Venison heart recipes

dueaston

FNG
My by far favorite is to pickle it in thin strips. I use mcormicks pickling spice and same recipe most people used for fish. There is something about the texture the stays fairly firm with the heart and I could sit there and eat the whole pale.

I have always enjoyed this as well. My family will make a batch of sweet pickles, like the bread & butter flavor and add the heart strips to the jar. If we already have pickles on hand then we will add it to whatever we have.

You can get real creative too, such as adding hot peppers and getting a sweet and spicy flavor. It really makes a delicious snack or additive to a fish fry.

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
I like to season with salt and pepper. Toss a half stick of butter into my cast iron skillet with some shallots, garlic and shiitake mushrooms. The. Add a half a cup of brandy, once burned off throw in sliced hearts for about 90 sec to 2 min tops! Life changing meal! Hahaha!

Anyone have a good recipe for heart? I always loved to fry mine up with some mushrooms, onions, garlic and butter in my cast iron skillet. Just want to try something new! Here’s pic for you guys to drool over from this years rifle buck here in Pa.

I do moose and caribou heart the same way except I dredge in flour after seasoning. Your photo looks like something I'd enjoy for dinner. Don't get much venison up here unless I go to Kodiak, or back home to Idaho for a whitetail hunt.

jfs82

WKR
Teriyaki heart works out well, thin cut then grilled. Also for those who like spicy, based on a Peruvian heart recipe... Marinade in garlic, chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, fresh hot pepper (or pepper paste), red wine vinegar oil all blended together. then kebab and broil or grill

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry no photo but I found a bag of Gemsbok heart in the freezer. I sautéed some peppers and onion in the disk. Threw in the heart strips with Fiesta Fajita seasoning. Put everything on a corn tortilla with Pico, Sour Cream, And cheese. It was phenomenal