Valkyrie Broadheads

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Don't seem to be a lot of information out there on these heads. Anyone have any experience with them? Been looking for some 150gr options and came across the Valkrie Blood Eagle. They look intriguing and I was wanting to test some out. Looking for some information on edge retention, long range performance, durability, and resharpening.

Blood eagles are S41040 tool steel, very good edge retention and easier to sharpen then the Titanium Jaggers which are S7. Long range performance is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

406unltd

WKR
I can’t speak to the blood eagle but Ive shot the 210shortJag for the last year and love em. If you get Brents sharpening system they get nasty nasty mirror finish sharp. Touches up banged up edges very nice and quick compared to other methods. If you can afford them I’d recommend them

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Price would not really be an issue. I like trying new broadheads. It keeps me interested and keeps me practicing. I like the Iron Wills and Day 6 Evos but just really not a fan of bleeder blades. I keep trying to find a solid construction fixed head with the best long range performance and accuracy. I can make about anything work and shoot decent but im still searching for "the best" for me.

jmav58

WKR
I've got Bloodeagle 175 vented heads. They fly great so far at 75 yards and surprisingly aren't noisy like I've found some vented broadheads to be. This will be my first year hunting with them so I don't have any experience putting them through an animal. Edge retention through a foam target and a 3" tree limb is great......

406unltd

WKR
I am aware that broadheads aren’t supposed to hit like field points at longer range but these heads really have for me.
Here’s a shot at 90 with them. I shot 7 shots that morning and the group is the pic below.

Attachments

• 98FE8C2D-4A29-4934-93D8-80CDCBD709C2.jpeg
    98FE8C2D-4A29-4934-93D8-80CDCBD709C2.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: Zac
OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Heck yeah. Thats exactly what im looking for in a set up. I would say im better than average at tuning and still have trouble with alot of fixed heads past 60 yds. Seems like when the arrow starts to slow down the broadhead starts to plane the arrow. The Valkyrie being a 1" cutting dia with the profile it has should be better than most at long range.

406unltd

WKR
It might be better for long range than some other heads I don’t know for sure because previously I only shot out to 60 with BH. It’s also possible that I might be doing something wrong to have them hitting out that far. All I know is my target tips hit good out to 140 if I don’t mess it up, and my broadheads hit right with them out to 90. People say it’s not possible to have FP/BH hit same spot that far cause of drag ect....that’s why I totally think it’s possible my setup/tune is flawed somehow.

IrishnId

WKR
I shot the 200 grn Jaggers last year. Arrow flight with their field tips and broadheads was great AFTER I super tuned my bow. Was iffy before hand. Penetration is great. I'm shooting around 262fps with a 485grn total arrow. I missed a target at a shoot and blew thru the steel powder river gate tubing, with zero damage to thexarrow except for fletching. Unfortunately the animal that took a broadhead last year was an amped up pronghorn that dropped my shot at 48 yards. I center punched a vertebra and had a complete pass thru with no damage to arrow or broadhead. No dullness or tip curling. I will be dropping to a 180 or 160 grn head this year as I'd like to get back closer to the 280fps range. Super durable design with the center pin technology.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR
That’s a lot of money to commit to a single system like that, that’s the only thing that’s kept me from messing with them. Commitment issues I guess. 6 arrow quiver 6 different broadheads....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Im not a fan or believer in the system myself. I just like the broadhead design.

FlyGuy

WKR
I made the switch 2 years ago to the whole system (230gr BH) and I can’t imagine I’ll ever shoot anything else...

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
So I did go ahead and buy a pack of the 150gr just to try them out. Overall I'm pretty impressed, especially with the flight characteristics and long range performance. They weren't as sharp out of the pack as I would have thought they would have been but they were still pretty sharp.

Unless you think you might move on and try something else, get the sharpening wheels. (There's a definite consensus surrounding that.) Looks like some folks have just gotten cheap Wen grinders and done fine.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Im going to get the sharpening system and see how it does. If I can get these broadheads as sharp as they say I will definitely be using them this fall.

That’s one thing I’ve noticed testing broadheads at 100 yards. With a perfect tune, the heads with slightly longer Ferrels would hit lower. That included expandables like vortex and rage trypans.

I found shorter Ferrell heads like Iron Will to shoot the best and group exactly with my field points at 100 yards.
Just my own hill billy observations