Vegan Plus

zog

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter moved to a new - I guess the word is trendy - neighborhood. It's closer to me so I'm lucky and can join for dinner frequently when I'm not gone working. She found a vegan restaurant just around the corner and discovered the great dishes they offer.

She has learned to cook these vegan recipes mostly from ordering out and mocking how they do it. I'm actually impressed with the new tastes. New uses of things like mushrooms, eggplant, black beans, seeds, hummus, new types of herbs, and of course other veggies. Mostly stuff I've always eaten, but prepared in clever new ways - they've actually got something going there. Even the tofu and miso can be great if done right.

My daughter and I now either order or cook vegan just about every time I join her. It goes on the plate next to elk backstrap or antelope tenderloin (her two favorites). Or with brats, steak or fish when I don't bring wild meat. Vegan cooking is especially good when you add shredded pork or chicken.

She calls it "Vegan +" . . . Vegan plus meat. Worth a try!

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I once worked with a vegan. We went into a Carls Jr. for lunch and he ordered a Carls jr, without the Jr. He was very healthy until he die at the age of thirty two from cirrhosis of the liver. Besides being a vegan he was an alcoholic. Never did figure that one out.

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy vegan and vegetarian food and will order it if available sometimes. Only downside is those food places are pretty pricey, at least around here.

OP
zog

zog

Lil-Rokslider
The stupid part about vegan is the fake meats they try to make. None of them are any good. I just stick with the actual veggie dishes. If they think eating meat is so wrong I don't see why they try to imitate it.

Last edited:

mlgc20

WKR
The stupid part about vegan is the fake meats they try to make. None of them are any good. I just stick with the actual veggie dishes. If they think eating meat is so wrong I don't see why they try to imitate it.
This is the truth. There are tons of great vegan and vegetarian dishes. But, they have not even come close to being able to replicate bacon, ground beef, or any other kind of meat. I eat black bean burgers several times a week for lunch. Not because they are “meatless”. They are just good food. The fake burgers trying to replicate meat couldn’t be more disgusting.

Reactions: zog

ODB

WKR

Yes - a fair criticism of veganism. To say thay veganism is superior, but then for it to require an entire scientific/chemical/production industry to produce a simulacrum of meat is intellectually vapid... just eat the goddam broccoli and shut up...

BuzzH

WKR
Never did understand why people get upset or even concerned with what others choose to dine on...

I could care less if someone wants to eat tree bark and dandelions...or a greasy, fatty steak.

None of my business.

I agree with the OP's assessment.

OP
zog

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Yes - a fair criticism of veganism. To say thay veganism is superior, but then for it to require an entire scientific/chemical/production industry to produce a simulacrum of meat is intellectually vapid... just eat the goddam broccoli and shut up...
Vegan plus two new bonus words! . . . don't even have to look them up, easy to get from your context. I already knew goddam, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ODB
Never did understand why people get upset or even concerned with what others choose to dine on...

I could care less if someone wants to eat tree bark and dandelions...or a greasy, fatty steak.

None of my business.

It's because those people are bored to death and have nothing better to do.

bsnedeker

WKR
There is already a term for what you are describing. It is called "food".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: zog

CoStick

WKR

None of my business.

People are easily triggered these days.

ODB

WKR
I don't understand why they try to imitate meat either since they are so against it.

View attachment 307969

Or wear faux fur or leather... I was in a college class once and a fellow student said that she believed animals should not be used for food or what have you. SHe had on leather shoes and a huge leather bag. I said, "So you don't want to eat animals, but you don't seem to have a problem using them to maintain your fashion sensibilities" and pointed to her shoes and bag. She was not happy...