Varmint Coyote Caliber (22-250 or 223)

Samson7x

WKR
The 204 and 35gr Berger makes for a pretty good combo in a factory gun with a 12tw barrel but unless you already have some 204 Brass finding some isn't very easy and finding 204 loaded ammo is nearly impossible.

I've experienced the same with 6.5PRC. Is that just the environment we are in now or has that always been the case?

What caliber would you suggest?

Sorry for the thread derail OP, if you would like me to start a different thread just LMK.

B23

WKR
With regard to ammo or even component availability the 223 is your best bet but I've been seeing more and more 22-250 stuff becoming available as of late too.

Honing your coyote hunting skills with a 223 to start then deciding if you want something with more range and thump later isn't a bad idea.

If you reload finding components for a 223 or 22-250 isn't to difficult but if you don't then things definitely favor a 223.

OP
T

turley

Lil-Rokslider
"Sorry for the thread derail OP, if you would like me to start a different thread just LMK."

@Samson7x. No worries whatsoever. I had narrowed it down to the .223 & 22-250 but am by no means married to either one and other caliber suggestions have definitely peaked my interest.
Cheers :)

Samson7x

WKR
With regard to ammo or even component availability the 223 is your best bet but I've been seeing more and more 22-250 stuff becoming available as of late too.

Honing your coyote hunting skills with a 223 to start then deciding if you want something with more range and thump later isn't a bad idea.

If you reload finding components for a 223 or 22-250 isn't to difficult but if you don't then things definitely favor a 223.

I do reload, but this would be a limited use rifle for me so if there are factory options I'd likely go that route. What else should I be looking at, if you don't recommend 204, with hide preservation as a priority.

B23

WKR
I do reload, but this would be a limited use rifle for me so if there are factory options I'd likely go that route. What else should I be looking at, if you don't recommend 204, with hide preservation as a priority.
If you reload and you want something in the 20 caliber class, like a 204 but with MUCH better brass, have a 20 Practical aka 20-223 built. It's a straight neck down from a 223 so you can even use Lapua brass if you want.

They work well in both bolt guns or AR's. Use an 11tw barrel and you'll have no trouble running the 40 grainers.

I have a 20-222 that is pure sweetness to shoot. I'm using H322 and Berger 40's that are launching at 3650. A 20 Practical would be about +100 over that.

h2so4

WKR
If you run any other AR or 5.56 platforms, I'll suggest the 77gr OTM Mk262 Mod-1 load. That would be a well rounded option and likely plenty of energy for the application.

JjamesIII

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. As I live in California where monolithic / copper is mandated it seems that the .223 has more manufacturer offerings which is important to me as I do not hand load. As much as I like the ballistics of the 22-250 it seems as though the .223 will be a better fit.
You’re in California and you don’t hand load- sorry, you’re screwed 😜. Definitely stick to the .223 due to those limitations, or more sensibly-move. Lol

I run 55 gr Barnes in my coyote gun. It’s a cheap ass Savage Axis II with a low budget scope. It’s crazy accurate despite the budget friendly approach.

Only complaint is it hits 1800 fps at 350 yards. Haven’t tried other ammo as the Barnes works well enough. If a coyote holds up at 500 yards, it’s all good. My life won’t end

OP
T

turley

Lil-Rokslider
You’re in California and you don’t hand load- sorry, you’re screwed 😜. Definitely stick to the .223 due to those limitations, or more sensibly-move. Lol
Funny you should say that as I’ll be relocating to NC in late summer 🙂

The 204 and 35gr Berger makes for a pretty good combo in a factory gun with a 12tw barrel but unless you already have some 204 Brass finding some isn't very easy and finding 204 loaded ammo is nearly impossible.
Fiocchi sells 50 count boxes in 40gr and 35 gr. The prices are good and the quality is better. That is what I shoot and where I get my reloading brass. 1/4” accuracy and no issues in 5 years.