Varmints chewing vehicle wiring

brocksw

WKR
Toyota Tundras are notorius for having the knock sensor harness being chewed through. Happened to me in 2019 out elk hunting. I got lucky and they didn't chew completely through the wire, but they made a mess and I had to replace them. Knock sensor wires are right up next to the engine and they use a soy based wire covering. Toyota said they see it all the time. I've talked to a few rodent exterminators and I was told the most effective way to help stop it is a 5 gallon bucket of water with a rod through the top and peanut butter on it right near my truck.

bofishil

FNG
I had squirrels chew my wiring on my utility trailer when I hit my brakes it blew a fuse and would not let me but my truck in drive. Didn't find this out until it was towed to a garage. Did the same thing the next time I used the trailer that's when I investigated and found out what was going on.

A friend had squirrel chew the main harness in half on his wife's jeep. A month later she drove to town and pulled into a repair garage because she heard a noise under the hood. They found a mad squirrel.

Jc2020

FNG
We have had problems with pack rats chewing wires on vehicles especially in the winter best thing I found was to leave the hood open I’ve used the rodent repellents you can buy buy had to keep replacing them they don’t seem to last to long