Venison heart

jmez

WKR
Fixed a deer heart tonight. Used Rinella recipe, seared venison heart with whisky butter sauce.

I was skeptical, my boys wanted to eat it. Highly recommend the recipe!!! It was really good!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
jmez

jmez

WKR
Ready for the sauce.
4aec67dfd99cc6f14f0bccdb01ef4ad2.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I cooked one for a buddy this past week. He loved it so much he asked for the heart from my deer the next day.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
I have eaten many visceral meat & organs, along with other crawling creatures around the world, but gout no longer allows this delicacy.

I envy you guys!

I never used to eat the hearts but was also inspired by Rinella to try to use more of the animal. Had two venison hearts and cooked them over the holiday weekend. My wife and sister are both chefs so had pressure and also pro opionions. Did 1 with that same whisky butter recipe and it was excellent but they felt like the heart was so rich it had more potential in another dish. The next night we worked together and made bao buns out of it - they were ridiculously good! Highly recommend.

422AC196-73E7-4E7B-B4E6-E3B3378B014D.jpeg
I’m really into heart, especially grilled. Looking forward to trying that whiskey butter recipe. Unfortunately that’ll be next year because I already ate this beauty.

peterk123

WKR
We just had the heart last night. Butter, slat and lots of black pepper. Served rare. What a great cut!

Haney

FNG
Heart is some good stuff, I will have to try the Rinella method . I have had it prepared many ways, so far my favorite is pickled .

boom

WKR
i love the heart.

in Peru, they do a thing called Anticucho. its a skewer. street food. super super good. i havent cracked the code domestically yet.

Stalker69

WKR
I’ve eaten a lot of heart, when we were young my dad made it quite regularly. ( along with liver, brains, kidneys and tongue) And he made it many different ways. When I moved out on my own, I have never eaten it sense, it was ok most of the ways, but never ever something I would choose to eat. If it was the only thing available, and I was really hungry, sure. Not into any of the organs, liver being the worst. When he would make liver, I would go to bed without dinner those nights. Tried it many times, nooooo way am I going to make a meal out of it. One bite, was one to many. I would always bring back the heart, liver, tongue, kidney and brains for him once he got to where he couldn’t hunt any more. Now I leave them in the field for the coyotes, bears and birds.

Last edited:
The best heart I ever made was wrapped in bacon and hot smoked on the grill. Also inspired by Rinella's caul fat wrapped heart from an episode.

I pull every heart that I'm fairly certain to be intact. After the elk tongue thread, I kept three of those too. I see lengua tacos in my future.

Trevor96

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a few, sliced, in the slow cooker all day, put it in a sandwich. Simple but very good

cnelk

WKR
I made venison heart last night, along with venison Backstrap.

For the heart, I just sliced it and coated it in seasoned flour and fried it.

My gf was over for supper and turned her nose up at it until she ate some. Then it was the best thing she had. Didn’t even eat the Backstrap!

17AA02AC-74F7-4220-8F1B-70F75B883165.jpegE6E03025-8529-42A3-A01C-968BE0CEBF4B.jpeg292D7109-54E4-4AD0-9CBE-517CBE1FD54A.jpeg

Tyler C

FNG
Vinny heart is amazing! My preferred method is to cut it into strips and make heart fajitas. I have yet to find anyone who doesn’t like it that way and I have served it to some of the squeamyish of the squeamy.