VAP Penetration Tests

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks for the testing results! What weight insert did you use for the VAP arrows? Thanks!

Too, can you tell me if the outside diameter of the VAP is close to the same as an FMJ or ACC? Curious as to how they'd fit a standard quiver! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Last edited:
OP
R

rebecca francis

Thanks for the testing results! What weight insert did you use for the VAP arrows? Thanks!

Too, can you tell me if the outside diameter of the VAP is close to the same as an FMJ or ACC? Curious as to how they'd fit a standard quiver! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul
The VAP is a little smaller than both, but the FMJ is heavier. Also, I use them in my normal quiver without any problems. Oh and I use the 9/32 size. Thanks Paul!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Bob,

I think Darren Cooper and Evan have both used them....shoot them a PM and I'm sure they will help you out.

trkyslr

WKR
Very nice article Rebecca! I've shot 3d with guys shooting those arrows and they do noticeably penetrate more then any other arrow I've seen shot. It would be interesting to see the vap vs. ds injections in penetration test. I bet it would be a close one.

OP
R

rebecca francis

Bob,

I haven't shot those yet, but plan on it very soon. I am going to pick some up. I would really like to try them.

And thanks trkysir, I agree that those two arrows would make for a very interesting comparison. When I get the easton's I will try it out and post results.

swat8888

WKR
I'll second your results. A buddy of mine and I were shooting a 3D course a few weeks ago. I shoot Beman MFX which is already a smaller diameter arrow and he was shooting the new Injections. Granted the FPS may have resulted in some differentiation. I don't know what grain arrows he shoots, but we both have the same draw weight. My arrows are probably a little heavier. His injections penetrated on average 3-5" deeper than mine. However, until the price comes down a bit and broadhead manufactures can adapt to the smaller diameters I'll stay on the sideline...I think there are only a handful that make broad heads for the Injections.

I have a dozen Injexions and I am in the process of getting a new target. I have shot them a few times in the basement but I had a few go through 2 targets, osb and into the concrete so I am nervous about using them for a bit. Nice read.

IrishnId

WKR
Not that it matters as far as performance goes, but I was informed today that they are now being produced overseas. Most people don't care, but I do. If I can help it all of my outdoor equipment I try to keep made in America. Some of it isn't feasable or even possible, optics and clothing are a pain in that aspect. Thanks to Kuiu I can now keep it in North America. Looks like i'll be trying out the Easton line again. Sorry for my anal retention.

Got my Injexions built this weekend 400 spine cut at 27" total arrow length 396 grains total weight. I have a buddy on the SOCOM Wounded Warrior team I am going to give him a call this week and see if I can't get ahold of 3 VAPs in the equivalent spine and build them to match and see what kind of comparison test I can run between them.

I forgot to weigh my 330 spine carbon Injexions but they shoot about 290 fps. Carbon Element RKT, 29.5", 70# cranked all the way down. About 28" arrow with 100 grain heads with Blazer wraps and vanes (I cut off the factory wraps).

jmez

WKR
Nice article.

Have a question on the theory behind the outsert.
The theory behind this type of design is that because the diameter of the outsert attachment to the broadhead is wider than the rest of the arrow it reduces the amount of drag on the arrow shaft as it penetrates the tissue of an animal.

With a field point yes. The cutting diameter of the any broadhead is much wider than the outsert so it shoudn't matter. The outsert really shouldn't be cutting any type of channel through tissue to let the arrow pass, that would significantly increase friction and drag would it not?