Vanguard vs. Sirui

I'm looking to buy my first tripod set up and an wondering if there's a huge difference between the two setups below.

I will be using this for 2 weeks on a mule deer hunt in Wyoming. After that I will probably sell it.

The Sirui T-004S with a VA-5 head for $140

For half the price I can get a vanguard Vesta - $70

Worth the extra money for the Sirui?

The Sirui head alone is worth it. The combo is normally $189.90. With the 15% off we give it comes to $161.42 and then you get $24.21 back from Sirui. So your net cost is $137.21 after the rebate. IMO, there is no fluid head in the same league as the Sirui VA5 in its price point

OP
H
The Sirui head alone is worth it. The combo is normally $189.90. With the 15% off we give it comes to $161.42 and then you get $24.21 back from Sirui. So your net cost is $137.21 after the rebate. IMO, there is no fluid head in the same league as the Sirui VA5 in its price point

Thanks for the response Joel. I'm not questioning that the Sirui is a great deal. I guess I should have rephrased the question.

If I go with the Vanguard, am I going to end up sitting on a ridge glassing and kicking myself for not spending the extra money? Or will it work fine for my 2 week trip?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My wife owns two tripods for photography (and I have played with both). One is a Vanguard Alta Pro. The other is a Sirui T-025X. Granted these are different tripods, both from each other and from what you are looking at, but I can provide some observations on each brand.

The Vanguard Alto Pro is a big, heavy, aluminium tripod and it is stable. The Sirui T-025X is a compact carbon fiber tripod, and is amusingly stable for what it is, especially with the center column removed.

The Vanguard ball head that came with it was pretty bad (and has been replaced with an FLM CB-43 head). The ball head that came the Sirui is very good (not FLM good, but close enough that it will not be replaced until it wears out; which after two years of moderate use, it does not appear to be doing. To provide a little more color, I would take the very small Sirui ball head over the large Vanguard ball head, even where size and weight where not a concern.

The levers on the Vanguard legs are annoying and slow to set up and break down. The twist lock legs on the Sirui are very well executed and lend themselves to fast deployment and adjustment. With one hand you can grab all the adjustment sections, give 1/3 of a twist and they will be ready to be extended.

The method by which the Sirui legs lock into posting is simple, intuitive, and robust. The Vanguard uses plastic and buttons, which I don't really like.

One day the Vanguard tripod will be upgraded. However the Sirui will be used until it no longer functions.

For the two tripods you are looking at, weight is close (Vanguard 1.13 Kg, Sirui 1.04 Kg), however the Sirui has double the load capacity (7.6 Kg vs 3.49 Kg). The Vanguard has 6 more inches of max working height. However both are low enough, that unless you are extremely short, you will not be able to stand comfortably, so I see this as a minimal difference.

For me, I would pay $70 more and get the Sirui, I would even pay $150 more for the Sirui. I would not be inclined to buy another Vanguard. Not that the Vanguard is garbage, it has worked well for over 6 years, but that is also 6 years of wishing for better functionality out of it.

Thanks for the response Joel. I'm not questioning that the Sirui is a great deal. I guess I should have rephrased the question.

If I go with the Vanguard, am I going to end up sitting on a ridge glassing and kicking myself for not spending the extra money? Or will it work fine for my 2 week trip?
Sirui is a tripod company. They make all of their own tripods. Vanguard is not, they source them. Not saying the Vanguard is bad, but the Sirui T004SKVA5 is better and with the 15% and 15% deal it's a GREAT deal on a tripod you will have for a long time

OP
H
My wife owns two tripods for photography (and I have played with both). One is a Vanguard Alta Pro. The other is a Sirui T-025X. Granted these are different tripods, both from each other and from what you are looking at, but I can provide some observations on each brand.

The Vanguard Alto Pro is a big, heavy, aluminium tripod and it is stable. The Sirui T-025X is a compact carbon fiber tripod, and is amusingly stable for what it is, especially with the center column removed.

The Vanguard ball head that came with it was pretty bad (and has been replaced with an FLM CB-43 head). The ball head that came the Sirui is very good (not FLM good, but close enough that it will not be replaced until it wears out; which after two years of moderate use, it does not appear to be doing. To provide a little more color, I would take the very small Sirui ball head over the large Vanguard ball head, even where size and weight where not a concern.

The levers on the Vanguard legs are annoying and slow to set up and break down. The twist lock legs on the Sirui are very well executed and lend themselves to fast deployment and adjustment. With one hand you can grab all the adjustment sections, give 1/3 of a twist and they will be ready to be extended.

The method by which the Sirui legs lock into posting is simple, intuitive, and robust. The Vanguard uses plastic and buttons, which I don't really like.

One day the Vanguard tripod will be upgraded. However the Sirui will be used until it no longer functions.

For the two tripods you are looking at, weight is close (Vanguard 1.13 Kg, Sirui 1.04 Kg), however the Sirui has double the load capacity (7.6 Kg vs 3.49 Kg). The Vanguard has 6 more inches of max working height. However both are low enough, that unless you are extremely short, you will not be able to stand comfortably, so I see this as a minimal difference.

For me, I would pay $70 more and get the Sirui, I would even pay $150 more for the Sirui. I would not be inclined to buy another Vanguard. Not that the Vanguard is garbage, it has worked well for over 6 years, but that is also 6 years of wishing for better functionality out of it.

This was a great write up - thanks for taking the time to share it. Based on this, the other comments, and coming to the reality that I can be a cheap ass at times - I'm gonna go with the Sirui.

Block

WKR
The Vanguard stuff Iv used is JUNK.,,, both their glass and their tripods

WKR

WKR
I have a Vanguard Veo2 carbon fiber that I really like. Really light but sturdy and very smooth. Got it on camofire for a good price. $120 I think.