Vaportrail gen 7 vs trophy taker smack down pro

Roksliders

Starting the yearly winter tinkering I have found myself doing each year. This year a limb driven rest is on the table,

Top priorities are 1. Quality of build/reliability. 2. Ease of tuning for broadheads. 3. Fit with a tightspot and black gold ascent slider.

Hopefully some of you with experience with these rests can chime in.

Bump79

WKR
Trophy Taker has gone downhill big time in recent years. I'd go a different route. I've had great luck with my QAD MXT over the last 2 years and have heard great things about the Gen 7 and more so Hamskea.

TheTone

WKR
Agree with previous post , a current trophy taker isn’t close to the original product. Conglomerate ruined a quality company

MattB

WKR
My vote would be Hamskea.

I have had 2 friends have hunts ruined this year due to QAD's not functioning correctly, would take that brand right off the table.

Im still shooting trophy taker, got two for a good deal a few years back. I like the wide whale tail, but ive got issues with it creeping up, like the string is slipping or something. If i was going to replace it today, I would go with a hamskea, ive got a buddy that shoots one and it seems legit.

My vote would be Hamskea.

I have had 2 friends have hunts ruined this year due to QAD's not functioning correctly, would take that brand right off the table.

Curious what the issues and conditions were with the failures?

Pretty frigid and launcher not dropping fast enough?

MattB

WKR
Curious what the issues and conditions were with the failures?

Pretty frigid and launcher not dropping fast enough?
In both instances the launcher stopped dropping consistently. One missed a giant tule elk twice due to his launcher remaining up at the shot. He was sick. Missing hurts, but it hurts even more when the hunt is $20K. If memory serves, the rests were 3-5 years old and had worked reliably up to the point they didn't.

In both instances the launcher stopped dropping consistently. One missed a giant tule elk twice due to his launcher remaining up at the shot. He was sick. Missing hurts, but it hurts even more when the hunt is $20K. If memory serves, the rests were 3-5 years old and had worked reliably up to the point they didn't.

I have heard of them slowing down in the cold, causing fletching clearance. I have put a pile of shots thru them with no issues, along with several others. I think too much cord tension damages them, but there's enough moving there that problems certainly can and do arise.

I just tend to shoot them better than any other drop away I have tried, along with a bunch of different launchers on them.

My favorite is a simple blade rest, but I'm not using it for hunting.

I could have mine fail tonight as well.

CB4

WKR
Hamskea. Their new one would be your best bet.

Its more about durability and quality than tuneability for me.

I would stay away from QAD as well. Mine worked great until it got stuck up in frigid temps.

MattB

WKR
I have heard of them slowing down in the cold, causing fletching clearance. I have put a pile of shots thru them with no issues, along with several others. I think too much cord tension damages them, but there's enough moving there that problems certainly can and do arise.

I just tend to shoot them better than any other drop away I have tried, along with a bunch of different launchers on them.

My favorite is a simple blade rest, but I'm not using it for hunting.

I could have mine fail tonight as well.
My one buddy’s failed in August, so not a cold weather issue. Likely a wear or perhaps a dirt/grit issue.

kda082

WKR
I’m still using the original limbdriver pro and extremely happy with it. Son uses the gen 7 and it’s great also. Hell I loved my old trophy taker pronghorn.