Vapor Barrier Socks / Sweaty Cold Feet

treillw

WKR
My wife, I mean, I have really sweaty feet while out hunting. They get swampy and really cold when the temp is low. Thinking some vapor barrier socks will be helpful. Grocery bags, bread bags etc... But who makes some good ones if you want to purchase some. Rab is all I'm really seeing. My feet are pretty small - women's size 6 🤔

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Wrench

WKR
Have you tried antiperspirant on your feet? Women's unscented roll on will do wonders.

My luck with goretex socks was not good. I'd try a poly type liner sock and a quality mountaineering sock like a thorlo.

With this suggestion you get a moisture reduction from the antiperspirant, moisture migration with the liner sock snd and sock that will tolerate quite a bit of moisture.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Boots are Crispi (Old verson of Skarvens) Insulated, Crispi Skarven Uninsulated, and Kenetrek Insulated.

The Crispis are her favorite. I believe the Kenetrek are much swampier.

What do you suggest if ditching the goretex?

*zap*

WKR
Non gortex....gortex makes your feet sweat and is heavy, I only wear gortex boots if it is raining heavy. Non gortex and on multi day hikes bring a pair of gortex socks.

Insulated boots are just for sitting stationary not for walking because they make your feet sweat and get cold.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I had that problem a lot when I was younger, I always wore thick wool socks but then I tried just a thin pair of merino wool socks and no more clammy feet, it didn’t matter if it was insulated or uninsulated, goretex or non goretex boots I always had clammy feet. If one pair isn’t enough then I’ll use 2 pairs of thin merino’s.

I hunt on the wet side of Washington so my feet are always wet it seems. Similar problem to yours but different. This year I got sealskin socks which are basically neoprene. I thought it might be horrible but anything is worth a shot to try have dry feet. I put a liner sock underneath and it works awesome. Feet stay warm even if they get wet. Ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just started using a sock liner after seeing a piece Gritty did about them. I honestly don't know how it will work in the long run here, but so far I am actually impressed with how my feet are not soaked. Who knows what a good couple of days will yield though. I bought mine off of Amazon. I feel like they were called Fox River, or something like that.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt on the wet side of Washington so my feet are always wet it seems. Similar problem to yours but different. This year I got sealskin socks which are basically neoprene. I thought it might be horrible but anything is worth a shot to try have dry feet. I put a liner sock underneath and it works awesome. Feet stay warm even if they get wet. Ymmv
I do the same, wearing a very thin SmartWool liner sock under Sealskins socks for wet weather, or a thick (but low density) wool sock for warm weather. I also sprinkle my feet with gold bond powder which helps keep reduce sweating and chafing. My feet stay reasonably dry in hot or cold weather despite their ability to sweat even when cold. I'd love to use boots without Goretex liners for improved breathability, but that's asking for wet and unhappy feet where I hike.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I just started using a sock liner after seeing a piece Gritty did about them. I honestly don't know how it will work in the long run here, but so far I am actually impressed with how my feet are not soaked. Who knows what a good couple of days will yield though. I bought mine off of Amazon. I feel like they were called Fox River, or something like that.
Would you be able to direct me to the Gritty video you're referring to?

Thanks.

tdot

WKR
Certain-Dri roll on + a liner sock + a wool sock for the conditions.

Certain Dri is a roll-on anti perspirant, it's crazy stuff, i use it on week long hunts and barely sweat towards the middle of the trip. It must be applied the night before.

I prefer wool liner socks for their feel, but a synthetic sock will move more persperation, so I typically use a synthetic.

I use wool socks in varying thicknesses for insulation.

I personally hate Goretex liners. When new, the water can be trapped between the liner and the boot exterior, rendering the liner unable to breath. It gets worse as the liner ages and becomes clogged with sweat and grime. It essentially becomes a plastic bag.

Properly cared for leather IMO is superior. Scarpa uses a liner called Outdry or Hdry, which I find works even better.

Insulation is very person/condition dependent but generally is too hot if hiking unless it us incredibly cold. Nice while sitting though.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
So you guys are just using boots without gore tex for winter hunting? I can see not needing it then. But if there is any moisture or melting snow, that sounds like a recipe for disaster (unless another worthy waterproofing is utilized).

What boots do you like with no goretex?

Would you be able to direct me to the Gritty video you're referring to?

Thanks.
I don't really know where else to point you to other than his YouTube channel. There was a quick little video that he had on there (in August) regarding sock liners. It should still be up on the channel to access.

renagde

WKR
I always have problem with sweaty feet. My hunting boots are Lowa (forget the model) with Gortex so they usually get pretty swampy. I started using injinji wool liner toe socks with a wool Darn Tough sock over top. Now I never have problems feeling like I have wet feet and I never get blisters or hot spots anymore.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I always have problem with sweaty feet. My hunting boots are Lowa (forget the model) with Gortex so they usually get pretty swampy. I started using injinji wool liner toe socks with a wool Darn Tough sock over top. Now I never have problems feeling like I have wet feet and I never get blisters or hot spots anymore.
Toe socks sound terrible haha.

I keep reading that antiperspirant works like a charm but haven't personally tried it.
There are some merino sock liners out there to.

I do alot of shed hunting and thats the season I have the most issues. Melty wet snow.

Man as much as it is absolutely terrible and I excruciatingly hate it.
I just pack extra socks and stop mid day.

Also if you're truck camping.
Peet makes a propane boot dryer. It basically just a pilot light and drys out sweat really well.

I also never run the truck heater on my feet on the way out to hunt. That just seems to get the sweat started for the day.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do the same, wearing a very thin SmartWool liner sock under Sealskins socks for wet weather, or a thick (but low density) wool sock for warm weather. I also sprinkle my feet with gold bond powder which helps keep reduce sweating and chafing. My feet stay reasonably dry in hot or cold weather despite their ability to sweat even when cold. I'd love to use boots without Goretex liners for improved breathability, but that's asking for wet and unhappy feet where I hike.

The seal skin socks are interesting, but I've spent a lot of time in wetsuits and they sound terrible haha. She's going to give a pair a try.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
Sealskinz aren't as dense as neoprene and have fabric on either side of the waterproof liner (Goretex-ish material) and they also stretch reasonably. I also have a pair of Showers Pass socks which function the same as the Sealskinz. I should note that all of my hiking is generally at temperatures of 30-65F, and I suspect that waterproof socks would be unbearably hot and clammy above 75F, at least for my feet.

I think that a snug fit is important with waterproof, lined socks to avoid bunching. A friend of mine has serious bunching issues with his socks and finds them unbearable, I suspect that they are too loose on his feet.

renagde

WKR
Toe socks sound terrible haha.
Yeah, I had my doubts as well. I got the recommendation from my cousin who used them hiking the PCT. I wore them 10 days straight without taking them off. I would take off my Darn Tough socks in the evening but slept in my toe socks. The odor blocking properties of wool is not over rated.

rideold

WKR
I just bring extra socks and change them out when my feet start getting cold. I've tried everything and that seems to be the only really decent solution. I'd love to find a pair of non-gore-tex/waterproof breathable lined hunting boots. Who makes them? I sure miss just basic leather boots with good boot grease on them. Seems growing up I never had boots that leaked and that was before gore-tex was put in boots :)