Vehicle for hunting Idaho

mdkelley

FNG
A friend and I purchased Idaho OTC Elk tags in the beaverhead elk unit for this fall. I have not been in that area yet and am wondering if a full size extra cab long bed diesel truck would be able to navigate the roads in that unit, or if we would have difficulty driving around. I am selling my Tacoma and buying a full size (so wife and I can run a slide in camper) and am wondering if the new truck will have issues getting around in Beaverhead in the mountains. Last year I hunted Boise NF on a Suzuki 650 so there were no issues getting around. Most of the roads I was on would have been fine for a fullsize, maybe some corners would have been 3 point turns but it would have been doable. Just wondering if we should tow a smaller vehicle out with us, take something other than an oversized truck out this fall or plan on doing a lot of walking. We will be truck camping and planning on doing a lot of road/truck based scouting since it is our first year. I just don't want to get out there and find out we can't really go on any of the dirt roads or mountain roads because the turning radius is too big to make the corners or turn around.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
Or, should we tow an ATV and my Dual Sport bike out? I haven't read up on whether Beaverhead is a decent area for ATVs or not...

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
I live in the Bitterroot Valley and I have a salmon zone elk tag this year. From what I’ve seen, a full size could be tight on some of the roads. I drive a 4runner and have gotten around great so far. I did see some guys in f250s with 20 foot trailers on some roads that I thought were kinda tight though. Obviously a full size can work but I’d make sure you have a chainsaw. Saw trees down that were cut barely wide enough for a four wheeler to get through which would be a problem in a full size.

Mtnboy

WKR
Those roads were likely built for logging trucks or mining operations. I think your little ol' pick-up will be just fine.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I just did the opposite as you. Sold a full sized truck and got a Tacoma. Was up there last weekend with a Ford Expedition though. Glad my buddy didn't mind the "rocky mountain pin striping". Also glad he had 4-low and e-rated tires!!! I'll be going up there to help a him and another buddy during archery. Taking my Tacoma but will have a quad in the back for getting around if needed.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be more concerned with your tires than the size of your vehicle. I'll only run e-rated (formerly 10 ply) tires when I'm on logging or forest service roads in Idaho. The shale and granite out there is no joke. Here's a good thread on it.

FLAK

WKR
I'm contemplating a trip to NM this winter and will be in my Ram Mega Cab Longbed 2500 diesel, with a Honda Recon in the bed. Thats the plan anyway.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
Thanks guys this helps. I will definitely bring a saw. May throw the bike and quad in if there is room but we don't mind walking a bit. Just didn't want to be confined to main/paved roads only. If guys haul campers down those roads I won't have any issues with having to back out for miles due to no turn arounds or tight trails.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I only have c rated Duratracs on my Tacoma but nice Boghorns on my Grizzly. Hope it works out for me in Idaho.

I just bought a new trail boss and decided that I like it new. Lol. I picked up an Xterra and turning into my hunting/overland vehicle. The thing is built for the off road, has a v6 and aftermarket is strong for it. I hope to get it decked out before fall. I had my old 2500 crew duramax in some places in Colorado that I was glad I had a chainsaw. Good luck.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
bought a 2004 2500 crew cab long box duramax last weekend. Dealer is going to deliver it once the service is done (he was having an oil change and brakes done but called today and said it threw a check engine light and needs a turbo... he is fixing on his dime but I have to wait longer now). No bike or quad, hunting partner says he has a new pair of boots and doesn't want to take the bikes. I told him hiking a couple miles in the mountains is nothing like hiking a few miles here in Michigan. Maybe after this trip he will want ATVs next year.29831ed6d2664c8ab9b71f0e75c489dc.jpg