Varmints chewing vehicle wiring

BBob

WKR
I haven’t had to deal with pack rats for a long time but this is how we used to keep them away for the most part. Open the hood and hang a light over the engine compartment. They don’t like the light or open spaces. You have to be diligent about doing it everyday though, miss one and it’s amazing how quickly they’d get you. I’ve seen the electronic sound deterrents but have no idea if they work or not.

TripleJ

WKR
Leaving the hood open seems to work pretty well, at least for pack rats.

zacattack

WKR
I’ve seen it a bunch of times, mice and rats chewing vehicle wiring. Do you guys living on farms do anything special to prevent this?

My client that lives on a nice piece of property surrounded by woods had the wiring in his vintage Ferrari destroyed ( garaged)

My partner parked his F150 for a week while dirtbiking and mice wrecked the wire harness. Lots of examples of this though I have never had it happen…..

Any thoughts?

I think some of the wiring insulation is made from soybeans.

gelton

WKR
Hood open and an aluminum pan full of diesel under the truck is what we used at our deer lease in S Texas this works best if you are gone for long period of time.

I also use a spray made out of some type of pepper to just spray down all the wiring when I am around the house.

bobr1

WKR
If it's inside or garaged long term use moth balls around and under and mouse/rat traps set next to tires.

Ten Bears

WKR
It’s happen to me and it wasn’t even stored for long. I use peppermint oil and douse the wires. It’s worked so far.

I have dumped ghost pepper in my trash cans at the office. Detroit rats wouldn’t even mess with it.

MattB

WKR
If it's inside or garaged long term use moth balls around and under and mouse/rat traps set next to tires.
I had a rat living under our dog house recently. I put half a bag of mothballs underneath it (you could smell the from 20 feet away) and the rat was back underneath there the next day. And the day after that. And the day after that....

bobr1

WKR
I had a rat living under our dog house recently. I put half a bag of mothballs underneath it (you could smell the from 20 feet away) and the rat was back underneath there the next day. And the day after that. And the day after that....
Interesting. I've been doing it for years. Usually keeps them away but again I put traps up next to the tires as well and occasionally trap them but they never get into the engine bay or other parts of the car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Get some cab fresh at the hardware store use in your garage or tent when camping has worked great for me!
Fresh Cab has worked well for me. Seemed like voodoo herbal bullsH** when heard about it but it worked.

*zap*

WKR
yes, the wiring insulation was made from soybeans on certain brand vehicles....vermin love it.

Last edited:

Azone

WKR
PCQ will help put a dent in things most of the time around your property. It definitely thinned out the ground squirrels I was having trouble with.

SouthPaw

WKR
It's happened to me twice at family property in central coastal CA. Shredded the fog light and horn harness on my car and the MAF sensor on my truck.

I now leave the hood open if stored outside for more than a day. We've found the electronic "siren" deterrents to work great in the garage. But it is certainly obnoxious.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk