Vapor Locked on Bino Decision

willsyb

FNG
The majority of my glassing is non-hunting, but still wildlife (Alaska, Yellowstone, national parks etc.). If I'm hunting, it's only the trees in Texas.

I've been getting by with the Bushnell Legend M's 10x42 for the past 5 or so years, and have been very pleased. But, I am ready punch up on bino's. Recently bought some Ziess pocket 8x25 Terra ED as well, and can notice the better quality glass. So here is where I stand:

- Would like to shave a little weight for travel and hiking, so looking at a 10x32 variety (unless you tell me why I shouldn't)
- Budget is ideally $1k or under

What I'm considering (currently available or IF I can pick up used in the Classifieds for less):

-Zeiss Conquest 10x32 $780 demo
-Swaro CL 10x30 ~$900 used
-Maven B.3 10x30 $575 new
-Leica Trinovid HD 10x32 $949 new

If I'm really pushing my budget, but wondering if it would be worth it:

-Zeiss Victory SF 10x32 $1,600 demo

Leaning towards the Maven based on price point and what I've read here on performance. Plus, if I can find some in the classifieds, I optimally could buy two pair, and keep the wife happy.

I know this has been discussed before, and I've tried to find the relevant threads, but this is based on what is currently available, or what seems to be regular options in the classifieds.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

TaperPin

WKR
Sounds like there’s not a bad choice either way you go! There are bound to be more used gear up for sale as the hunting seasons end and bills have to get paid.

You might even look at some 12x binocs - they are not bad to hold and wide open country gets a little closer. 🙂

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’ve looked through a few 10x30(32) models now. Including high end Zeiss SF. This was field testing too. Not in store.

I didn’t care for the blackouts. Not saying all will have them. But that zoom and objective combo comes at a bit if a risk that I don’t think the 8x30(32) have. Just something to consider.

I really like my B3 8x30 for what you describe in a RYO harness. It’s my go to hiking pair.

Exit pupil closer to 4 would be my advice

Last edited:

Sled

WKR
Of those binos I'd stick with the b3 for the cost and function. If you want more zoom then pay more and get a larger objective.

Agross

WKR
I tried the 10x30’s and didn’t care for them. Got rid of them and got the 8x30 b3’s. Don’t see myself getting rid of these. Great little binos.

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
Although it is a "sales job" you should seriously look at my Tract 8x42's in the classifieds.

I've owned 4 of the 5 binos you listed and can tell you these hang with them easily.

craigrh13

FNG
B.3 8x30’s.I absolutely loved those suckers. I have a pair of B1.2 8x42’s that I am thinking long and hard about selling and just going with the B.3 8x30’s.

TX_Diver

WKR
There is a pair of Kowa Genesis Prominar 10.5x44s in the classifieds right now for $750. If you could buy them so that I can stop considering selling my SLCs and going back to them that'd be great.

ONLY reason I haven't gone back to them is the SLCs are a bit smaller/lighter which I prefer for hunting. To me the glass is comparable and the ergonomics on the Kowas are still great, they're just a bit bigger.

Edit - Just saw you're looking for 30mm so disregard I guess unless you find a pair of their 8x binos.

OP
W

willsyb

FNG
Thanks for the input everyone! Looks like I might be better served with a little less power (8x), if going with a 30/32 objective.

Weldor

WKR
I'm with the buy once cry once crowd. I've owned Leica, Zeiss and Swaro's. No compliants about any of them. Quality glass in all.

Maven 8x30 B3 are lightweight, compact and shockingly good optically. For the price, it's no brainer. You gotta pay a lot more for a little boost in performance. My main glass is Swaro EL 8x32, and the Maven's are much closer than they should be. For handheld use in all but the most specialized circumstances, 8X trumps 10X — every single time. Good luck on the decision!