Vane length/count and ballistic drag

Blandry

WKR
I recently switched to 4 vane arrows and have noticed a speed decrease but not necessarily an accuracy/flight improvement.

Is there any merit to more and longer vanes increasing drag etc? I mean I'm sure it has an effect but is it enough to be concerned with?

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I should follow up saying that I have two diff arrows I'm testing for this season.. one is a 2'' 3 vane and the other is a 3'' 4 vane basically the same arrow and the 4 vane is slower (same gpi/head) but not more accurate.

Have you shot both with broadheads?

Once you have adequate drag (stabilization), you won't see an improvement except maybe forgiveness. Broadheads will require more, especially if your form isn't absolutely perfect, on a hunting arrow I like having plenty of stabilization. However I still don't use 4 vane, just 3 good sized vanes.

You can get more drag with a 2" 3 vane with heavy helical than a 3" 4 vane that is just straight offset, so a lot of factors, including the overall height play into all of it.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
You know I've only used my SEVR 1.5's in locked mode (screwed down) which fly pretty close my field points. I see what you're saying is pretty indicative because the 4 vanes are more helical than the 3 vanes.

I might have more stabilization over 40-50 yards which has pretty much what I'm testing at..

I see..so if your bow is setup correctly.. arrows stabilized.. 3 vs 4 vanes.. depending upon vane size/height.. its moot.. within 50 yds

Broadhead testing (fixed vs expandable).. however 4 vanes WILL stabilize better with fixed heads ranges north of 50 yards.

Last edited:
OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Pardon my ignorance but I rarely take game with a bow further than 60 yards.. maybe this year I will who knows.. trying to increase my range and going to 4 vanes was part of it...

My new arrows are 4 vane AND helical.. pretty huge speed drop

Day six 300 HD cut to 27'' with the ti 300 in/out serts and 100gr heads. 466gr arrows, 560 with heads.

Last edited:
More drag on the back will stabilize faster. Lots of ways to skin that cat. Heavy helical, taller vanes, more vanes.

Ideally it doesn't really need stabilization, when tuned so your bareshafts are hitting with fletched, you clearly don't need stabilization.

In the real hunting world, where things happen, stabilization is needed. Cause well, many of us aren't always perfect.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Understood.. stabilization and spine is paramount. also of note I'm shooting a Hoyt RX-4 Carbon Turbo @ 70lbs,, 28'' draw on the #2 cam full out, actually a bit over at 73.

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
As Billygoat said lots of ways to get there. For me the only difference a 4 fletch gave me was 60yd + accuracy using high end fixed blade heads. Especially solid heads like IW solids. But that was me and may not be everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
This is what I wanted to hear.. 3 vs 4 fletch and lengths, plus helical. This is all making a big difference in hw my bow tunes.. its interesting.. I've always used the same 450gr 2'' 3 vane setup.. now have a 4 vane 550gr arrow I'm trying to tune.

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I wanted to hear.. 3 vs 4 fletch and lengths, plus helical. This is all making a big difference in hw my bow tunes.. its interesting.. I've always used the same 450gr 2'' 3 vane setup

I loved and offset 4 fletch for real long distance. But certainly slowed the arrow down. I’m currently shooting 3 fletch with more of a helical. I wanted some speed back.

Both setups I use AAE stealth max. Having a quiet arrow is really important to me. And they were the quietest of what I could test. Definitely quieter than taller vanes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently switched to 4 vane arrows and have noticed a speed decrease but not necessarily an accuracy/flight improvement.

Is there any merit to more and longer vanes increasing drag etc? I mean I'm sure it has an effect but is it enough to be concerned with?
More and longer vanes definitely increase drag. As does a higher vane profile and greater offset/helical angle. More fletching drag helps counteract the planing tendencies of broadheads (especially fixed blades) but hurts downrange speed. The effect on speed is generally minor though. How much slower are your 4 fletch arrows compared to 3 fletch? Are you measuring the speeds with a chronograph or just deducing the speed change based on point of impact and/or pin gaps?

The video linked below shows some speed data collected with 3 and 4 vanes fletched at various angles. That particular test showed 5-8 fps loss at 80 yds with 4 fletch vs. 3.
Screenshot_20210723-082357_2.png

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I'm deducing on pin gap/field drop because my chrono is still in storage and i don't have a backup (but should). I actually use drop over range in the field. granted in my field use we're dealing with wind speed etc.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
So a 3v4 vane, 450-650 gr different broadhead (fixed vs bs (most expendables) could be in order

Zac

WKR
I think if you are nock tuning a fletched shaft it makes sense to do a 4 fletch. However if you don't care or your turning nocks on a bareshaft 3 is fine. There isn't alot of reasons for one over the other. I like a slight offset with Tac Vanes so I can read a paper tear. The heavy helical blows the shit out of paper. Again if you are just broadhead tuning, and maybe turning the occasional nock on one that's not grouping than it is very insignificant. Most people shoot 4 fletch because it is more pleasing to look at.

I think if you are nock tuning a fletched shaft it makes sense to do a 4 fletch. However if you don't care or your turning nocks on a bareshaft 3 is fine. There isn't alot of reasons for one over the other. I like a slight offset with Tac Vanes so I can read a paper tear. The heavy helical blows the shit out of paper. Again if you are just broadhead tuning, and maybe turning the occasional nock on one that's not grouping than it is very insignificant. Most people shoot 4 fletch because it is more pleasing to look at.

If nock tuning after fletching I would use a 4 fletch, just gives you more options to find that spot.

Assuming you have a rest it will work with.

Reactions: Zac

Brendan

WKR
however 4 vanes WILL stabilize better with fixed heads ranges north of 50 yards.

Not necessarily correct. Try a good flying head like an iron will, on a well built correctly spined arrow, out of a well tuned bow and you're not going to see a difference. Once you get adequate stabilization and an arrow flying well and stabilized, you're basically just losing downrange speed.

But, if you make a bad shot and torque the bow pretty good on a shot, then 4-fletch still can make a difference.

Bill V made a good point recently that a higher profile vane like a Max Hunter (instead of a Max Stealth) will stabilize better than a lower profile vane. I've been shooting 3 fletch Max Stealth at about a 1.5 degree helical for a while now, may try Max Hunters again for that reason.