Velocity testing, Bodnik Slick Stick

I've got a fairly long draw length, around 32". Along the way I've shared some chronographed velocity numbers that are pretty fast. Some have suggested to me that maybe my chrono is off. It got me thinking, and I decided to run some velocity numbers at different draw lengths.

Using a 60", 50# @ 28" Bodnik Slikc Stick, and a 510 grain arrow, I tested velocity at 26", 28", 30", and 32". Here are the numbers, and a little vid for anyone interested.

26" draw - 155 fps
28" draw - 169 fps
30" draw - 181 fps
32" draw - 199 fps

My takeaway is that my numbers are fairly accurate. Speeds at the shorter draw lengths seem pretty consistent with info I have seen along the way.

Shane

Don't tell your wife, but length does matter!

I have a Black Widow PMA 64" that will shoot a 12.9 gpp arrow 175 fps at my 32" draw. In more understandable numbers, that's a 43@32" recurve shooting a 550 grain arrow 175 fps. I've since tuned down to a 475 grain arrow, but haven't tried it in the chronograph yet. I had to change brace height while I was at it, so I'm not sure what the velocity is now.

OP
M
Don't tell your wife, but length does matter!

I have a Black Widow PMA 64" that will shoot a 12.9 gpp arrow 175 fps at my 32" draw. In more understandable numbers, that's a 43@32" recurve shooting a 550 grain arrow 175 fps. I've since tuned down to a 475 grain arrow, but haven't tried it in the chronograph yet. I had to change brace height while I was at it, so I'm not sure what the velocity is now.

Very similar to my 35# at 28" Slick Stick. At my DL It sends 576gr arrows at 170 fps.

oldgoat

WKR
Only drawback to a long draw is finding arrows long enough that fit the specs you want to end up with. That and the used bow market is filled with bows that end up being too heavy in draw weight at your draw length. But that's getting better as guys are figuring out they don't need such high draw weights if they actually can get to full draw.

Only drawback to a long draw is finding arrows long enough that fit the specs you want to end up with. That and the used bow market is filled with bows that end up being too heavy in draw weight at your draw length. But that's getting better as guys are figuring out they don't need such high draw weights if they actually can get to full draw.
Problem is the other way in England.
30# up to 45# at 28" tops.

Put the bow on a draw board and see what pounds it's pulling at each of those draw lengths. Most estimates say 3# per inch but bows vary a lot.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk