Vap arrow testing

IrishnId

WKR
Excellent write up! I started using the VAP's last year and have been very pleased with the performance. Just one bit of info that i've found. They are not the best for stump shooting ground squirrel extermination and such. They hit to hard and the insert ends up taking a heck of a beating, often times bending into uselessness. Just my two bits.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice job Rebecca - Good info! Do you have to cut the arrows longer if your rest would ride on the insert (since they are tapered)? Seems like if you normally cut your arrows on the short side (like me), with very little overhang, you will need to add some length to keep the rest off the tapered insert. I would expect some accuracy issues (up and down stringing in the groups) if you did not. Thanks for the write-up!

Coop

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great article Rebecca! Very informative. Did I read your bow set up correctly- you're pulling over 55 pounds? Let's see those guns! With the few women I've been around in archery, that was always the limiting factor in performance was the 40 pound or so draw weights they could pull. You certianly don't have that problem. Do you and bearguide ever arm wrestle? Poor fellow...

OP
R

rebecca francis

Nice job Rebecca - Good info! Do you have to cut the arrows longer if your rest would ride on the insert (since they are tapered)? Seems like if you normally cut your arrows on the short side (like me), with very little overhang, you will need to add some length to keep the rest off the tapered insert. I would expect some accuracy issues (up and down stringing in the groups) if you did not. Thanks for the write-up!

Coop

Thanks Darin! And you are right the arrow has to be cut off so that the rest is on the arrow shaft and not on the insert so it does not cause issues with accuracy.

OP
R

rebecca francis

Great article Rebecca! Very informative. Did I read your bow set up correctly- you're pulling over 55 pounds? Let's see those guns! With the few women I've been around in archery, that was always the limiting factor in performance was the 40 pound or so draw weights they could pull. You certianly don't have that problem. Do you and bearguide ever arm wrestle? Poor fellow...

Ha ha! I'm afraid I could never beat my husband in an arm wrestle unless he let me use both arms. He's pretty strong! Yes my normal set up is perfect. My second bow that is set up for dangerous game is heavier. I do strain to pull it and can not pull it over and over. But in order for me to get the kinetic energy I need, I have to pull that weight. Ideally I would like to go a bit heavier. My goal is 68 lbs., which is really not that much. I haven't shot that one for a few months and just turned it down to start working my way up again. I go very slow.

what is the insert made out of? I have a few buddies on their staff and they had some issues with them, like bearguide said: they bend easy!! Have you tried using say...easton components on them to get an insert instead of a half outsert? I don't think the Axis HIT will fit BUT the new Deep 6 might.

OP
R

rebecca francis

what is the insert made out of? I have a few buddies on their staff and they had some issues with them, like bearguide said: they bend easy!! Have you tried using say...easton components on them to get an insert instead of a half outsert? I don't think the Axis HIT will fit BUT the new Deep 6 might.
I haven't tried those. But it is true. The insert bends when it takes a good hit. I haven't had too much trouble, but it is definitely an issue.

OP
R

rebecca francis

I just recently returned from a hog hunt in Florida and I couldn't wait to come back and reiterate the penetration ability of the VAP arrow. Anyone who has hunted hogs knows that they are difficult to kill with an arrow for two reasons. One, because of the shoulder plate that is often hit and will prevent most things from penetrating. Two, because those things are so fat...that a lot of times even with a great shot there will be very little or no blood because the fat clogs the whole up quickly. I shot four hogs while on this hunt. The first hog was a complete pass through from 50 yards. The second hog the broadhead hit bone on the other side, but still dropped him. The third and fourth hogs were shot with one arrow....the first of which was a complete pass through, the second one, the arrow penetrated completely through the other side of the hog but didn't quite finish the pass through. Luckily it was all caught on film and will be aired on Eye of the Hunter in August. The main reason I point this out however, is that while I am clearly a fan of the VAP arrow, I only became a fan based on consistent performance. This hunt once again showed me the incredible penetration ability of the arrow. VAP's are awesome!

OP
R

rebecca francis

Dew, the bow I took on this hunt was my Z7 extreme and is 55 lbs. The arrow is 377 grains.

cmeier117

WKR
question for you who use the Stainless steel penetrator head. How do you keep your FOC from going way over 15%? If you are shooting a 100 grain broadhead that is a lot of weight up front is it not? Just curious how you balance out your arrow without having a really heavy arrow?