Vacuum

Enough of this Highlander jiberish. I have a real question. If I could pee off of my treestand in a vacuum, would it look different? No, not that kind of vacuum, Aron.

OP
Brandon Pattison
We talking your standard Dyson Ball or Kirby or a space that is devoid of matter?

Outer space. You see, when it gets to about -10' it breaks up from the wind it catches from the force of gravity as it gains speed. I actually wondered if anyone on here ever did a thesis on the subject and could report back the fact that it would essentially be a continuous stream without any gaps due to the cohesion forces of the molecular structure of the liquid. It could essentially draw out the urine in an accelerated manner rendering one wounded or dehydrated or both. Just wondered is all, gheesh.

Rizzy

WKR
I think cohesion would hold a liquid together in a Vacuum, however with out gravity pulling the urine down away from your body it could get interesting

ckleeves

WKR
Outer space. You see, when it gets to about -10' it breaks up from the wind it catches from the force of gravity as it gains speed. I actually wondered if anyone on here ever did a thesis on the subject and could report back the fact that it would essentially be a continuous stream without any gaps due to the cohesion forces of the molecular structure of the liquid. It could essentially draw out the urine in an accelerated manner rendering one wounded or dehydrated or both. Just wondered is all, gheesh.

Wow you think about weirder stuff than I do and thats saying something. I don't think it would accelerate anything or leave you dehydrated but I'm not that knowledgeable on such subjects although I am somewhat of an expert when it comes to peeing off very high places.

2rocky

WKR
Something like THIS?

satellites_jacklin_2.jpg

Ok SO I'd have to know some things....

What is the negative pressure of space vacuum? we create artificial vacuums like in blood draw tubes and that stays in a stream for the short distance. If the negative pressure was greater then I think a scattering effect would overwhelm any cohesion effect that the liquid stream would have.

Astronauts say a urine dump is a beautiful sight.

Schweickart: Well, actually, in Skylab we did something similar to that. But on Apollo the urine then would go outside, and you'd have to heat the nozzle because, of course, it instantly flashes into ice crystals. And, in fact, I told Stewart this, the most beautiful sight in orbit, or one of the most beautiful sights, is a urine dump at sunset, because as the stuff comes out and as it hits the exit nozzle it instantly flashes into ten million little ice crystals which go out almost in a hemisphere, because, you know, you're exiting into essentially a perfect vacuum, and so the stuff goes in every direction, and all radially out from the spacecraft at relatively high velocity. It's surprising, and it's an incredible stream of . . . just a spray of sparklers almost. It's really a spectacular sight. At any rate that's the urine system on Apollo.

Last edited: