Vasque Breeze LT REVIEW

So-- inadvertent review on these boots. I left for Colorado on 9/12 and snuck out of my house quiet as a mouse so as not to disturb the 8 month old... I snuck out a little too well and left my Salomon 4d GTX and Meindl Denali's sitting on my front step. I realized my mistake as I was passing through Amarillo. A quick search showed no retailers with Salomon's between Amarillo and my elk/deer unit in CO.

I stopped as the Red Wings in Amarillo to see what they had and was promptly introduced to the Vasque Breeze line up. They had two models- a stiffer leather version ( the Breeze II, I think?) and a synthetic, Gore-Tex version that was very lightweight and comfortable known as the Vasque Breeze LT.

Very impressed with the Breeze LT!! Lightweight, quality lacing system that tightened down nicely without pinch points. The footbeds were solid with a nicely reinforced arch that provided great support. The sole was Vibram but appeared a bit sparse but after 80 miles I have zero issues with traction or performance of the sole. The 'Litebase' sole was a little bit squishy feeling in the store and I had some trepidation about how it would perform under a heavy load on the trail (hopefully for a packout or three). But- I knew I needed a boot that would require little to NO break-in because we were launching right into hunting in less than 16 hours. The toe box and width were comfortable- I had plenty of room for midweight smartwool socks but didn't feel like my feet were swimming in them either.

I would compare them to the lighterweight Salomon 3d GTX mids moreso than the 4d GTX but they fill the same role as a lightweight, mid price, gore tex hiker for backcounty hunting. They retail right around $170 which is cheaper than retail on the Salomons.

Over the next 5 days I put nearly 80 miles on these boots, mostly on steep climbs or declines from 10,300-12,500 feet with a 45lb pack. Two packouts (muley buck and cow elk) put the load limit to the test and there was plenty of side hilling and stream crossing.

Despite my worries about the squishiness in the midsole they held up great under load, not as stiff or quite as much ankle support as the 4D GTX but a lighter boot overall. The goretex performed perfectly- no wet feet, which is an issue I've had after putting many miles on my Salomons. I did not get a single blister but I did have some hot spots forming after significant side hill action-- I was able to dry my feet, new socks and retighten my laces to prevent further issues. Overall I had very little foot fatigue from these boots and was pleased that they performed so well right out of the box.

Negative- the only real issue I could complain about would be the durability of the squishy midsole. The edges of the exposed midsole are soft and prone more to wear and abrasion. I noticed a bit of wear on mine after the hunt-- definitely more aesthetic than performance related. Nothing came unglued or unlaminated and the vibram sole is good as new.

OVERALL: I would recommend these boots for someone looking for an alternative to the Salomons but looking to stay lightweight, inexpensive and knowing they will replace these boots after 1-3 seasons depending on how hard you hunting in them. Salomons are tried and true to me but I'm very excited about the performance out of these boots and given the weight and footbed they will have a spot in my rotation for sure!!

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the review. I just got back from New Mexico. I have been a big supporter of the the 4d’s but I have to find something different. They leaked bad this year. (This was the second year in them. They seem to only be good for one season) I spent a lot of time in my insulated Nevada’s due to the rain. Not ideal, but they were great.