VAP TKO 4 vane setup vs. 3 vane

I just switched to the VAP TKO's when I had to drop my new VXR to 50lbs. because of a shoulder injury. I was shooting Axis 340's, 28" @ 64lbs. with a 4 fletch Max 23 vane. Does anyone shoot the VAP TKO in a 4-vane configuration? If yes, what type of vane, offset/helical? or are 3 vane blazers good for a 100 gr. fixed blade BH from the TKO's? I prefer 4 vanes with fixed blade BH's but unfortunately, my shoulder won't permit much testing. Thanks for your response.

Zac

WKR
3 Blazers are fine. For the most part 23s in a 4 fletch should work as well. Dudley runs this successfully with Rages.

1KNIGHT

FNG
I am running Fusion X-ll SL in a 4 fletch right helical on my VAP TKO’s and they fly like darts. I running Muzzy Trocar Hybrids up front.

OP
B
I am running Fusion X-ll SL in a 4 fletch right helical on my VAP TKO’s and they fly like darts. I running Muzzy Trocar Hybrids up front.
Did you find that the 4 fletch Fusions provided better stability with the Muzzy trocar vs. a 3 fletch setup?

1KNIGHT

FNG
Did you find that the 4 fletch Fusions provided better stability with the Muzzy trocar vs. a 3 fletch?

They seem to fly better but never did any kind of testing. I would say bare shaft tuning makes the most difference. I have noticed by the wildlife in my backyard that they are a quieter vane.

Vandal 44

WKR
I am shooting 3 and 4 fletch on my Victory RIP Elites 350 spine (same diameter as the TKO .204)
705becd88bba50581a8a8b5b7f44be28.jpg

I am shooting a Mathews Traverse set at 51 pounds with 30” draw. The 3 fletch arrow AAE Stealth Vane, 125 grain point with 50 grain brass insert. The 4 fletch arrow AAE Max Pro, 150 grain point with standard 17 grain HIT insert. Both fly great out to 60 yards with Iron Will 125 grain Solids and Valkyrie 150 grain Blood Eagle.

You should be fine with the 3 or 4 fletched with BH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
I am shooting 3 and 4 fletch on my Victory RIP Elites 350 spine (same diameter as the TKO .204)
705becd88bba50581a8a8b5b7f44be28.jpg

I am shooting a Mathews Traverse set at 51 pounds with 30” draw. The 3 fletch arrow AAE Stealth Vane, 125 grain point with 50 grain brass insert. The 4 fletch arrow AAE Max Pro, 150 grain point with standard 17 grain HIT insert. Both fly great out to 60 yards with Iron Will 125 grain Solids and Valkyrie 150 grain Blood Eagle.

You should be fine with the 3 or 4 fletched with BH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the detail. I have tested the Max Stealth and Max 23's in 4-fletch on my Axis 340's.....I guess I need to try some different configurations on my TKO's and see how they fly. Best, BG.

MattB

WKR
I don't think you will notice any measurable difference, so would not overthink it. Especially if the testing could adversely impact your shoulder. I had to shoot at ~50# when I hurt my shoulder and the lower velocity alone made my set-up more forgiving.

OP
B
I don't think you will notice any measurable difference, so would not overthink it. Especially if the testing could adversely impact your shoulder. I had to shoot at ~50# when I hurt my shoulder and the lower velocity alone made my set-up more forgiving.

I tend to tinker too much sometimes and while initially, (haven't bare shaft tuned yet) the blazers are flying great I always feel like I need more fletching to optimize fixed blade BH flight. Thanks for your feedback.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 4- 3” bohning Broncos right offset with evolution Hyde 125 grain and they fly great to 60 yds. I have not, but will practice farther very soon. Good luck!!!

OP
B
Sounds like 4 vane setups are definitely doable on the TKO's. Thanks for the feedback. Good luck to you.

Jclark225

FNG
Late to the party but can't hurt to give 2cents.

I shoot 70# and use the 300 TKO Elites @ 28" w/ the 95gr SS shock insert and a 100gr tip. I wanted to try a 4 fletch to see if there was a noticeable difference in stability. I tried 3" Flex Fletch and attached them in a 2deg right off-set.

I don't know if it was just improved skill from the continuous practicing while testing but my groups outside 60yd tightened up quite a bit. Anything below 40 I couldn't tell. I like the 1.25" QAD exodus broadheads and noticed even more improvement shooting them with the new fletching configuration. That said there was also a VERY noticeable difference in drift while shooting with crosswinds. Also, I had a lot of durability issues with the Flex Fletch.

I'm going to try going back to a 3 fletch with 3" Q2i Fusions but use the right helical clamp in addition to the offset on my Bitz instead of just the offset. I have to go low-profile due to cable clearance issues w/ my Hoyt Pro-Defiant Turbo otherwise I'd go with the 2" strong helical.