutter in the unit.
The model I have is a v2450 which I think is discontinued.
It’s been one of the best gifts I’ve received and has gotten a lot of use.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve gone through 3-4 cheaper vacuum sealers and finally bought a vacmaster vp215. Should have bought it in the first place and it would have paid for itself with the cheap ones I went through. Love it.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I'm also running the vp215. After 2 standard vac sealers from costco I came across a like new one on craigslist for 500! Biggest plus is things with moisture. I use it for bone stock, clams, oysters and pureed fruits.

I know I lucked out on Craigslist but I would pay full price just for the liquid abilities.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bjsully

FNG
I have been using the FoodSaver GameSaver Big Game GM710 Vacuum Sealer System and have been pretty pleased with it.

You can get it at costco for 119 and it does continuous sealing with an attachment to run from a 12v plug in a car.

Tradchef

WKR
I just picked up a maxvac 1000 for my house this season to replace my foodsaver and it worked flawless. Packed up 5 deer and a bull and lots of trout so I was happy. At the restaurant I use a vacmaster. You can’t go wrong with a chamber vac. If you have the space for it I’d suggest that. You can regulate pressure, time etc.....for soups, stocks, meats, Sous vide items etc. pretty slick. If you don’t have the room I’d look at Weston or an LEM maxvac 500 or 1000. It just depends on your space and needs.

Here is the ultimate test for your vacuum sealer! Ring out your kitchen sponge then vacuum seal it. When it is sealed in the bag squeeze it if any air bubbles come out you do not have a true vacuum seal.