Velvet factor

VANDAL

WKR
Bored tonight so I re scored this years archery buck for the first time since artificial velvet was put on. Surprisingly it scored just over 182. When the original velvet was stripped and hard horned he scored 174.

Is this a common bulk up from velvet? Or did I score wrong the first time?

I never thought it would add this much...but thinking about he has 13 scoreable pts and in total 22 measurements so that equates to .36 inches per measurement.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard you can minus 10% for velvet. So, a but scoring 176" with velvet would be 160". It appears yours was closer to 5%, so that blows that theory away.

TEmbry

WKR
Velvet really adds nothing for length, but it will add a few inches in mass. The bigger the mass, the more inches in velvet added.

Your numbers sound spot on from my somewhat limited experience with velvet buck scoring.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Go with 182, he was in velvet when you killed him, and the tape is right in front of you.

Good job! Now give us a pic so we don't have to dig up the other thread. Are you mounting him, too?

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Interesting, thanks guys. I'll look at bucks a little differently now during summer scouting.

archery buck.jpg

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Not mounting. He's propped up in my basement bar on a window seal. Looks good.

ElkNut1

WKR
Boy, that is one clean Velvet Muley there! Nice! I have one on the wall here that scores 187 in full velvet that my son took with a bow but it's not as "clean" looking as yours!

ElkNut1

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
He looks good and around 180 to me.

I had a buck I cut the skull on then later ordered the faux Mountian Mike's skull so I could go full euro and really liked it. It's hard to get the antlers square with the skull, so when they "5 minutes", just add 55 more and you've got it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It's about a dollar an inch when I had one done in 2010. That is not gross score, just bone, so inside spread not counted. Vandal can give us current pricing.

I love my artificial velvet way more than the real stuff

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
It's pricey.

I believe it was $100 flat fee and then $.75/antler inch plus shipping. It cost me around $225.