Velvet antler preservation

Does anyone have any experience using Velvalok by Velvet antler technologies for preserving velvet antlers? Saw it posted as an option on go hunt vs the traditional injection techniques.

Here is a link to their site for those not familiar with the product: https://www.velvetantlertechnologies.com/product-page/velvalok-velvet-antler-preservative

Anyways, I am heading to Colorado next week on a muley hunt and picked up both velvalok and antler in velvet tan as options for preservation but wanted to hear from someone first hand who has used Velvalok. I was thinking of doing both, inject with antler in velvet and then spray with Velvalok, but not sure if that’s a good idea?

Last edited:

Badseed

WKR
I am curious about this because I have velvet racks that are 10 years old hanging inside my barn and they look the same as they did on the buck without doing anything to them. However, I was fortunate enough to get a mountable buck last year that severely damaged his velvet when he hit a tree. I ended up having the rack skinned and shipped off to get it flocked to recreate the velvet and make it last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I am curious about this because I have velvet racks that are 10 years old hanging inside my barn and they look the same as they did on the buck without doing anything to them. However, I was fortunate enough to get a mountable buck last year that severely damaged his velvet when he hit a tree. I ended up having the rack skinned and shipped off to get it flocked to recreate the velvet and make it last forever.

How did you skin it?

Badseed

WKR
For my buck the horns were close to solid under the velvet but he hadn’t scraped the velvet off yet. The taxidermist said he pressure washes or peels off the velvet before sending it out for flocking. I saw some examples in his showroom and it looks damn close to real. My dad has racks that are 20 years old nailed up in his barn and they look fine, no rot or obvious deterioration but I have heard horror stories from other guys whose velvet rotted off.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Heading out for a mule deer hunt soon as well, I just talked to my taxidermist about this a couple days ago. He said not to worry about trying to preserve it. By this time of year, the velvet is already losing its blood supply and won't be completely adhered to the antler, whether its actually actively shedding off or not. And if you preserve what's there, it's highly likely it'll separate down the road and look like crap. He's got a guy doing reproduction velvet that looks amazing - much better than some of the stuff you saw a few years ago. So IF I kill a buck, depending on what stage his antlers are in, I'd go that route if I want to have velvet.

My son shot a couple small bull caribou last week and is experimenting with trying to keep the velvet on for a DIY euro mount. He boiled the skull yesterday and used acetone to cure/set up the velvet on the antlers. He still needs to bleach the skull out with hydrogen peroxide. Time will tell if this process works, but if it does, it’s cheap and relatively easy to do.
4470cc5073725c5f99168c1069ca3279.jpg

53e6ae991921b80137e4bc82cef15ef0.jpg

K9popo

FNG
My taxidermist, High Country Horns is about the best you can get. He injects the antlers with formaldehyde and let’s them sit for two weeks before you can pick them up. Only charges $100 for the injection. As long as you do your part in preserving the velvet it can be saved without flocking. Any taxidermist doing world records is world class.

PhilipC

FNG
I’ve used formaldehyde with good success. Spoke with a taxidermist and he said that’s what he usually usueel. I injected as much as I could under the velvet then rubbed the velvet down with the formaldehyde

ktg

FNG
Got a rag-horn bull in velvet this year. Took to taxidermist and he dips them in methanol. Soaks for 2 days for deer and 5 days for elk. No smell.

IMO this is a gimmick. The blood under the velvet will rot and cause all kinds of problems.... Ed F

How can you form an opinion on something you have never used? This product was created over 15+ years ago. Lots of R+D went into creating it. For Bowhunters by a Bowhunter!

bowuntr

WKR
How can you form an opinion on something you have never used? This product was created over 15+ years ago. Lots of R+D went into creating it. For Bowhunters by a Bowhunter!

I'm a taxidermist. The preservation process isn't as simple as spraying on "alcohol and proprietary oils". Tell me this, since you are obviously affiliated with the company.... how does this product deal with the blood under the velvet, especially on early season bucks that aren't finished, with the tips balled up? If it were as easy as spraying a topical solution on the velvet, every taxidermist in the country would use it. The problem with this product is that the negative results won't be seen for several year when the problems with rot and bugs shows itself. Sorry... but I believe it's snake oil... Ed F

I'm a taxidermist. The preservation process isn't as simple as spraying on "alcohol and proprietary oils". Tell me this, since you are obviously affiliated with the company.... how does this product deal with the blood under the velvet, especially on early season bucks that aren't finished, with the tips balled up? If it were as easy as spraying a topical solution on the velvet, every taxidermist in the country would use it. The problem with this product is that the negative results won't be seen for several year when the problems with rot and bugs shows itself. Sorry... but I believe it's snake oil... Ed F

The third picture is what happens to the blood. If will run out the bases. The other 2 pictures are from a buck that was taken in early Nevada archery hunt. The antler was actually soft and bendable when he was killed. That was 15 years ago. The velvet is still perfect. Hey about you answer me a question or 2. What happens to the blood under the membrane of a buck when it is freeze dried? Oh let me answer that... It stays under the membrane forever. When an antler is injected what happens to the membrane between the veins? Oh, let me answer that. Nothing! There is no curing agent under that portion. At the current time there are hundreds of taxidermists across the US and Canada using it. There has been lots of trial and error designing this product to get it perfect. And waited lots of years to be sure that the velvet stayed perfect before introducing it to the world. All I am asking is that you don't voice your opinion on a product you know nothing about. I have never seen your taxidermy work but would never tell people to not use you. Why?? Because I don't know how good you work. Or if your taxidermy will keep for a lifetime. If you have any questions for me please ask for my phone number I would be glad to discuss anything.

Attachments

• 0914200533.jpg
    0914200533.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 0914200534a.jpg
    0914200534a.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20200914-061600~3.png
    Screenshot_20200914-061600~3.png
    827.2 KB · Views: 114

bowuntr

WKR
Whoa... why so angry? I'm allowed to have an opinion... which is based on your printed ingredients, being a taxidermist and my 34 years of being a bowhunter dealing with velvet antlers, even if I've never used it.

If I didn't care how my own velvet antlers looked years down the road I may use your product. When someone entrusts me with preserving a trophy of a lifetime I owe it to them to use methods that have proven preservation success. 20200913_174000.jpgGood luck with your sales. Ed F

Last edited:
Whoa... why so angry? I'm allowed to have an opinion... which is based on your printed ingredients, being a taxidermist and my 34 years of being a bowhunter dealing with velvet antlers, even if I've never used it.

If I didn't care how my own velvet antlers looked years down the road I may use your product. When someone entrusts me with preserving a trophy of a lifetime I owe it to them to use methods that have proven preservation success. View attachment 215402Good luck with your sales. Ed F
I am not angry. Just trying to make a point that we have created something new that works. This taxidermist did 27 mule deer bucks all of which cured in 3 days time.
Cured this 230 inch mule deer in 4 days. Velvet is pefect. Just hate to see people put down the product before they even know how it works. I wouldn't do that to anyone else's business.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200914-163019.png
    Screenshot_20200914-163019.png
    1 MB · Views: 106
  • 4189.jpeg
    4189.jpeg
    456.8 KB · Views: 109

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I ordered some. Should be here Thursday. I have a few questions if you don't mind. I shot the buck last Tuesday, I wasn't really prepared to kill a velvet buck this is my first. All I have done so far is skin the skull and put it in the freezer. When I receive the product should I let the skull and antlers thaw? Should I boil the skull and clean it before I apply the product? Just not sure how to proceed. I've done a few dozen euro mounts but never one with velvet antlers. Thanks

Well, I ordered some. Should be here Thursday. I have a few questions if you don't mind. I shot the buck last Tuesday, I wasn't really prepared to kill a velvet buck this is my first. All I have done so far is skin the skull and put it in the freezer. When I receive the product should I let the skull and antlers thaw? Should I boil the skull and clean it before I apply the product? Just not sure how to proceed. I've done a few dozen euro mounts but never one with velvet antlers. Thanks
Let it thaw for a few hours. Then protect the velvet with something such as saran wrap. Boil the head making sure not to submerse the velvet. As soon as possible remove the Saran wrap and apply the product. Keep the sprayer as close to the velvet as possible. Some taxidermist prefer to remove the antlers then reattach them using a dowel pin and epoxy. That way they can treat the velvet while working on the head.

Whtail101

FNG
Does anyone have any experience using Velvalok by Velvet antler technologies for preserving velvet antlers? Saw it posted as an option on go hunt vs the traditional injection techniques.

Here is a link to their site for those not familiar with the product: https://www.velvetantlertechnologies.com/product-page/velvalok-velvet-antler-preservative

Anyways, I am heading to Colorado next week on a muley hunt and picked up both velvalok and antler in velvet tan as options for preservation but wanted to hear from someone first hand who has used Velvalok. I was thinking of doing both, inject with antler in velvet and then spray with Velvalok, but not sure if that’s a good idea?
I didn’t do anything to mine in the field. My taxidermist freeze dried it when I got back. It’s been 10 years and it looks great.