Velvet antler preservation

Jimss

WKR
I haven't read the posts above but you may want to start a post on taxidermy. net website. Those guys REALLY know their stuff and are more than willing to share great info!

bowuntr

WKR
Just hate to see people put down the product before they even know how it works. I wouldn't do that to anyone else's business.

Are you trying to tell me that you are a better person? Or are you trying to shame me into keeping my mouth shut?

I don't think you're honest. I talk bad about the sales of heroin... never used it. I think Ferrari's are overpriced... I've never driven one. Welcome to America... it's called Capitalism. Someone produces a product for sale, another person has a want/need and believes the product is priced right for them, they buy it.

I'd hope that as a businessman you'd embrace skepticism/criticism. It's a great way to promote your product and get the word out. Pissing people off probably won't work as well.

Promoting your product on taxidermy.net is an excellent idea. I'd love to follow that thread and hear from the experts. Maybe my mind could be changed... or not. Good luck with your sales. Ed F

Are you trying to tell me that you are a better person? Or are you trying to shame me into keeping my mouth shut?

I don't think you're honest. I talk bad about the sales of heroin... never used it. I think Ferrari's are overpriced... I've never driven one. Welcome to America... it's called Capitalism. Someone produces a product for sale, another person has a want/need and believes the product is priced right for them, they buy it.

I'd hope that as a businessman you'd embrace skepticism/criticism. It's a great way to promote your product and get the word out. Pissing people off probably won't work as well.

Promoting your product on taxidermy.net is an excellent idea. I'd love to follow that thread and hear from the experts. Maybe my mind could be changed... or not. Good luck with your sales. Ed F
Thank you for your constructive Critsizm. I take it all in. Hopefully someday we can change your mind.
Thanks

OP
WILungbuster
Update on this. Shot a full velvet mule deer in Colorado in early-mid September and used only Velvalok on it in the field until I was able to get it back to Wisconsin to my taxidermist. He was impressed with how well it had worked and had never heard of it. He was still going to do his normal preservation practices to it but I think it did the job for my intended purpose.

Update on this. Shot a full velvet mule deer in Colorado in early-mid September and used only Velvalok on it in the field until I was able to get it back to Wisconsin to my taxidermist. He was impressed with how well it had worked and had never heard of it. He was still going to do his normal preservation practices to it but I think it did the job for my intended purpose.
Interesting. Good to hear. I have a hard time seeing how it works and replaces the blood under the velvet. But maybe it does

So, after almost a full year, it appears that the straight up acetone worked pretty well at reserving the velvet. Everything seems to be very tight on the antlers and it doesn’t smell or anything. So I’m saying it was a success.
694b0a953548eae3ec7b155e3d5b22d1.jpg

bed8bbc24aeedb74e043ca333f9c1543.jpg

48b493c87e8496ab66a3e268abf4e333.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
I just shot a Bull in full Velvet, and was turned on to VelvaLok by a buddy who used it a couple years ago with good results. This Bull had some points/kickers that were still pretty soft and pliable. It was treated only with VelvaLok and 3 days later everything is hard and there is zero smell.

I will report back in a few months but so far it seems to work to me.

I am curious about this because I have velvet racks that are 10 years old hanging inside my barn and they look the same as they did on the buck without doing anything to them. However, I was fortunate enough to get a mountable buck last year that severely damaged his velvet when he hit a tree. I ended up having the rack skinned and shipped off to get it flocked to recreate the velvet and make it last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a fork my boy killed last week and its like hard horned underneath like a stag im wandering if need to preserve it at all. I was just going to cover boil and bleach

That’s a great point. At the very least, it should in theory extend the timeline for getting the rack home and to your taxidermist.

MRosdahl

FNG
This is an old dead post....BUT, I was curious if anyone had any knowledge on how many elk racks you could treat with a bottle of Velva Lock? Obviously the size of the rack would come into play but let's say they're like 250-280" elk? Is one bottle enough for two elk? How far does a bottle go?

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
This is an old dead post....BUT, I was curious if anyone had any knowledge on how many elk racks you could treat with a bottle of Velva Lock? Obviously the size of the rack would come into play but let's say they're like 250-280" elk? Is one bottle enough for two elk? How far does a bottle go?
I’ve used Velvalok one time on a velvet mule deer. It worked great. Three years later, the velvet is still in perfect condition. I used over half of a 12 ounce spray bottle to treat one mule deer rack. It’s not a huge rack either, just a big fork buck.

IMG_7469.jpeg

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I used a whole bottle for one mule deer. You want it soaked down good. I would think 2 bottles to do an elk. I have done 3 euro mounts using velvetlock on bucks and has turned out great. The oldest is from 22 and it looks good still.