Venice, LA & Pascagoula, MS lodging

In April, I'm going to meet up with my uncle and two cousins for a deep sea fishing charter based out of Venice, LA.

Looking for lodging and dining recommendations. At 6'0, I'm the runt of the litter, so we will need some decent sized beds.

My cousins will likely only be able to fly in for the weekend. After they leave, my uncle and I will head over towards Pascagoula to do some inland fishing. Looking for a place that can accommodate the two of us and a small boat.

ask the charter what they suggest. as I recall, you won’t see anything name brand once you leave belle chase. There are a couple of off brand hotels in Venice and buras and some people rent out camps. Light house lodge is one that some friends stayed at. I drove down from Nola so didn’t stay overnight.

Selous

FNG
Who are you chartered with in Venice? Often, they'll know of available lodging in/near Venice that won't necessarily show up online. Historically, the Venice Marina Restaurant has been pretty good - there aren't many options down there (2 or 3 maybe). There are many, many more options back toward NOLA, and Belle Chase would be the closest area - that's about an hour from Venice.

Can't help with Pascagoula.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
Who are you chartered with in Venice? Often, they'll know of available lodging in/near Venice that won't necessarily show up online. Historically, the Venice Marina Restaurant has been pretty good - there aren't many options down there (2 or 3 maybe). There are many, many more options back toward NOLA, and Belle Chase would be the closest area - that's about an hour from Venice.

Can't help with Pascagoula.
Canyon Runner. The Cypress Cove marina and lodge is right there, but it looks like their beds are doubles.

lmeyer

WKR
Venice marina has trailers they rent. Nothing fancy but clean and have a kitchen. Walking distance to the marina bar and restaurant. Cypress cove marina had a hotel don't know if it's still running.

schmalzy

WKR
In April, I'm going to meet up with my uncle and two cousins for a deep sea fishing charter based out of Venice, LA.

Looking for lodging and dining recommendations. At 6'0, I'm the runt of the litter, so we will need some decent sized beds.

My cousins will likely only be able to fly in for the weekend. After they leave, my uncle and I will head over towards Pascagoula to do some inland fishing. Looking for a place that can accommodate the two of us and a small boat.

Any specific reason you’re going to Pascagoula? A few better options not too far from there. My only experience is being in the shipyard there but my buddies from Mississippi always fished elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
We’ve rented some of the condos across from the marina that were very nice. Always went through Mexican Gulf in Venice, great outfit. If you’re there for a couple days make sure to have dinner at Black Velvet in Buras...unbelievable food.

Yellow cotton cabins in Venice. I’ve stayed there twice and I’ve got no complaints. Full kitchen too.
As far as food, Salvos in Belle Chasse. It’s hands down the greatest seafood meal I’ve ever had in my life. They have an all you can eat that starts at around 4:00? For around $40 that I would make the 12hr drive from Oklahoma just to go eat there again. That’s the only time in my life where I’ve been able to get full from seafood. That meal would’ve cost $250+ anywhere up here. I dream about that place.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
Any specific reason you’re going to Pascagoula? A few better options not too far from there. My only experience is being in the shipyard there but my buddies from Mississippi always fished elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My uncle has fished over that way a handful of times. Not Pascagoula proper, but west of there a bit. He knows a friend of a friend there.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
Thanks for the input. I floated some of the places by the group. The taller gents decided they are ok with double beds (as long as we're not sharing), so we will be staying at the marina to make revelry easier.

Instead of going to Pascagoula, my uncle and I will stay on and fish out of Venice.

Will definitely check out some of the restaurant suggestions.

wavygravy

FNG
We go every year. Check out VRBO for the floating cabins, they're awesome and the guides will pick you up from your dock. No better than sitting on the dock watching the sun set and having a beer watching the boats come and go. There's a bunch in the Venice marina there. Most all come with a deep freezer, kitchens, decent beds and and wagon to get your shiz from the car.

Pro tip: instead of cooking at night, bring a bag of filets to the Venice Marina Restarant and they'll cook your catch for something like $5pp, fried, blackened, grilled, we get it all with a pile of curly fries and some cold beverages. Heaven on a plate.

Pro pro tip, hang out around the cleaning station for when the snapper and tuna charters come in with a filet knife. They never cut out the snapper or tuna cheeks and it's fair game. Better than scallops

and last one: Pass a $20 tip to the fish cleaners and ask if anyone left their catch. You would be surprised at how much tuna is left by anglers and they'll throw a few bags at you.

We stayed at the trailers offered by the marina. Saw a bunch of the floating houses with rent or Vrbo signs on them. That seems awesome can’t wait to go back.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
I was hoping post pictures of monster yellow fin and mahi this weekend, but the charter was canceled due to 7-9ft seas.

We're trying to reschedule for late August.

Fitzwho

WKR
Weather has been bad down there the last couple weeks. It will be hot in August, but the wind is usually settled out pretty good.

Saltgrass Lodge is an awesome spot. The redfish are good in August as well.

There are a ton of houseboats for rent in Venice. Often times your charter capt can pick you up at the houseboat. Talk about curbside service. I’ve fished with Eddie Burger quite a few times and would highly recommend him.

Not sure about Pascagoula

I was hoping post pictures of monster yellow fin and mahi this weekend, but the charter was canceled due to 7-9ft seas.

We're trying to reschedule for late August.
Then all you have to worry about are hurricanes and more lightning. ;-)

If in were making a long trip to fish N gulf coast I’d probably shoot for early June. Probably the most predictable and calm weather. That being said, August still a safer bet than late April.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
Then all you have to worry about are hurricanes and more lightning. ;-)

If in were making a long trip to fish N gulf coast I’d probably shoot for early June. Probably the most predictable and calm weather. That being said, August still a safer bet than late April.