Vanguard Endeavor HD 15-45x65 Angled- Review

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
So, I just got this scope in the mail today and decided to really see if it could do what I've heard...
Well. It did, and more.
Took it out today at 3ish in the afternoon, and easily glassed up a few deer at on a hillside about a mile. 2 mature deer and 3 that were this years fawns.

Adjustments were smooth, crisp and very intuitive. Eyepiece has great eye relief and is nice and smooth on the magnification adjustments. Focus knob (dual stage, fast and fine) is VERY smooth and has good grip.

This evening I decided to see how long it would hold out in fading light.
City "sunset" was at 7:26pm at my location tonight.
I dialed in on a house that is under construction at a range of 1000yds from my house.
I could easily see the lines in the T-1-11 siding on 45x until 7:55pm, (In Oregon we have until 30 minutes after "sunset" to hunt big game, so close to 8pm was my goal here.)
At 7:50pm orange and white tabby cat with 3 white feet and a white nose and tail tip walked through the construction site, I could easily make out the tabby patterning on it's coat and details of it's coloring, it DID have a collar... By 8pm I could no longer make out the lines in the siding clearly at 45x, but I could if I dialed back to 30x and let more light in, at 8:10 I decided it was getting cold and I wasn't making any more headway, I could still see lots of detail at 30x or less. LOL
I have zero doubt that I could have picked out details on deer/elk/ other big game out to 1000+ until well after legal hunting light. (Not that I hunt after hours, but that also relates to being able to setup EARLY in the morning and be on the glass when things start stirring, light wise.)
For a scope that is easily found for $400 new from vendors and for much less in a slightly used, or on sale deal, I just can't believe how great this thing is. It is much clearer that MANY scopes I have looked through that are 2x or more the price.
I hope this helps anyone looking for a great scope at a great price!

They have an amazing warranty as well. Very underrated glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ptarmigan

FNG
The big brown van dropped one off to me today as well. I didn't get much time with it but was impressed with what I saw. I sent in the rebate form and upc from the box for the free Abeo 243 tripod. Don't know how good it is but it's a free $170 tripod so it can't be all bad.

Titan

WKR
I have been struggling to decide between this spotting scope and a Vortex Diamondback. I have no doubt the glass is better, but I'm afraid I will be missing out by losing the 20-60X on the Vortex. I will be using the scope at a minimum of 1 mile.

Have you compared it to other scopes with a larger zoom?

dotman

WKR
I have been struggling to decide between this spotting scope and a Vortex Diamondback. I have no doubt the glass is better, but I'm afraid I will be missing out by losing the 20-60X on the Vortex. I will be using the scope at a minimum of 1 mile.

Ahhh just so you know the Vanguard Endeavor HD is just as good as the Vortex Razor and will completely destroy a diamondback. There should be no considering of a diamondback over the Vanguard. I had a Razor and Vanguard at the same time to compare, sold the Razor asap.

If you want the 20-60x get the 82 series. Trust me clear glass at a lower zoom is always better then crappy glass with more zoom.

OP
SkinnyPete

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider

I just got rid of my 20-60x80 Zen-Ray, witch is a direct copy of a Vortex Razor. Zero question that the Vanguard has better glass. What I have realized is that anymore unless I am detail picking at first light, I rarely go over 45x anyway because of atmospherics. I mean, one the boil starts, 60x is really not fun.
I used to have a leupold gold ring spotter, the Vanguard is much better than that. Better eye relief, view, etc.
They make a 20-60x80mm in the Endeavor HD also if you reaaaly want that 80mm, but the eyepiece is exactly the same. Good stuff.

Sent from handheld device with tiny keyboard.

bccrover

FNG
Just got my 82A a couple of weeks ago. I am quite impressed with it. Just got the free tripod last night after sending in the proper forms. Bought direct from Vanguard and caught a sale where the 82a plus tripod were $500 with free shipping. Thanks to several folks here for pointing me this direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ptarmigan

FNG
Just got my 82A a couple of weeks ago. I am quite impressed with it. Just got the free tripod last night after sending in the proper forms. Bought direct from Vanguard and caught a sale where the 82a plus tripod were $500 with free shipping. Thanks to several folks here for pointing me this direction.

I bought mine directly though Vanguard as well. I tried to order through Cabelas to use a $20 off coupon but they wouldn't deliver to AK for some reason, even though it said shipped directly from manufacturer. Free shipping from Vanguard though. Weird. Sent in the rebate immediately. How do you like the tripod they sent you?

bccrover

FNG
Seems sturdy. Head seems decent. Only three piece legs so not very compact. On the heavy side at 4.6 pounds total on my scale. Will make a great around the truck tripod for me. This is my first pan head, so far from an expert, but it is much nicer than the little ball head on my slik mini with the 82 on top!

Titan

WKR
Ahhh just so you know the Vanguard Endeavor HD is just as good as the Vortex Razor and will completely destroy a diamondback. There should be no considering of a diamondback over the Vanguard. I had a Razor and Vanguard at the same time to compare, sold the Razor asap.

If you want the 20-60x get the 82 series. Trust me clear glass at a lower zoom is always better then crappy glass with more zoom.

Yeah, I knew the Vanguard really competes with the higher end Vortex, but I was only comparing equally priced units. The only reason was for that extra 15X the Vortex offers in the smaller sized scope. 82 is just too big to lug around a mountain for me.

I just got rid of my 20-60x80 Zen-Ray, witch is a direct copy of a Vortex Razor. Zero question that the Vanguard has better glass. What I have realized is that anymore unless I am detail picking at first light, I rarely go over 45x anyway because of atmospherics. I mean, one the boil starts, 60x is really not fun.
I used to have a leupold gold ring spotter, the Vanguard is much better than that. Better eye relief, view, etc.
They make a 20-60x80mm in the Endeavor HD also if you reaaaly want that 80mm, but the eyepiece is exactly the same. Good stuff.

Thanks for the info. Didn't mean to derail the thread. But i think that settled it for me...and the free tripod offer is still up!

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 65A a few weeks ago and am very impressed with the glass as well. I also received my free tripod today from Vanguard. It's not a backpacking tripod but will be great glassing from my rig. It's plenty tall for me to stand and glass as well, and I'm 6'2". Not bad for a free deal. I may have a tripod problem though..
b5bac62813400c874fa9af2c5b64fbb1.jpg

I bought a 65A a few weeks ago and am very impressed with the glass as well. I also received my free tripod today from Vanguard. It's not a backpacking tripod but will be great glassing from my rig. It's plenty tall for me to stand and glass as well, and I'm 6'2". Not bad for a free deal. I may have a tripod problem though..

you can NEVER have too many tripods.

OP
SkinnyPete

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider

I also got the Vanguard tripod, swapped my Manfrotto head onto it, and I actually like it. You're right, it's not ultralight, but pretty stable and tall enough to not need to run the center post up very fat to be of good use.
I am wondering what the other tripods you have in the pic are? I'm still looking for a nice smaller, packable tripod.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I also got the Vanguard tripod, swapped my Manfrotto head onto it, and I actually like it. You're right, it's not ultralight, but pretty stable and tall enough to not need to run the center post up very fat to be of good use.
I am wondering what the other tripods you have in the pic are? I'm still looking for a nice smaller, packable tripod.

The smallest one is a Vortex Summit SSP which is a pretty nice, super lightweight little tripod. I used it for a couple years with really no issues (actually just sold it though). I personally thought it was a touch small for a 65mm scope, but a good deal for the money. I have seen guys switch out the head on it too (never tried it). The middle sized tripod is a set of small Schonfeld carbon legs, with a Schonfeld pan head on it. I recently picked it up at the Western Hunting Expo from Linton Outdoors. I really like the legs and think they're a great deal for a set of lightweight carbon legs. The head is around $30-40, but I have liked it so far. I'll probably switch it out for a Manfrotto or Benro head next year. But I like it for what it is and I'll give it a solid run this year. I've yet to run the legs or head for long, but think they'll hold up for my uses. And the large tripod is the free one from Vanguard, the Abeo 243. I'll have to consider adding a different head to this set up. Thanks for the tip.

ediggity

FNG
I know this is a very old thread but I was interested in this scope, And read all of these great reviews. Plus another excellent review from a well respected hunter... also raving and comparing the vanguard endeavor glass to other much more expensive scopes (or something similar). But on amazon the reviews are all horrible. Is this a fluke or did something change in the design or quality control??? Are you guys still happy with your endeavor?

I just got the 82mm version and have been thoroughly impressed with it, especially for the money. I got a free tripod as well and took off the head to put it on a lighter tripod. I’ve compared it to the first gen razor and would say that it definitely isn’t as clear but is surprisingly close for how cheap it is.

Buzby

WKR
I bought an endeavor hd 65 off amazon. I was not impressed. It got dark really quick at higher magnification. Good for the money? Sure, I guess. I bought the 50 razor and it’s usable range is as good as the higher power endeavors usable range, plus it’s considerably lighter weight. Maybe the ones on amazon aren’t their best quality, I don’t know. Both scope where made in China unfortunately.