Velvet care

Gonz406

Lil-Rokslider
looking at options for velvet care. I've seen a few online, read some suggestions as well but today, I visited my local taxidermist. He mentioned using white gas as a sort of formaldehyde .. anyone familiar with that? Thanks

EastMT

WKR
looking at options for velvet care. I've seen a few online, read some suggestions as well but today, I visited my local taxidermist. He mentioned using white gas as a sort of formaldehyde .. anyone familiar with that? Thanks

My wife got a caribou last year and wanted to save the velvet, the amount the local taxi wanted was nuts so I decided to try a buddies method.

Supplies: Yellow bottle HEET, spray bottle, plastic to wrap, tape. Mask and gloves recommended or stay up wind

Sprayed the velvet everywhere, until it was running out the bottom. Then started at the top sprayed and wrapped in plastic as I went, making sure it was good and wet. Taped up to seal moisture in. Allowed to set in the garage for about a week while out hunting, upon returning repeated the process.

I then got out the turkey fryer, built an aluminum foil cover around the pedicle to keep the steam off the velvet big enough to cover the pot. I then simmered it below boiling for about an hour, and power washed it with the plastic on to protect the velvet.

Got some peroxide from the hair salon, and soaked the skull until it was fairly white, I don’t like pure paper white, I like a little tint.

It’s been a year, everything is still good except a little scrap from moving. Working on a plaque and final skull touch up now.

e65b731c6a862aa774a646e90460a869.jpg

depending on size i’ve done the borax powder, into a trash bag,and left it in my freezer for a few months