Vancouver island bc black tail

Shoothow

FNG
I’ve been bow hunting for black tails for the last 2 yrs for black tail. As of yet never harvested one but slowly getting closer and finding more does and feeding areas. They say their phantoms of the forest for good reason.
I look forward to going out this season going to go check out some old growth areas.
Happy hunting

fmyth

WKR
Are you hunting on the West coast? I spent a summer on the island and would love to go back and hunt sometime. Saw lots of deer and bears.

OP
S

Shoothow

FNG
I live on The island. Southern part. Lots of bears and deer for sure.
Still hunting is probably best tactic lots of thick brush

fmyth

WKR
I spent the summer in Courtenay. We are planning on doing it again in the next year or two but this time staying in our travel trailer. May have to bring my bow. Good luck with your hunt.

K

Kootenay Hunter

If you'd like to pop your cherry, consider hunting on one of the gulf islands, tags are liberal. Good way to get meat. might not be the thing if you're looking for a soul satisfying hunt though.

My understanding a minimal experience is that deer tend to prefer open spaces when it rains as they can hear better, in the bush rain is much louder on the leaves, etc.

So sticking it out in crappy weather will increase your odds in the right spots.

And of course, finding those spot that others refuse to get to....easier said than done on the Island with all the logging, etc. Going north might be more successful too.

Good luck!

OP
S

Shoothow

FNG
Yeah I hear salt spring island is great for meat
But I would to explore north island past Courtney

Cf8889

FNG
Archery season is just around the corner! I'm on the north end of the island...hoping I can get out a bit!