Vanguard vs Mark V

Is the difference in price worth it?
I like nice things but I don’t make a living with a rifle.
I do have a couple high end pea shooters but I’m not looking for another one, just have an interest in a Weatherby.
Are the barrels the same? Different stocks and triggers?
Not as refined of an action?
I’ll take any input. Appreciate the help.

Rat

FNG
Weatherby Vanguard's action and barrel are manufactured by Howa. They are very good rifles, I don't think you would disappointed with either rifle.

OP
Buckshot85
I assume the action is a solid platform for the Weatherby cartridges then.
Know nothing about the Howa rifles.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Vanguard is a howa 1500 with the regular 2 lug design and 90 degree bolt throw. mark v is a weatherby built action, 9 lug in magnums calibers 6 lugs in standard with a recessed bolt face and 45 degree bolt throw. The mark v is definitely a more refined well built rifle but in reality the vanguard/howa action is already incredibly strong and accurate and you're not really gaining anything in the price except for the craftsmanship which with so many good shooting budget rifles these days seems to be the norm. I like having nice things but realized my buddies 300 dollar ruger american shoots just as well as my semi custom in any sort of hunting situation

I prefer the idea of a 2 lug 90 degree action to the 6 or 9 lug Mark V with 54 degree bolt throw.

More lugs =
  1. more interfaces to be out of true
  2. more weight (generalization)
  3. more contact surfaces creating friction
  4. stiffer bolt lift / close
The two lug actions are plenty robust, the idea of having a super strong action with a bunch of lugs might have made sense with if you're going to hotrod a wildcat but isn't necessary. I've heard the bolt lift / close lightens up with use but every new Mark V i've handled is rough in that regard. The shorter bolt throw on the mark v can come in handy depending on your scope clearance and bolt handle situation.

That said, the Mark V's usually come more polished with a nicer stock and are made in WY. I'm not that familiar with trigger / bottom metal differences.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
No problem, if you're interested in the vanguard be sure to look for howa 1500, smith and wesson 1500 and mossberg 1500 as they are all the same. A few places online sell it as the howa 1500 in a barreled action for a really good price and you could drop that into a custom stock for a great rifle at a good price

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I love my old weatherby vanguard but a mark v rifle is better on several levels
#1 made in brainerd mn USofA
#2 lesser degree of bolt throw
#3 6 or 9 lug depending on caliber
#4 more features available like carbon barrel and better dbm options.

OP
Buckshot85
I’m kind wanting one of the Weatherby cartridges.
Ive got a .300WSM, 30-06, .260 Rem and some smaller stuff.
Was wanting one if the Weatherby mags just cuz I can. I’ll take a closer look at the Vanguard.
Appreciate the input, All

sndmn11

WKR
If you choose a vanguard, your best value bar-none will be the now discontinued Wilderness or Backcountry versions because they both came with the B&C lightweight stocks with aluminum bedding blocks. They also are 6.75lbs-ish. Only the Camilla Wilderness currently comes with the B&C stocks, the others are the synthentic "griptonite" which I think the more expensive models are very overpriced without the B&C stock. You would be better served getting a basic model and getting an aftermarket stock, than getting one of the more expensive current Vanguard models other than the Wilderness/Backcountry. I am positive they discontinued these two models because they were such a great value and picking up the customer who would potentially buy a basic model MkV.
Vanguard® Wilderness™ (weatherby.com)
Vanguard® Backcountry (weatherby.com)

We have four Vanguards, and I think they are great.

I have a vanguard and a mark v. The Vanguard is a fine rifle but the fit and finish, trigger, and stock are much lower quality. I don't need fancy things but when I pick up my Mk V I think this is a nice rifle, not so much with the vanguard. My main complaint with the Vanguard is the safety. It is punched steel part and feels very rinky dink but It functions as a safe and works fine. I bought a B & C stock for the vanguard after the plastic one felt so cheap (so I agree with Sndmn11) get the vanguard version with the nice stock, and the blued finish rusted so quickly I had to have it ceracoated. It was a $500 dollar gun but then I spent $350 on it.... My Mrk V 6 lug has a fluted stainless barrel and a nice stock that was $1000 and weighs 1.5# less.

Wapiti1

WKR
You've mentioned the Weatherby cartridges a couple of times, but I didn't see you mention which one. The Vanguard is only available in a few of those. You'll have to go mark V to get the full line up. I've owned both. They are both nice rifle platforms and work as advertised.

Jeremy

BDWMT

FNG
I’m a Weatherby fan and own several in both actions. I love the Mark V other than the weight but disappointed that the Vanguard for half the price is almost always more accurate than the Mark V.

I have had this Mark V, .30-06, 9 lug for over 30 years. It was the first time I listened to my Dad on buying a heirloom and working my tail off to afford it. It still my favorite gun I have and has been with me every deer and elk hunts. Getting older and starting to notice the weight at around 9.5lbs. Last year, I borrowed a friends custom Howa 6.5mm for range work looking at lighter weight outfits. There isn't anything regarding that action (same as Vanguard) that I noticed or bothered me. I ended up with a Tikka, but agree with previous poster, today's guns are more refined and have closed the gap.

Over the many hunts, I can say once for sure and maybe twice, that the shorter throw was an advantage. It was on my first bull Elk that the shorter throw for me allowed to work the action before it hit dark timber. My brother looked at me and asked how I was able to do that. Granted, I know the rifle well.

My suggestion, if this gun is going to be your forever primary, don't skimp. I do like my Remmy's (oddly one is in .257 Wby), Tikka, CVA Cascade and Ruger. All of those are more specific type use and serve their purpose very well, regardless of the lower price point. I handled a Vanguard while shopping, it felt great and hit all the marks except for the cheaper stock on model I had and heavier than what I wanted.

20210119_175734~3.jpg

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I think the Vanguard is every bit the equal to the Mark V from a function point of view. Howa makes a good, accurate rifle. If you find a Vanguard or Howa that has the stock, barrel, or other features that you like, you can hardly find a better rifle ... if you don't mind the weight. Disclaimer: I've spent a lot of time with both but have never owned a Mark V. I'd love to own one, although I don't feel like I'm missing out.